Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Talking

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnc View Post
My son has had a similar relationship (I think he is working on his 4th or 5th headset) w/BT headsets. He just brought a Jawbone and absolutely LOVES it, which is a little disappointing to me because I usually get his old hand-me-downs and I was really looking forward to the Jawbone . Guess I'll just have to open up my wallet and buy my own.

I absolutely love the Jawbone. I also had the Voyager 510 which was ok but it wasn't the Jawbone. Dad you are getting the 510 but don't expect the Jawbone anythime soon.

P.S. - Just to clarify this is number 5 for me.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:52 PM   #22
aky

Model: 8100
Carrier: Fido

does this headset look good? i mean it functions good, what about the style?
thx
Old 08-07-2007, 12:49 AM   #23
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

look at the pictures and decide for yourself
Old 08-07-2007, 01:52 AM   #24
xmulder

Model: 8100c
Carrier: at&t

Hi SF,
I noticed from the description of the headset that there is a mute button. Does the button work with the Pearl? I asked this because currently I have a plantronics 510 and somehow its mute button doesn't work with the BB (it works with other cell phones I paired with). I use the mute button on the BT a lot (it comes in handy during conf calls while driving...)

Thanks
Old 08-07-2007, 03:14 AM   #25
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aky View Post
does this headset look good? i mean it functions good, what about the style?
thx
Heck, now people want style advice? I am staying away from that one, way too subjective to opine on that.

Beauty in the eye of the beholder. Just as some people hate the black Pearl, but love the white model.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #26
entropism

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

any word on if these are legit or not? The country of origin and the low price have me hesitant to order one before one of you guys reports back.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #27
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropism View Post
any word on if these are legit or not? The country of origin and the low price have me hesitant to order one before one of you guys reports back.
I have investigated this guy and also other sites, you are right to be concerned. Based on what I have found out, I probably won't be buying any brand name items from HK. Most sites say that 80 to 90 percent of stuff coming out of HK is counterfeit. So not worth the risk. But this seller's headsets are $32 shipping included, so if they work, may be worth that much. But generally, stay away [like I have for most stuff. I don't buy anything expensive from HK, ever].

My recommendation of this headset remains, as I have three of them [bought from U.S. sellers]. They work perfect.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 08-19-2007 at 03:28 AM..
Old 08-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #28
ajs3898

Model: 8320
PIN: CUSHION
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

u sold me SF, i got one on the way from the same seller, cant beat 34 bucks...

Last edited by ajs3898; 08-07-2007 at 12:18 PM..
Old 08-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #29
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

^exactly... i'm just waiting on mine in the mail now cant wait

SF can you PM me the instructions for me to set it up

thanks!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #30
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmulder View Post
Hi SF,
I noticed from the description of the headset that there is a mute button. Does the button work with the Pearl? I asked this because currently I have a plantronics 510 and somehow its mute button doesn't work with the BB (it works with other cell phones I paired with). I use the mute button on the BT a lot (it comes in handy during conf calls while driving...)

Thanks
Sheesh... feels like I am selling these to people, what with all the questions.

I tested the mute feature with a caller, twice. Works fine. You can hear them, but they can't hear you.

End Test
Old 08-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #31
Tremo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
No, because I don't use voice dialing. Never have trained it, etc.

I have an LG HBM-730 bluetooth headset that came with my company phone (Verizon), and I was able to pair it also with my BB 8100. Works fine for calls.

BUT.. the voice recognition on the BB sux. The VR on the company LG8300 Verizon phone is WAY better. I was able to "train" the LG phone using an internal program. Is there such a training program available in the BB 8100? It needs one, because it can't tell the difference between "call home" and Call Ted".
Old 08-07-2007, 05:01 PM   #32
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
^exactly... i'm just waiting on mine in the mail now cant wait

SF can you PM me the instructions for me to set it up

thanks!
It's actually very simple.

You fully charge the Nokia or if you can't wait, at least 1/2 hour to get enough power to fire it up and get connected.

There are two BlueTooth icons on the Pearl, one to turn BlueTooth on and off; the other to set up the Pearl to communicate or connect with whatever devices you have. This is commonly called "pairing."

YOU HAVE TO PAIR A DEVICE BEFORE IT WORKS WITH THE PEARL.

Most people who have problems connecting simply turn bluetooth on and fail to setup or pair the device. [the pairing procedure is necessary as a security feature. If one could simply connect a device to a phone where BT was on, people could attack or hack the phone without you knowing it, e.g., while sitting at the airport or whatever].

After the Nokia is charged sufficiently you turn it on. On the Pearl you then press the "Set Up BlueTooth" icon. The Pearl will then look for any devices "in the vicinity" for which you want to establish a connection.

It should find the Nokia [which is emitting a radio signal since you turned it on].

The Pearl will then ask if you desire to setup the Nokia in the Pearl's database as a device [when you say "yes" you don't have to go through the setup procedure again because the Nokia was entered as an authorized BT device].

It might ask you for a security code to enter for the communication or connection. Most devices are either 0000 or 1234. I think it's 0000. Enter that code to proceed.

While the phone's Bluetooth is on, indicated by an icon on the display, once the device is paired you simply have to turn on the Nokia. Each time you do this, a pop up screen on the Pearl will ask if you want to connect the Nokia, to which you say "yes."

Sometimes for lack of any explanation it takes two to three times of turning the Nokia on and off or pressing the Pearl's "Set Up BT" icon before the Pearl finally recognizes the Nokia. Just have faith, eventually it connects.

Once done, you should be able to turn the BT on, via the icon on the display and connect the Nokia, that is, whenever you turn on the Nokia.

Why on the Pearl is there the: "Turn BlueTooth On" icon? Mainly because BT is like turning on a battery operated radio. It drains power off your Pearl's battery. So if you are NOT using BT at the time, better to turn BT off so to preserve power.

That's my take on how to connect. Others may differ. But that is how I remember things.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 08-08-2007 at 05:20 PM..
Old 08-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #33
ShelW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T Mobile

Quote:

I have the Nokia 900 headset (purchased from Fry's Electronics), and I can NOT get the Pearl to recognize or find it when I go into Bluetooth setup.

I've used this headset with my previous Nokia and love it, however, I can't get it to work on the Pearl.

I also have a Plantronics, and that one paired with my Pearl and works great... I don't have to touch the Pearl to connect the headset, just turn the bluetooth headset on, and the Pearl sees it and connects (I did have to pair it initially)

Not sure why MY Nokia can't be found, while yours seems like it was found.

One thing, most bluetooth headsets need to be put in "Pairing" mode, for the phone to find them. The Nokia doesn't have a pairing mode, simply turn it on, turn on your phone, and have your phone search for all BT devices.

I'm bummed, cause I REALLY Love this headset!

Any suggestions? Might have to call Nokia....

Last edited by ShelW; 08-07-2007 at 05:56 PM..
Old 08-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #34
SanFrancisco

None of the three Nokia BH-900's I have fired up or paired the first attempt. I had to turn them on and off about three times before the Pearl finally recognized em.

By the way, I have the latest OS, if that makes a difference.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 08-19-2007 at 03:30 AM..
Old 08-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #35
ShelW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T Mobile

Quote:
My Nokia did not fire up first time. I had to turn it on and off about three times before the Pearl finally recognized it.

By the way, I have the latest OS, if that makes a difference.
Could be that I"m on T-Mobile's original OS .64

It's a bummer, cause I LOVE the Nokia headset. My Plantronics is smaller, lasts over a week on a charge compared to the Nokia's day per charge, but I STILL prefer the Nokia.

Nokia's noise canceling is amazing, and once it's on my ear, it's very comfortable, even though it's rather large.

Well, I heard that T-Mo is releasing a new OS on Aug. 13, so I'll probably wait till then, and see if the new OS fixes the problem. Haven't wanted to upgrade OS because I really haven't had issues with my Pearl, other then my Nokia not working, and I didn't know an upgrade would fix it.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #36
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

you dont have to wait for the TMo OS...

the OSs are not carrier specific
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 AM   #37
xmulder

Model: 8100c
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Sheesh... feels like I am selling these to people, what with all the questions.

I tested the mute feature with a caller, twice. Works fine. You can hear them, but they can't hear you.

End Test
Ha ha lol...thanks for testing the mute function. I think the seller is probably wondering why his sales just went up 500%...you should ask for a commission from him.

Thanks again
Old 08-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #38
frankeg3

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Cool This one works too.....RIM HS655

Initially had many pairing problems with Moto BT headsets - I think I tried three different ones - fianlly, I ante'd up the $$ and got the RIM-HS655- got it discounted for $70.00 - I guess you could save a few bucks by buying the generic Plantronics 655 - wish I knew about the Nokia - would have tried it but, oh well. This one works well - plus has charger / holder that works with USB / Pearl Wall charger and with Power Station. No regrets.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #39
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelW View Post
Nokia's noise canceling is amazing, and once it's on my ear, it's very comfortable, even though it's rather large.

Well, I heard that T-Mo is releasing a new OS on Aug. 13, so I'll probably wait till then, and see if the new OS fixes the problem. Haven't wanted to upgrade OS because I really haven't had issues with my Pearl, other then my Nokia not working, and I didn't know an upgrade would fix it.

Thanks!
Like he said, don't wait for T-Mo to issue the OS. I am with T-Mo and I installed the Desktop Manager and latest OS, both available from the sticky above this forum.

As to the size of the Nokia, it is not the smallest out there. But having had other headsets and seen what else is out there, the super small ones are very expensive.

And IMHO unless one gets the micro headsets that are coming out now, none of the headsets, even the ones that look small, make a difference in terms of appearance. People will know you are wearing any of these headsets, whether the Nokia or the small ones.

In other words, we are gonna look like computer nerds or Type A personalities no matter what headset we wear. Even the micro headsets can still be seen, so what's the point in trying to get the smallest one out there.

In any event, here in San Francisco all the guys wear em, so no one gives a rip. Four years ago people did, when we first started wearing them. Back then girls would walk by us and chuckle/giggle. [See below pic for depiction of what I mean]

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 08-08-2007 at 05:48 PM..
Old 08-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #40
hluskin

Carrier: o2
Unhappy Bluetooth ???

Quote:

You fully charge the Nokia or if you can't wait, at least 1/2 hour to get enough power to fire it up and get connected.

There are two BlueTooth icons on the Pearl, one to turn BlueTooth on and off; the other to set up the Pearl to communicate or connect with whatever devices you have. This is commonly called "pairing."

Most people who have problems connecting simply turn bluetooth on and fail to setup or pair the device. [the pairing procedure is necessary as a security feature. If one could simply connect a device to a phone where BT was on, people could attack or hack the phone without you knowing it, e.g., while sitting at the airport or whatever].

After the Nokia is charged sufficiently you turn it on. On the Pearl you then press the "Set Up BlueTooth" icon. The Pearl will then look for any devices "in the vicinity" for which you want to establish a connection.

It should find the Nokia [which is emitting a radio signal since you turned it on].

The Pearl will then ask if you desire to setup the Nokia in the Pearl's database as a device [when you say "yes" you don't have to go through the setup procedure again because the Nokia was entered as an authorized BT device].

It might ask you for a security code to enter for the communication or connection. Most devices are either 0000 or 1234. I think it's 0000. Enter that code to proceed.

While the phone's Bluetooth is on, indicated by an icon on the display, once the device is paired you simply have to turn on the Nokia. Each time you do this, a pop up screen on the Pearl will ask if you want to connect the Nokia, to which you say "yes."

Sometimes for lack of any explanation it takes two to three times of turning the Nokia on and off or pressing the Pearl's "Set Up BT" icon before the Pearl finally recognizes the Nokia. Just have faith, eventually it connects.

Once done, you should be able to turn the BT on, via the icon on the display and connect the Nokia, that is, whenever you turn on the Nokia.

Why on the Pearl is there the: "Turn BlueTooth On" icon? Mainly because BT is like turning on a battery operated radio. It drains power off your Pearl's battery. So if you are NOT using BT at the time, better to turn BT off so to preserve power.

That's my take on how to connect. Others may differ. But that is how I remember things.
I have tried Nokea and Motorola headsets without success. I purchased a HS-655 and even that won't work. The signal keeps dropping, even when connected, and the phone drops the bluetooth if I try to make a call. Is there something wrong with my phone? i have tried all the steps suggested by Sanfrancisco. Any other bright ideas?

theH
Closed Thread