Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #21
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

Please Login to Remove!

No .. I imagine Apple will update the OS for a period of time and as long as Att supports the GPRS/EDGE network (unsure on timeframe) the devices that run on it will be around. Like when the analog / digital conversion took place.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #22
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jletendre View Post
No .. I imagine Apple will update the OS for a period of time and as long as Att supports the GPRS/EDGE network (unsure on timeframe) the devices that run on it will be around. Like when the analog / digital conversion took place.
The OS yes, the original iphone, absolutely not. Once the 3G iphone comes out, the 1 gen iphone is effectively dead, no one will want one. There has already been talk of shortages of iphones as Apple ceases production to concentrate producing the new 3G model.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #23
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

I don't think this is a proper comparison anyhow. The Blackberry does certain things much better than any other platform and RIM will continue to develop their products to keep that edge. Other devices may perform some functions better than the BB, and users that place high value on those functions should absolutely look at suitable devices. The BB isn't for everyone, but for me, that's all I need and want.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #24
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jletendre View Post
I think the core issue with this "debate" is you are talking about two totally different markets .. corporate world and general populace.
I think there are a couple of flawed assumptions made above and this is one of them. The corporate and consumer worlds do have some overlap but honestly, a nice UI with great email formatting and web browsing isn't going to cut it for an enterprise-wide device replacement. We have to have management tools. Our users might love multimedia support but there's no business need for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander View Post
That being said, the Palm was once king, and Windows CE based devices overtook them. Made Palm look old and outdated.
I think this analogy is flawed as well. WM has had plenty of time to kill off BB IMO. I haven't honestly tracked info on the 9000 or future BB models so I can't really make any educated guesses as to where RIM is heading. They are in a tricky situation though of trying to appease their traditional user base while courting the mass consumer market at the same time. We'll see how well they pull through this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander View Post
I still content that the iPhone will do the same to the BlackBerry. I understand the argument of great email and security, but I think too much is made of the security part. The company I work for uses simple POP3/SMTP for mail. And a great many companies I have worked for, large and small, allow POP3 access.
It's a bit difficult to have a meaningful discussion about larger trends when you base it on anecdotal evidence. In my experiences, none of my employers have ever allowed POP or IMAP access and don't even allow forwarding. Security definitely is a major issue.

Apple's innovations with the iPhone are great and they will make a difference in the consumer market. You can get by on looks and bells and whistles there (I mean, look at how well the RAZR did). However, there are a lot of practical matters that are important that Apple needs to address to make inroads into the corporate world. I don't even really know if that's even their intent or on the horizon for them.

In any case, we'll see. Apple's going to need to do more than just appeal to the high end consumer market to kill off RIM.

Last edited by takeshi; 05-06-2008 at 10:38 AM..
Old 05-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #25
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Apple's innovations with the iPhone are great and they will make a difference in the consumer market. You can get by on looks and bells and whistles there (I mean, look at how well the RAZR did).
iphone compared to the RAZR??? Please, the RAZR was all look and no function. It sold well, but was a disaster as a phone. The iphone looks good and works well.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #26
yuanzhoulu
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

why i chose BB over the iPhone (NOT for work -- i'm a college student):

- real keyboard. i can't type well on a touch screen
- it's rugged, just looks stronger than an iPhone to me
- batteries can be changed if necessary
- i simply don't like the iPhone's (and most of Apple's) aesthetics. personal preference.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #27
jklm486
No longer Registered.

Model: 1
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 1
Lightbulb 4

thanks a lot!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #28
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuanzhoulu View Post
- it's rugged, just looks stronger than an iPhone to me
It not really. The iphone is very solid and since there are virtually no buttons or battery hatches, the device is more durable then the BB. The glass screen is just about unscratchable and you don't have to worry about the dreaded pocket lint in the trackball.
Closed Thread