Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
happyslug

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: none
Default Storm on Vodafone (UK)

Please Login to Remove!

Hello - 2 questions as I am thinking of getting a Storm for work.

1. I had a 7xxx way back and I understand how I got it to pick up my hotmail and isp email. But I will want my Storm to connect to my work's Exchange. Does this work? Does the Vodafone Blackberry service connect to the office's Exchange and then that pushes the email to me? or Do I need to set Exchange to push the emails to my Blackberry? Either way do I need to configure my Exchange differently to now?

It may be worth nothing a colleague uses an IPhone and receives emails but not sure how that's done.

Also he claims that calendar etc are also synchronised all via GSM - will Blackberry do the same?

2. Web Browsing - I will want to connect to my CRM system which is exposed on the internet. When I do it on my crappy phone it works as in it converts the screens to phone size as it has the ability to know what device is being used. On the Iphone it appears to try to do it as if in the office i.e full screen so it doesn't work well as there is too much info at too small a resolution - and increasing the resolution just makes it unworkable. How will the Blackberry render the content?

Sorry for the long email ;)
Old 02-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
david_uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone

1. First, check that your company has a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) to sync data from Exchange with yours or other BBs. If it has, check if they will allow you to add your device to the BES. If they will, then have your SIM provisioned for BES by Voda UK who will try to charge you £25 pm for the privilege. If all this works, you'll end up with real time messaging and over-the-air sync of your calendar and contacts, ie the full-on corporate BlackBerry experience.

That your colleague appears to enjoy similar functionality on his Apple device suggests that your company allows non-corporate devices to sync with its Exchange server, which is a promising start.

2. I have absolutely no idea how your CRM system will display on your Storm. This is another reason why I suggest you make an early trip to your company's IT dept before committing to additional fees from your carrier.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
happyslug

Thanks for the reply.

I know for sure we do not have Blackerry Server.

IT department will be fine to allow me to use the Blackberry device, or any other to pick up email so won't be any politics there.

I was hopeful Vodafone Blackberry service would be able to connect to the Exchange server.

I need to get my hands on one to try out CRM but I doubt my local store will have any to show me.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
happyslug

So AstraSync seems to do the job.

Anyone got any experience?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
ashleyneiltaylor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone

They may allow POP or IMAP to exchange from the Internet... If so, you could use BIS to connect
Closed Thread