BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 01:18 PM   #41
soch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8220
Carrier: tmo

Please Login to Remove!

I would like to know the extra weight that will be added.

If it is true that RIM didn't make a powerful battery can't the original be replaced by a more powerful one?

Moto Q extendend battery setup from Seidio degrades the slick look of the Moto Q smartphone.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #42
rkkeller
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I am not interested. I charge my Pearl every night, have a travel charger ($5 on Ebay) and also have a car charger ($1 on Ebay).

Much less than the cost of a battery.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:49 PM   #43
Tixxx

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

I'd like the extended battery. I spend much of my weekends out and about and sometimes without a car. I'd like to have one last all weekend without as much worry. Guess I'd have to get a new rubberized case and back, but if a nice combo were offered, that would be great!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #44
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by soch

If it is true that RIM didn't make a powerful battery can't the original be replaced by a more powerful one?

Moto Q extendend battery setup from Seidio degrades the slick look of the Moto Q smartphone.
Extended batteries will always add weight and bulk to a device. You should see the 12 hour battery that I could use with an old Sony camcorder I don't use any longer. It weighed about a pound.

On all my cell phones and PDA's the extended batteries took away the slim form factor, but the trade off is more juice to keep one going.

Here's a crude test. I took one of my spare batteries and placed it on top of the one in the Pearl. Gives you some idea of how thick the phone might be if they doubled the battery power.

Would obviously render all my hard cases useless, which I love.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 12-19-2006 at 02:51 PM..
Old 12-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #45
mrpg

Model: 8320

So are we saying its technically impossible to pack more power into the same dimensions as the current battery? Cause I don't believe that. I think for a premium that can happen and I'm willing to pay that premium.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #46
seidioseidio

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by soch

On Moto Q smartphone, Seidio offers

1) Slim extended battery - same as stock slim battery
2) 2100 Mah extended battery - same size as stock 1600 mah extedned battery
3) 3200 mah extended battery- Only seidio offers this. It requires a new battery door.

David Chang
Seidio
[email address]
Old 12-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #47
secrecyguy

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Extended batteries will always add weight and bulk to a device. You should see the 12 hour battery that I could use with an old Sony camcorder I don't use any longer. It weighed about a pound.

On all my cell phones and PDA's the extended batteries took away the slim form factor, but the trade off is more juice to keep one going.

Here's a crude test. I took one of my spare batteries and placed it on top of the one in the Pearl. Gives you some idea of how thick the phone might be if they doubled the battery power.

Would obviously render all my hard cases useless, which I love.

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/bbextbattery.jpg

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/bbextbattery2.jpg

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/bbextbattery3.jpg
I think very soon someone going to ask you how you cover up the camera and where you got that battery door.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:57 PM   #48
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrecyguy
I think very soon someone going to ask you how you cover up the camera and where you got that battery door.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:32 AM   #49
Berry O Black
Knows Where the Search Button Is

As stated earlyer by Fungineer, RIM batterys now have a security feature built into them so we dont get the " exploding battery game", if you look at your bateries you will see they have a small icon of a lock. The feature was created so third party batteries would not work in our devices. I would rather have RIM make and extended battery than try an aftermarket one. Although I just carry a couple extra batteries w/ me already.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #50
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark
How do you know this?
Because I have used extended batteries from RIM before and they work fine with their case. Always have
Old 12-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #51
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpg
So are we saying its technically impossible to pack more power into the same dimensions as the current battery? Cause I don't believe that. I think for a premium that can happen and I'm willing to pay that premium.
For same weight and size all L-Ion batteries are going to produce the same amount of power. There is no magic here. You would need to use a different chemistry to achive different and increased results.

You will get 3rd party battery makers claim their battery is the same size and has twice the power rating. From my past experience is using these third party batteries, they never exceed the OEM and most the time do not equal the original OEM battery.

If the OEM battery people could pack twice the power in the same size battery, do you think they would do it?
Old 12-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #52
YMark

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
Because I have used extended batteries from RIM before and they work fine with their case. Always have
We're not talking about an extended battery from RIM. We're talking about a third party extended battery that isn't even made yet. I fail to see how you can be sure it will work with their case.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #53
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry O Black
As stated earlyer by Fungineer, RIM batterys now have a security feature built into them so we dont get the " exploding battery game", if you look at your bateries you will see they have a small icon of a lock. The feature was created so third party batteries would not work in our devices. I would rather have RIM make and extended battery than try an aftermarket one. Although I just carry a couple extra batteries w/ me already.
Sorry for the long post below, but I like to use BBF to get my motors turning before getting to work.

_____

In all the 3rd party extended batteries I have used, I have not come across one that did not work. They all have worked for longer than an OEM non-extended battery. I have never come across one that would not work because of encryption or locks on the device. I have never had one leak or explode.

I am curious about this because I have never heard of reputable 3rd party batteries exploding or leaking. I have heard of cheap 3rd party batteries leaking or exploding, but that is due to cheap manufacture, not because the OEM manufacturer has encoded or "locked" the device so that third party batteries would not work [and by implication, explode or leak].

Without having looked into it, seems to me if RIM or any other manufacturer built in security devices so that only OEM batteries could safely be used, that there would be all kinds of warnings to us NOT to use third party batteries because use of such could cause a leak or explosion [a leaking battery inside one's pocket would cause burns].

Where are the warnings about all this? I don't see any on the battery, nothing inside the case, and most telling, nothing in the 240 page owner's manual and warranty statement. Seems if there was a danger of exploding batteries and RIM locked the device to assure that third party batteries could not be used, that there would be warnings to us about the danger of using any non-OEM battery.

I find it hard to believe that those companies making 3rd party batteries would be allowed to do so in circumvention of supposed attempts by OEM's to protect us and that the manufacturers would be allowed to sell batteries that might possibly leak or explode. As to the Pearl, I find it hard to believe that RIM would allow such to go on.

Seems word would have gotten out about this years ago and that 3rd party extended battery sales would be non-existent. [Consider how fast we all heard the news about the Sony battery issue and the recalls. That recall was for the Sony battery, not 3rd party batteries. And no one said that the problem was attributable to 3rd party batteries and those people should look out too, it was strictly the Sony batteries that were recalled. In other words, no one on the news chimed in that 3rd party batteries are hazardous too].

Seems to me "locking codes" on batteries are not for safety, but more to persuade us to buy overpriced OEM products, much in the same fashion that some printer companies have attempted to encode printers to not accept 3rd party toners and inks [e.g., Lexmark attempted to put electronic detector chips in some printers that matched up with chips in their ink jet and toner cartridges. Put in a third party refill, the refill would not work. I think HP unsuccessfully sued 3rd manufacturers for their selling refills that defeated the chip].

You could be right about that the 8100 Pearl battery's lock symbol means that the battery is somehow encrypted, but I don't think it is for safety reasons.

Maybe it's to assure us that the battery is genuine OEM, much like Microsoft disks now have holograms.

Maybe it is also somehow related to the water detector feature, that is, there is a code on the battery that tells the manufacturer that the battery is genuine and that the water detector showing damage has not been switched.

Maybe it's a way to trace the battery's origin for quality control purposes.

Maybe it's to assure compatibility. For example, when I put the RIM 7100t battery into the Pearl, it fired up the device, but I got a "slash over a battery graphic" on the display. So I am sure the Pearl did not get the correct code from the yellow battery, that it was expecting, hence the warning symbol.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 12-20-2006 at 04:14 PM..
Old 12-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #54
DrMoze
Thumbs Must Hurt

SanFran, I agree totally that its not a safety issue, but one of the OEM trying to prevent aftermarket battery sales. I'm aware of one case where a manufacturer is suing an aftermarket seller of batteries. In that case, though, the batteries are protected by design and utility patents.

If aftermarketers try to circumvent the security function (which undoubtedly involves a bit of hardwired code), they might be liable for copyright infringement. Maybe seidio should be aware of that?

As for the higher capacity, I bet it would be poissible to fit a somewhat higher capacity battery in the same form factor as the current battery. Manufacturers don't always squeeze the max volume of battery inside a given casing. Or, there's a bit of space between the battery and the battery cover (with a square of foam) and that extra volume could be used.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:06 PM   #55
seidioseidio

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

There are plenty of opinions and questions here and we'd like to address a few.

"How come BB cannot put 2100mAh into the standard battery and someone else can?"

Blackberry (like every other phone manufacturer) is in the business of selling phones. With all the fierce competition a manufacturer has to cut costs as much as they can. The battery is one of those costs. How can T-Mobile sell you an 8100 for $200.00? Because the pricing is subsidized by RIM. We are in the aftermarket business so we create products that phone manufacturers are not really concerned with. It's simply not their core business. For example, we've sold thousands of our 2400mAh batteries for the Treo 700/650. The original battery is 1800mAh and is the exact same size. Could Palm have produced this battery? Yes, but it would have increased the price of the phone.

"It is impossible to get more power from a battery of the same size and chemistry."

Wrong. All Lithium-Ion cells are not the same. They vary in power and in quality. Many third party battery manufacturers use Chinese cells in their batteries which are very well known in the industry to be of lower quality than Japanese cells. We use Japanese cells in all of our batteries. Others simply claim to have more power than they really do. These are typically the no-name ebay batteries you find really cheap. We buy the largest mAh cells we can to maximize the power in the space available.

"NO 3RD PARTY BATTERY WILL WORK!!!"

Our testing so far has said that it can. Stay tuned and we'll let you know when they're available.

Thank you for your continued support of Seidio products.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #56
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dregan
I may be in the minority but I think the battery life on the pearl is petty decent. Still, you can never have too much battery life so I'd buy an extended battery for the right price. As long as it doesn't affect the form factor. I had an extended battery for the Samsung a900 that stuck out of the back and looked horrible! I Wouldn't buy one of those for my pearl
I got to agree. I do almost 2000 minutes a month and 30 to 60 emails a day and I seldom see less than 1/2 power remaining at the end of the day. Many times it is at 3/4. Most people that want the super extended battery so they do not have to recharge for days!

am I the only one that sleeps at night and plugs the charger into the BB while sleeping? Where are all of you people sleeping at night? Are you not sleeping, i so you need to get off the stuff as it will kill you. If it is the girl friend thing, buy here an extra charger to leave at her house for Christmas!
Old 12-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #57
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidioseidio
There are plenty of opinions and questions here and we'd like to address a few...
Thank you for taking the time to post this information. Very helpful. Makes this Forum worth being a member.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #58
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark
We're not talking about an extended battery from RIM. We're talking about a third party extended battery that isn't even made yet. I fail to see how you can be sure it will work with their case.
Where did I say it would not work with their case. I am simply stating that the RIM extended battery DOES work in it leather case with the swivel clip holster. The RIM is a know size where as the 3rd party battery is not so time will tell. You "failed" to read.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #59
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidioseidio
There are plenty of opinions and questions here and we'd like to address a few.

"How come BB cannot put 2100mAh into the standard battery and someone else can?"

Blackberry (like every other phone manufacturer) is in the business of selling phones. With all the fierce competition a manufacturer has to cut costs as much as they can. The battery is one of those costs. How can T-Mobile sell you an 8100 for $200.00? Because the pricing is subsidized by RIM. We are in the aftermarket business so we create products that phone manufacturers are not really concerned with. It's simply not their core business. For example, we've sold thousands of our 2400mAh batteries for the Treo 700/650. The original battery is 1800mAh and is the exact same size. Could Palm have produced this battery? Yes, but it would have increased the price of the phone.

"It is impossible to get more power from a battery of the same size and chemistry."

Wrong. All Lithium-Ion cells are not the same. They vary in power and in quality. Many third party battery manufacturers use Chinese cells in their batteries which are very well known in the industry to be of lower quality than Japanese cells. We use Japanese cells in all of our batteries. Others simply claim to have more power than they really do. These are typically the no-name ebay batteries you find really cheap. We buy the largest mAh cells we can to maximize the power in the space available.

"NO 3RD PARTY BATTERY WILL WORK!!!"

Our testing so far has said that it can. Stay tuned and we'll let you know when they're available.

Thank you for your continued support of Seidio products.
While I agree that all L-Ions are not created equal it is easy to "promiss" increased performance in the same size package but harder to deliver. There are so many ways to test and spec batteries that it is really hard to compare one brand from another. I have no doubt that "some" extra power would be available in a higher quality battery but little.

Is not Seidio in this to make money, too?

Last edited by greggebhardt; 12-20-2006 at 06:36 PM..
Old 12-20-2006, 07:46 PM   #60
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
While I agree that all L-Ions are not created equal it is easy to "promiss" increased performance in the same size package but harder to deliver. There are so many ways to test and spec batteries that it is really hard to compare one brand from another. I have no doubt that "some" extra power would be available in a higher quality battery but little.

Is not Seidio in this to make money, too?
On power duration and output in batteries of the same size, I know that some manufacturers use cheap or inferior materials, or otherwise cut corners, so the batteries do not perform well, notwithstanding the lies/claims made in advertising.

Far as I know, from investing in lithium battery stock in year 2000, there is a big difference in performance of lithium cells, depending on the quality of the material.
Closed Thread