BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Ohlola

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange CH
Unhappy Unlocked at&t bold / orange ch..

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone..
I was in the states last week and I bought myself and unlocked bold - originally at&t.
While in the states I put my Swiss sim card in it (Orange CH), and the calls and txts worked perfectly. BBM didn't work though, and I assumed it was because I was using an iPhone plan.
As soon as I got back to Switz, I went to Orange to try to fix things.
They made me add the blackberry option to my plan (I can't cancel the iPhone one yet), and told me that I should activate it at blackberry.orange.ch.
They also told me that, in case it didn't work, I should call their customer care and have them reset my pin and IMIEI (is that even possible?).
I just tried to go on the website and do it, but i get this extremely irritating message:
This BlackBerry is registered with a different service provider. Please re-register this BlackBerry and verify the URL matches the one provided by your service provider.

Therefore, I called their number, and they said they ould call me back today or tomorrow if they're able to figure it out.

Now, my question is (or my questions are, ahah) - the activation, is it only for emails, or is it for everything? I have not tried to bbm since I was in the States, but will it work even if I am not activating the pin on the orange website?
Did this happen to anyone, and do you have any idea how to fix it?
Should I call the place where I got the blackberry? And if yes, what should I tell them?

I have been using an iPhone since the first one came out,
so I know I sound extremely ignorant. And I am.
Please help me? :]
Ahah, thanks in advance.

Lola
Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Welcome to the BBForums.

Lola, it appears that you have bought a used BlackBerry, which was originally (probably) registered on the ATT network by the previous user. The error you are experiencing "registered with a different service provider" indicates that previous user never removed the device PIN from his/her account with ATT. They must. Or you can call and ask them to do so by explaining your bought the device used, etc. They don't have to do it for you, so ask nicely. Otherwise you are stuck depending on the previous user to do so.

Once done, you will be able to register the PIN/IMEI on the Orange network. Then, your BBM will work, along with email account setup, etc.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Ohlola

Model: Bold
Carrier: Orange CH

Thank you!
So I just spent 58 lonnnng minutes on the phone with at&t.
The first perosn I talked to passed me to Blackberry. They said they could not do anything at&t's approval, so they passed me back to them.
That's where everythign started getting complicated.
Apparently, when she ran PIN or IMEI searches, my pin & imei would not show up as linked or registered with them. The only thing she could find is that the phone is form them.

I also tried to do something to verify that there actually was a link between my PIN and at&t.
I went here att.blackberry.com
and tried to register my pin & imei with them, which worked perfectly. I did cancel as soon as I saw that it was accepting them though.

I don't understand, and it seems like no one else does...
Any other ideas?
uugh thank you :]
Old 02-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
rachel308
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

I don't have alot of experience with this stuff, so you definitely should get a 2nd opinion, but it sounds like it was going to let you register with at&t? If you didn't cancel, woudln't you be able to call them up and cancel it. If it's not showing a link, that would create one, then you would be the "owner" and could transfer it to orange?

Not really sure, just kinda following some logic thought here...carriers don't always use logical thought, so can anybody else who has some experience here chime in?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Dil

Model: 6500
Carrier: Orange

I bought a new Vodaphone UK BB Storm from a freind and unlocked it to my carrier Oange. I got the same issueswhen i signed up for the Orange BB Data plan ..the phone had the "Registered to Different Carrier please register" note on it too. I registered the phone on the device and I waited a couple of days for the data plan to activate.

No luck, so I rang the technical line on 156 at Orange and - presto! the geezer simply did it all for me and set it all up in 5 mins. He asked for my PIN (still registered to Vodaphone I assume) and registered it on the Orange BIS site whilst i was talking to him and at my PC, with no problems or issues at all. He did say alkways go to the technical site in such circumnstances cos the normal Orange sales people havent got a clue..whcih is right cos I ahd one person telling me i should contact BB/RIM itself!!!

Try this method as it will defintely help.

Dil
Closed Thread