BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 03:14 AM   #1
Kawinma

Model: 7290
Carrier: AT&T
Exclamation BB says No Service when there is

Please Login to Remove!

I'm currently at a friend's house, and my 7280 is saying no coverage, when my friend -- on the same provider, Cingular -- has a full signal coverage bar on her Nokia.

Is there something wrong with my BB? I've used her SIM card in it, and it said the same thing. Hopefully there's a fix to this, since I've already tried taking the battery out for 30s-1m, as Cingular has said to do in the past. This has happened before, but it got fixed by removing then reentering the battery.

I was able to momentarily connect to the network to make a call -- because I can't afford BB service at the moment, so it's only a phone and planner -- and I was able to connect to VM for about.. 2 seconds, then the signal died again.

Any help appreciated in advance!

(7280 running 4.0.2.49)
Old 02-26-2006, 03:31 AM   #2
Postalrecon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: N80

Don't you have to have blackberry service to use the phone, I'm not too sure about this one, did you compare it to another BB from cingular, do you have this problem everywhere?

http://xninjax.vox.com/
Old 02-26-2006, 03:41 AM   #3
Kawinma

As far as I can tell, you don't need BB service to use just the phone part. I haven't compared it to another BB from Cingular, and so far I do seem to have the problem everywhere. I'm not sure if it's Cingular or my phone, because Cingular isn't -open- on Sundays or after 6 on Saturdays..

I've used the BB as a phone for about a month, so I'd imagine if it started not working now then that would be a bit odd..
Old 02-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Postalrecon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: N80

I would definetly take it to a tech support person at cingular then, they probably will replace it. Just remember to back it up before you do.

http://xninjax.vox.com/
Old 02-26-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
aergina
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8350i
Carrier: ATT & Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawinma
I'm currently at a friend's house, and my 7280 is saying no coverage, when my friend -- on the same provider, Cingular -- has a full signal coverage bar on her Nokia.

Is there something wrong with my BB? I've used her SIM card in it, and it said the same thing. Hopefully there's a fix to this, since I've already tried taking the battery out for 30s-1m, as Cingular has said to do in the past. This has happened before, but it got fixed by removing then reentering the battery.

I was able to momentarily connect to the network to make a call -- because I can't afford BB service at the moment, so it's only a phone and planner -- and I was able to connect to VM for about.. 2 seconds, then the signal died again.

Any help appreciated in advance!

(7280 running 4.0.2.49)
Maybe you need to change ur SIM card...replace ur battery...or maybe it's ur friends house...was it working before???

7520.8700c.8310.8350i
Old 02-26-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Battery will have nothing to do with signal issues

SIM card, maybe

Friends house????? what does that have to do with it? if her friends phone has full serivce, then the BB should have at least some service if not full.

Your first and best option is to replace the SIM card, then if that doesnt work have it replaced
Old 02-26-2006, 11:42 PM   #7
Kawinma

Okay, so it seems like coverage for some odd reason wasn't hitting my BB.. I'm back at home now. I'll check about the SIM card, and go into a Cingular store sometime this week. It works fine now that I'm back in Visalia. Sadly, it can't be replaced since it's a used one.. >.<

But it was working intermittently, like.. it'll make a few calls, then die. It was very, very odd.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:58 AM   #8
kunal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

did you drop the bb a once/couple of times?

ive had two 7290s so far, and another one on its way, because i dropped them and the network/antenna inside got lose.

kunal
Old 02-27-2006, 11:58 PM   #9
Kawinma

I've dropped the BB a few times, sometimes a bit -too- hard, however it's been in the Speck case so I never worried about it.

I went into the Cingular store, waited a bit, talked with the guy while he was charging the BB, then he put in a new SIM and we declared it dead after it kept searching for network. An hour later when I take it home and set it down on the table, it shows "Data connection refused", and I know I'm back in business. Maybe the antenna got loose on the inside, that would definitely explain the erratic behaviour of the unit.

Thanks everyone for your help, I'm going to try to keep this one as long as I can before I (try) to buy a new one!
Closed Thread