BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:18 AM   #41
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Its pretty funny how the same questions are asked and answered so many times throughout this thread. Does anyone read the rest of the thread before they post a response?

A) Cingular happens to have posted the most recent update, .88 I think. (http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...?highlight=.88)
B) It will work on any other branded phone, regardless of what version other carriers have put out
C) It will look like your old phone, it will not say Cingular, it will say whatever your carrier is
D) There are no public release notes to say what the update does, most see no changes except maybe longer battery life. The memory leak is no longer an issue with most OS upgardees after .42
E) All apps and your theme should still be there although it will be reset to the theme defaults for color, font size, etc
F) You may lose emails/SMS/TXT/PICS on the device memory, but that is why we back up first

That is the gist of it. People please read the rest of the thread before adding a response.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:30 AM   #42
Barrikin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

The BlackBerry Pearl 8100 has been a tremendous success and clearly a device that our customers want to use. Often, in the early stages of a product, software fixes are required. We are currently testing a software fix that will correct the following two situations which are occurring with some Pearl devices:
  • MemoryLeak – this affects all current inventories. The 64 MB on-board flash memory of the device depletes faster than it should. Users may experience deleted messages and message logs if they are high media users or are storing a lot of photographs and not managing their device’s memory.
  • CallMuting – a very small number of Pearls are experiencing an intermittent problem where the call mutes for about 12 seconds.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:52 AM   #43
Rebel XT

Model: 8100

Just finished going thru the Cingular v.88OS thread, and noticed users who are on BES end up losing their email/internet connection and have to re-setup their pearls with their company's IT dept after an OS ugprade.

Any insights on this for the rogers update??

My pearl is on my company's BES for email, and I also have gmail hooked up on the phone.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:57 AM   #44
jonnykerm

Model: Pearl

Just upgraded all present and correct!

i'm on TMO and it worked fine!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #45
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel XT
Just finished going thru the Cingular v.88OS thread, and noticed users who are on BES end up losing their email/internet connection and have to re-setup their pearls with their company's IT dept after an OS ugprade.

Any insights on this for the rogers update??

My pearl is on my company's BES for email, and I also have gmail hooked up on the phone.

Thanks!

On a BES and on TMobile, I did not have to re-setup anything.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #46
jcheng

Model: 8700

Anybody else having trouble with getting the Update to pop up in Desktop Manager? I've tried everything in this thread but no success. Once in DM, the update doesn't even show in the Application Loader. Any suggestions?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #47
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Welcome to the forums,

Please delete the vendor.xml located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. Then run Desktop Manager again.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #48
jcheng

Model: 8700

Thanks for the advice...and it worked! Kinda ridiculous since I have a Rogers branded Pearl and this is a Roger update. Didn't see why I would have to deal with the Vendor.xml thing.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:31 PM   #49
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK - I am not stupid - I am actually quite technically advanced. But this is my first time trying to upgrade the software on a Blackberry.

I downloaded the new Rogers Update > Ran it> it installed and it asked me to click finish. There was no question about running desktop manager. When I run desktop manager - nothing happens.

I have a Rogers phone and I am running the Rogers update so I did not delete the Vendor XML file.

Please help! What am I doing wrong?

Update: Just saw the post above - Sorry!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:35 PM   #50
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Yes, just delete the vendor.xml anyway. I wish RIM/Carriers would just do away with the whole vendor.xml thing.

Now we have a Rogers update that Rogers BB's won't recognize making it necessary to delete the vendor.xml anyway. Go figure!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #51
aaronkt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Yes, just delete the vendor.xml anyway. I wish RIM/Carriers would just do away with the whole vendor.xml thing.

Now we have a Rogers update that Rogers BB's won't recognize making it necessary to delete the vendor.xml anyway. Go figure!
Oh come on John your getting lazy on us! LOL You usually type it out in a full nice spread. Are you feeling ok?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #52
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Ha ha ha....yeah, I've typed it out a *few* times. It burns me when now, in order to install a Rogers update on a Rogers phone, you have to delete it. It's time to be done with vendor.xml!!
Old 01-24-2007, 11:46 PM   #53
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Ha ha ha....yeah, I've typed it out a *few* times. It burns me when now, in order to install a Rogers update on a Rogers phone, you have to delete it. It's time to be done with vendor.xml!!
I totally agree with you. There is no need for that step to be in there everytime you want to upgrade to a better OS.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:27 AM   #54
Stanley Pain

Model: 8700r

I've informed the people that need to be informed @ Rogers about the Vendor ID being messed up for this release. Hopefully someone will post the proper one soon.

I'd be intersted in hearing from people as to wether or not this code fixes any of the memory leaks, or the mute bug. So far I've tested with one my my customers and they are still having random things deleting.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #55
John Clark
BBF Moderator

This is not new code. TMo (among others) has had this version released for quite some time. That being said, it's outdated by two versions that Cingular released, .69 and .71. For the latest OS use .71.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:52 AM   #56
Stanley Pain

Model: 8700r

Let's just say I was disappointed with the version of code that we released. I was hoping for something newer than .71

I've received word that we'll be posting a newer code revision (not sure if it'll be newer than .71) soon. No firm date as of yet.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:12 PM   #57
starwatcher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

I have a feeling that no one can really answer this. But I want to put it out there anyway.

Does anyone know the difference between the Rogers update and the Cingular update, besides the version numbers being different.

Is there anyway to find out what has been fixed in the Cingular one that is not fixed in the Roges one.

I guess this is an obvious question, if all these updates are compatible between all providers and if the version number indicates newness, and (hopefully) more bugs fixed, why would Rogers release something older?

Just wondering,
Thanks,
Allan
Blackberry Storm
Blackberry Pearl
Old 01-25-2007, 06:14 PM   #58
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

RIM sends release notes to the carriers. The carriers choose not to release them. Each carrier tests specific versions and the carriers decide what to release. RIM writes all the code. It is extremely puzzling to me, as it is to you, why some carriers release "older" code. I guess they have not fully tested the newer code (.71, for example) enough to release it.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:17 PM   #59
John Clark
BBF Moderator

RIM releases the OS's to the carriers. The carrier's test them and release them to us as they see fit. The carriers don't care to educate us on what the bug fixes are. We are left to our own devices to figure it out.

I'm guessing they only released .64 because they (Rogers) are not through testing the later versions yet.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:17 PM   #60
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Ok...I took way too long to type that one, DIDN'T I!!
Closed Thread