Old 11-12-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
Scott8586
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: 30bed4bd
Carrier: Verizon
Question noobie questions with a vzw 8703e

Please Login to Remove!

Hi BB Folks, I'm the proud new owner of a vzw 8703e. It's working great with my company's BES setup. I've gone through the FAQs until my eyes bled, but I still have a few questions. If someone could help point me in the right directions...

1) I seem to have icons for both "BlackBerry Browser" and "Internet Browser" they seem to use the same bookmarks file (a bookmark made in one shows up in the other). But there is only one Browser application: are these likely just different access points to the same browser? To what end?

2) With certain Exceptions and their associated Profile, I would like to have the LED blink red until I touch the berry again. But the LED goes back to green after a while even when I use the Repeat Notification of "LED Flashing" Is there a way to keep the LED notification red until I touch the berry again, or read the message that triggered the exception?

3) Can I make the Icon selection "wrap around" when I scroll the wheel (sometimes forwards through the end to the beginning would be faster).

4) I can't figure out when/why the backround light changes intensity: is there a sensor I'm covering by accident with my hand? Is "automatic backlight" the control for that, or is there any finer grained control?

Thanks for your help.

- Scott
Old 11-12-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
bjchantry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Can help with Number 4

4) I can't figure out when/why the backround light changes intensity: is there a sensor I'm covering by accident with my hand? Is "automatic backlight" the control for that, or is there any finer grained control?

Thanks for your help.

- Scott[/QUOTE]

There is a sensor built-in near the screen area that tries to adjust the brightness to both optimize readability based on ambient lighting and also maximize battery life. You can also control the default brightness in the screen/keyboard options but as far as I know there is no way to disable the "intelligent switching". Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
Known1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon, Nextel, AllTel, UScellular, AT&T

1) I seem to have icons for both "BlackBerry Browser" and "Internet Browser" they seem to use the same bookmarks file (a bookmark made in one shows up in the other). But there is only one Browser application: are these likely just different access points to the same browser? To what end?
--
As you already noticed, both browsers share the same bookmarks. Anytime a blackberry has been activated with a BES you will have two browser icons. When the "BlackBerry Browser" is used, all requests for webpages are resolved by your corporate BES server. This gives you the ability to view your coprorate intranet pages from the BlackBerry Browser. When using the "Internet Browser" all requests bypass the BES server and are resolved by your data provider (in this case Verizon). Thus you will not be able to view your corporate intranet sites when using the internet browser. In other words, if some of your bookmarks are for sites/pages on your corporate network you will only be able to access those items when using the blackberry browser.

Last edited by Known1; 11-12-2006 at 04:23 PM..
Old 11-12-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
srl7741
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

3) Can I make the Icon selection "wrap around" when I scroll the wheel (sometimes forwards through the end to the beginning would be faster).

No you can't roll it around persey but when you move the trackwheel quickly or faster it will skip (so to speak) faster over most of the icons. It will jump down over or up over most of the icons is one way of putting it?

I'm gonna take a guess at #2

2) With certain Exceptions and their associated Profile, I would like to have the LED blink red until I touch the berry again. But the LED goes back to green after a while even when I use the Repeat Notification of "LED Flashing" Is there a way to keep the LED notification red until I touch the berry again, or read the message that triggered the exception?

No there is a time limit pre-set that can't be changed. I think? there is a thread that discusses it but i can't find it and don't re-call how long back it was talked about. I think your stuck with the current setting.

Last edited by srl7741; 11-12-2006 at 03:00 PM..
Old 11-12-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
DiRN
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott8586
This isn't the exact solution you want, but if you hold the Alt key while scrolling it will scroll through the icons vertically rather than horizontally. That may save you a little time.
Closed Thread