Old 04-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
untethered
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: 2438D1AC
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Exporting Contacts from SIM Card to Word Doc or PDF

Please Login to Remove!

I know this sounds like an odd request because normally the address book / contacts on the SIM card are synched with outlook - so bear with me.

A friend was tragically killed last weekend. He had a Google Android phone with the same carrier as myself - TMobile - albiet I have a BB 8320. His phone was destroyed in the accident. His parents gave me the SIM card and I got the unenviable job of reconfiguring my Curve, getting his voice mails and calls for a few days, as well as reaching out to everyone in his address book.

That said, the family would like all of the contacts on the SIM card. Is there an easy way to export it without combining it with MY contacts.

I'm no expert - but when I inserted his card, my aftermarket icons/theme and address book are fully in tact. Tweeking the APN enabled the phone aspect - which was a little unnerving given the circumstances. When I go into my contacts and hit the BBerry key, I get an option to view the SIM Phone Book. Easy enough - but the next option is Copy All To Address Book. That would be chaos... They would be intermingled with my own contacts.

Is there an easy way without fouling up my own address book?

I was surprised my contacts etc still showed up without my SIM card...
Old 04-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Sorry for your loss. Your contacts on your BB are stored on internal memory, rather than your own SIM. BlackBerries do this by default though not all other phones do. I would suggest you do a full backup of your own device and then wipe it. Then copy the SIM contacts to your BB and perform a sync with Outlook. You can then export the contact list from Outlook to a file that can be given to the family.

Then restore your backup to your device, which will replace the imported contacts with your backed up ones.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
untethered
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: 2438D1AC
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
Sorry for your loss. Your contacts on your BB are stored on internal memory, rather than your own SIM. BlackBerries do this by default though not all other phones do. I would suggest you do a full backup of your own device and then wipe it. Then copy the SIM contacts to your BB and perform a sync with Outlook. You can then export the contact list from Outlook to a file that can be given to the family.

Then restore your backup to your device, which will replace the imported contacts with your backed up ones.

Aargh! Arduous - but he would do the same for me. It looks like that's the path I'll have to take. Thank you very much for the response & condolences. I'm not a frequent poster - but an avid tech-abuser and this is always a great resource!
Closed Thread