Old 08-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Horizon Wireless
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 9920
PIN: 3218B513
Carrier: ROGERS AND FIDO
Default John Clarks memory optimization

Please Login to Remove!

This may be a stupid question, but how many of you guys have done this on the Bold? I am getting mine on the 12th of Sept so i cant try it yet. File structure seems similar. Who's done it? Any issues? any new files we can get rid of?
Old 08-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

I don't know what exactly JC's mem optimization is but I got one bold from HK CSL that was loaded with a few weird things when I ran it through my app loader. I was putting on .134 and I remove all the input languages, q9 typing, there some other language stuff, I uncheck it all. I also remove sample vids and the help.
With 1GB I don't know if you need to waste your time removing .cods from the system OS so they aren't loaded unless its something like PTT where its just annoying if you accidentally click its icon.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
acnst
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: not configured
Carrier: T-Mobile

I used parts of John's optimization how to. I removed all unnecessary language files. It worked without any issues.

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 08-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphektion View Post
I don't know what exactly JC's mem optimization is but I got one bold from HK CSL that was loaded with a few weird things when I ran it through my app loader. I was putting on .134 and I remove all the input languages, q9 typing, there some other language stuff, I uncheck it all. I also remove sample vids and the help.
With 1GB I don't know if you need to waste your time removing .cods from the system OS so they aren't loaded unless its something like PTT where its just annoying if you accidentally click its icon.
Check the link in my sig for "optimizing your BB's memory."
Old 08-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphektion View Post
The Bold's OS runs off of the 128MB of Flash on the device. The 1GB is for media, documents and other assorted files only. That would be awesome if we had 1GB of flash onboard though!!

And there really isn't much to remove. I only have two themes on my device (Precision & T-Mobile Precision). You can delete the games and be sitting at about 42MB. But out of the box and a few 3rd party apps, I'm at 32MB. So hopefully we won't have to worry about leaky memory as much as we have in the past

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by BBSwany; 08-30-2008 at 03:07 PM..
Old 08-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

You can just go to the app folder and directly delete unwanted apps, then the game folder and dump the games. The set up wizard will get rid of a languages except the one you need. After that you will not need to worry about memory.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #7
muck
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: optus

u can dump the sample media files, just like way u do in the guide. no games no samples. no precision theme. no bb maps or messenger 60+mb free

Last edited by muck; 08-30-2008 at 11:44 PM..
Old 08-31-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
carlkra
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbswany View Post
The Bold's OS runs off of the 128MB of Flash on the device. The 1GB is for media, documents and other assorted files only. That would be awesome if we had 1GB of flash onboard though!!

And there really isn't much to remove. I only have two themes on my device (Precision & T-Mobile Precision). You can delete the games and be sitting at about 42MB. But out of the box and a few 3rd party apps, I'm at 32MB. So hopefully we won't have to worry about leaky memory as much as we have in the past
There is one 6 MB .cod file that has sample media on it that doesn't seem to be important. Unfortunately, my experience and lots of others is that the Bold has severe memory leak issues. I have them with 4.6.0.134 and had them with 4.6.0.125. I lose about .5 MB/hour doing nothing and today I lost 9 MB in one hour doing lots of web browsing (I cleared the cache, history and cookies so that's not the reason).

I reboot (ALT-RightShift-DEL) once per day which seems to get me back up near max memory. Battery pull does not seem to be required.

Best regards,

Carl
Old 08-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
foner

PIN: 2 something...

A leak is a leak is a leak. We generally removed the media files so that there would be room for more third party apps AND still run the device smoothly. If you are removing files and apps just to have lots of free memory at boot and you have a memory leak it will only take longer before your leaked memory becomes a problem. It will still be a problem because there is still a leak. Resign yourself to rebooting your device several times a day and wait for a newer, more stable OS to be released.
Just my $.02 CDN.

Last edited by foner; 08-31-2008 at 07:48 PM..
Old 08-31-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

leak leak leak....
Old 09-01-2008, 03:43 AM   #11
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
u can dump the sample media files, just like way u do in the guide. no games no samples. no precision theme. no bb maps or messenger 60+mb free
No BB MEssenger :o! Harlet! Blasphemy! loool
Old 09-01-2008, 04:35 AM   #12
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by foner View Post
A leak is a leak is a leak. We generally removed the media files so that there would be room for more third party apps AND still run the device smoothly. If you are removing files and apps just to have lots of free memory at boot and you have a memory leak it will only take longer before your leaked memory becomes a problem. It will still be a problem because there is still a leak. Resign yourself to rebooting your device several times a day and wait for a newer, more stable OS to be released.
Just my $.02 CDN.
Several times a day!? Are you CRAZY!? OK, I don't have a bold YET, but I am using a Curve. I reboot it every 2 days, having only 24 megs free at boot, and I generally hard reset at 16megs free. If your phone has 42 megs free, and has SOMEWHAT SIMILIAR leakage, then you can EASILY go 3-4 days.
Rebooting several times a day would seem more as a hassle and not as normal phone usage. In all honesty, I never rebooted my iphone. I loved not having to reboot it. When I also had my HTC Touch, I never rebooted either. Nor with other phones. I know the BB Is more complex then all the simple phones, but buddies.... HAVING to reboot multiple times a day SHOULDN'T be acceptable by US.
If we TAKE it and ACCEPT It, then RIM will always leave these "leaks." thinking that we accept it and we don't mind having to reboot "several times a day."
Old 09-01-2008, 04:44 AM   #13
muck

Carrier: optus

i dont know anyone thats rebooting several times a day.
maybe those that are browsing with javascript.

theres nothing different here than any os4.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #14
foner

Good god. Look people, we are on the bleeding edge here. We are early adopters. Most of us had 4.5 on our devices and it probably hasn't been released for our specific carriers yet. The Bold is not even universally released yet and we are *****ing about memory leaks and the like? Are you people serious? You think there is anything that we in our infinite wisdom know that the testers @ RIM and the various carriers don't already know?
I use my BB to the tune of 300 meg a month without tethering - you're damn right I reboot 2 or 3 times a day. I also don't get a full days work out of it with out charging in the car. Does that mean my device is broken? Should I ***** to Wateroo about that to?!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foner View Post
Just my $.02 CDN.
There is no reason to reboot a Bold several times a day. I find little to no extra memory by rebooting my Bold or pulling the battery. 50mb is more than enough Free Memory.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #16
foner

Old 09-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #17
carlkra
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
There is no reason to reboot a Bold several times a day. I find little to no extra memory by rebooting my Bold or pulling the battery. 50mb is more than enough Free Memory.
Just as an experiment, check your free memory just before you plan to do some web browsing. Then browse heavily for a while with Javascript enabled. I find an hour of that costs me about 10MB even if I delete the browser cache, history etc. to be sure there is no legit memory use. The only way I know to get that memory back is a reset. I find that a soft reset (ALT-RightShift-DEL) does the job almost as well as a battery pull.

Regards,

Carl
Old 09-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #18
John Clark
BBF Moderator

It will come back during garbage collection later....I quit worrying about it.
Closed Thread