redhandeddenial
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vzw

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
That's good news...thanks for posting the update. I can see how VZNav could be a drain, but I'd hope Opera and Media Player would be pretty negligable just sitting in the background.

i can see how vznav could be draining...it uses signal from 3 towers to triangulate your position.....that means dealing with 3 signals and translating that data
Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 PM   #42
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejfiii View Post
Day two update.

Unplug from allnight charge at 7:30am. 6 or so short calls and 10 emails before 9am. 9-10am conference call. 10 more short calls and about 20 emails by 1pm. Low battery indicator on. On 10 minute call at 2:30 and the phone hangs up from lack of power. Here's where it gets interesting. Plug into car charger and it shows as charging. Problem is it says the battery is so low it wont let me use the radio (phone). This lasted 30 minutes of being plugged into the car charger. Finally it let me make a call.

This is all with BES and no pop email, yes BT headset, no roaming, no internet or text messages.

So I called the VIP number and got a note in my account that my phone was defective and I went to the local store and swapped it out for a new one tonight.

BES is synchronizing right now and I will charge it through the night again. I will update as appropriate tomorrow. I hope its not the phone design.
Please keep us updated. Once again my phone is dead this evening. I was on the phone less than an hour all day, didn't play with it hardly at all, and had maybe a handfull of texts. Maybe it's just defective...
Old 11-13-2007, 11:42 PM   #43
miklm

So far, I seem to be having comparable battery life from the Pearl as from my Motorola Q. With the Q, I had a car charger, a travel charger in my overnight bag, a home charger (cradle) and a USB cable at work to charge, so I was never away from power (and also a spare battery in the cradle, which often came in handy).

The good thing is, the USB cable/car charger/spare wall charger will all work with the Pearl since they are just standard 5-pin USB so that saves me some money. I'll probably buy a spare battery and charger for it to leave on my desk at home, since that came in quite handy for the Q (and Treo previously, and other phones before that) -- I'm very paranoid about being caught with a dead battery, as my cell is my only contact number.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #44
digital21
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
My 7130 and my 8830 held a charge all day while being used extensively. Don't know why you think it's not possible.

Here's an idea... take a look at the original thread. I'm asking for input on how other's batteries are doing compared to mine. It appears that the split is about 50/50 on good/bad. We are not bashing the phone.

hmmm, here is a better idea, how about you look at my first post on here, where I gave my input on how the battery is great. 2nd - I'm not bashing the phone at all, I have the phone and its great. I'm just say if people are so upset that there new pearl wont hold a charge all day and its the end of the world to just plug it in through out the day. Then simple, take the phone back and get something that fits your needs.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #45
scheule523

Once I stopped playing with it constantly, I can get about 2 days worth out of my 8130. I have BIS with 2 email accounts set up on it (a BB account and gmail). I never really put it in standby mode, but did change the backlight to 20 secs from the default 30.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #46
seidioseidio
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
Ask Seidio if it will work (the guy used to be on this forum quite a bit, esp when a new product came out). They also make a 2400mAH battery/cover. The cover has a speaker opening that makes it a lot louder too. I have the slim extended one (Tmob) and am a moderate user (on all day, off during night, not a lot of talk, mostly email/txt/mms). Mine goes about 4-5 days to 20%. I have a hunch some email accounts drain it more, but my OEM battery went 3 days. Be aware that you can't use the thin snap on cases with the bigger battery, the skins/pouches are fine.
Sorry guys...I'm not sure how I missed this thread!

We are definitely working on batteries for the Pearl 2 but unfortunately our old version doesn't work with the new phone. We will definitely keep you posted on its progress.

Thanks,
Old 11-14-2007, 06:11 PM   #47
spikus

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post

We are definitely working on batteries for the Pearl 2 but unfortunately our old version doesn't work with the new phone. We will definitely keep you posted on its progress.

Thanks,
seidio...thank you....appreciate you guys being on top of it...look forward to the extended battery.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:09 AM   #48
holanni

My battery seems to drain fast too. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I surfed the web for literally two minutes, and the battery went down 5%. Yesterday, it was fully charged at 7:00 am. I checked maybe two or three emails and had one 3 minute conversation. It went down to 85%.

Is this normal? I'm tempted to take it back to Verizon and see if I can exchange it for another battery, but I don't know if that's just the way it's supposed to be. ??

Last edited by holanni; 11-16-2007 at 07:22 AM..
Old 11-15-2007, 12:32 AM   #49
roverradio

I too am having the problem with the car charger. It's almost as if the car charger does noting. My battery went out and it cut radio. Plugged into car charger and the plugged in icon displayed, but it still woudln't let me make a call - it said radio was turned off due to low battery.

Shouldn't the phone be running off the car charger juice at that time and let you make a call???

Last edited by roverradio; 11-16-2007 at 01:06 AM..
Old 11-15-2007, 01:10 AM   #50
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

It can take a while for the radio back on again on its own, but I believe there may be a way to turn the radio on via the menus once you're on power...someone else will have to confirm that.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:12 AM   #51
pattachan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 3041CDB8
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I get two solid days out of my pearl. I don't use BT and I don't use GPS. Two days after unplugging I'm at about 15% and I could probably get another half day if I had anywhere to plug it in at work...
Old 11-16-2007, 12:59 AM   #52
Yechidah

Carrier: VZW

I was just about to post a thread similar to this but decided to search first and found this =).

I'm having similar battery problems. Unplug at 7:30 am and it's on low battery by 6:00pm. This is with no phone conversations and very limited BES emailing, maybe 10 emails. I have a feeling my problem is related to the fact that where I sit at work I bounce between no signal and 1 bar. Does anyone know if there is a way to change how the 8130 behaves when it can't find a network?
Old 11-16-2007, 01:03 AM   #53
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post

Thanks,
Your battery should work right? You just need to develop a new cover?

Jared
Old 11-16-2007, 01:04 AM   #54
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverradio View Post
I to am having the problem with the car charger. It's almost as if the car charger does noting. My battery went out and it cut radio. Plugged into car charger and the plugged in icon displayed, but it still woudln't let me make a call - it said radio was turned off due to low battery.

Shouldn't the phone be running off the car charger juice at that time and let you make a call???
Even when you plug it in the battery must be at a certain level before you can turn the radio on. Plug it in before the radio turns off or you'll have to wait several minutes.

Jared
Old 11-16-2007, 01:06 AM   #55
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by holanni View Post
My battery seems to drain fast too. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I surfed the web for literally two minutes, and the battery went down 5%. Yesterday, it was fully charged at 7:00 am. I checked maybe two or three emails and had one 3 minute conversation. It went down to 85%.

Is this normal? I'm tempted to take it back to Verizon and see if I can exchange it for another battery, but I don't know if that's just the way it's supposed to be. ??
I'm not thinking that's the way it's supposed to be. Others are quoting good time out of their phones. We may either have some bad batteries or something like that..
Old 11-16-2007, 01:08 AM   #56
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital21 View Post
hmmm, here is a better idea, how about you look at my first post on here, where I gave my input on how the battery is great. 2nd - I'm not bashing the phone at all, I have the phone and its great. I'm just say if people are so upset that there new pearl wont hold a charge all day and its the end of the world to just plug it in through out the day. Then simple, take the phone back and get something that fits your needs.
You're obviously still lost. We are not talking about taking the phone back. The phone shouldn't have to be charged mid-day unless it sees very heavy usage. We are just trying to get to the bottom of why. If others are getting good life out of their battery then obviously the phone is capable, we just need to figure out why.

Jared
Old 11-16-2007, 07:11 AM   #57
holanni

Well, it seems like my battery is working normally now. I took it to the Verizon store to try to exchange it, but they didn't have any batteries in stock yet. The rep there told me to let the battery die completely, then charge it fully before turning it on. It seems like that did the trick! Now I've gone 16 hours on one charge and the power is still at 80%. Yippee!

Last edited by holanni; 11-16-2007 at 07:12 AM..
Old 11-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #58
digital21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
You're obviously still lost. We are not talking about taking the phone back. The phone shouldn't have to be charged mid-day unless it sees very heavy usage. We are just trying to get to the bottom of why. If others are getting good life out of their battery then obviously the phone is capable, we just need to figure out why.

Jared
Sorry, not lost at all. I was just tired of reading how upset you were that battery wasn't living up to your high expectations. I was hoping you would just take it back and stop complaining about it. Well we will never agree on this, I think the battery is great and you think it could be better. So well just leave it at that and move on.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:54 PM   #59
jseah

Model: 9530
PIN: 30496979

I know my office is a huge drain on battery (the building makes the phone constantly switch in and out of EVDO). I plug my phone in when I'm sleeping to fully charge it. My first day at work since getting the phone (Monday) by the battery was at 40% by the time I left the office (and it was at 20% by the time I went to bed). Yesterday, I listened to mp3's for probably about 4-5 hours while at work and I had plugged it in to recharge while I was out at lunch. By the time I left the office, my phone was still at 90%. It was at 80% by the time I went to bed and plugged the phone back in to recharge at home.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #60
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Another data point...I asked a friend about his Pearl, and the first thing he said is that he is not happy w/the battery life. It lasts less than a day with the same use level that allowed him up to three days on his 8830. He's not using bluetooth, doesn't use the browser, doesn't play music - primary use is email (BES), text, and calls.

Those of you having battery life issues, can you post if you have bluetooth enabled, and what features (like playing music or videos, taking pictures, etc.) you're regurlarly making use of? Is battery life improving at all from initial results?
Closed Thread