Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 11:15 PM   #21
Pearl Buddy

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmo

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
I for one, do not believe there will be a "Perfect All In Once Device".
im thinking something along the lines of a phone that is the exact size and flexibility as a credit card. it feels just like a credit card, one side is all touchscreen, it runs windows vista, built in wifi-n and has 1 terabyte of storage. that would be perfect for me. i dont think they are trying such a combination though...
Old 01-01-2007, 11:22 PM   #22
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Lol godd luclk on tha ton winmo an symbian leave yopu vunerable to cabir viruses not to mention skulls and the metal gearsolid virus. Nothanx
Old 01-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #23
Fungineer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron
Future devices will still be quad band they have to be. Thast industry standerd hopfully the durabiltuy factor dos not go down either I'm betting the 8800 might be the device they eithe releasi in jan or duirring the summer time.
Quadband EDGE is standard, Quadband UMTS is something totally different. There are five recognized frequency bands that UMTS will operate in, and until we see UMTS coverage eclipse EDGE coverage, phone manufacturers will have to support UMTS/EDGE devices, which means you're potentially looking at two radios operating on (i think) 7 different frequencies. Throw in GPS, dual-band WLAN, Bluetooth and you're up to 10 frequencies, spread across a multitude of antennas (no single antenna is going to give you a good response across almost 6GHz of spectrum).

All that means is I would expect RIM to offer (first) an EDGE/UMTS device with quad-band EDGE and dual- or tri-band UMTS (2100, 1900, 850), with TMobile getting the shaft on their 1700.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #24
dapoktan

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t

battery battery battery, in this day and age, is 4hrs talk time all we can get?
With cell phones and laptops being so popular these days, isnt it time that better battery solutions are developed?
The life on these laptops and 3G phones are really kind of sad...
Old 01-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #25
MobileRC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

Until they improve the web browsing and attachment experience, it is likely I wouldnt find a whole lot of use for an HSDPA blackberry, but thats just me.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #26
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileRC
Until they improve the web browsing and attachment experience, it is likely I wouldnt find a whole lot of use for an HSDPA blackberry, but thats just me.
Well, the web browsing experience is great IMHO, but then again, I've learned how to use the Internet Browser's settings and options to maximum effect, so that I get the best browsing experience possible.

But there are 2 much more important benefits that will come from having an HSDPA/UMTS-equipped :
  1. The ability to use your 3G as a tethered modem for a laptop or PC, to get true broadband speed wirelessly!
  2. The ability to use voice and data SIMULTANEOUSLY! One of the biggest problems with EDGE and EV-DO s is that data use blocks incoming phone calls. So, if you're tethering the to your computer and doing a large download, someone trying to call you will go straight to voice mail. This could be a problem if you're needing to receive an important call. But with HSDPA/UMTS, this limitation is finally supposed to go away.
It's because of those 2 reasons that I can't wait to get my hands on a GSM 3G ! Too bad RIM still hasn't released one for Cingular/at&t. The ability to buy the rumored 3G 8710 might have caused me to choose Cingular/at&t as my new carrier, rather than T-Mobile. But Cingular/at&t and RIM have dragged their feet for far too long in regards to bringing such a to the States.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 01-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #27
brandbb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance
[*]The ability to use voice and data SIMULTANEOUSLY! One of the biggest problems with EDGE and EV-DO s is that data use blocks incoming phone calls. So, if you're tethering the to your computer and doing a large download, someone trying to call you will go straight to voice mail. This could be a problem if you're needing to receive an important call. But with HSDPA/UMTS, this limitation is finally supposed to go away. 8
Huh never happened to me.

I tether with an 8700c all the time. Connection is paused until i end my call.

But tethering, along with the possibilities of using my slingbox on the bb are the main reasons I would like a 3g bb asap.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:10 PM   #28
cmpugh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandbb
Huh never happened to me.

I tether with an 8700c all the time. Connection is paused until i end my call.

But tethering, along with the possibilities of using my slingbox on the bb are the main reasons I would like a 3g bb asap.

Same with my Verizon 8703e... it stops my data, and takes the call.

But the ability to do both simultaneously would be incredible.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #29
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpugh
Same with my Cingular 8700c & 7130c... it stops my data, and takes the call.

However the problem I have when it picks up the call, is it shuts off the ignition system so my car dies and I'm forced to pull over to take the call.....
Old 01-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #30
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpugh

But the ability to do both simultaneously would be incredible.
If on an EV-DO system at the time, isn't your data session resumed once you end your call?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #31
omkhar

Model: 9800
PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
If on an EV-DO system at the time, isn't your data session resumed once you end your call?
It works that way will Bell.... but I agree the ability to do both voice and data simulatenously would be great.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #32
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omkhar
It works that way will Bell.... but I agree the ability to do both voice and data simulatenously would be great.
Chalk it up to bad provisioning by Verizon, I suppose, but I had a PPC phone a couple years ago (and I'm sorry about that ) which would give me wireless sync email/calendar notifications as well as let me open my browser and surf while on a call about 75% of the time. Although the phone was EV-DO hardware capable, there was no EV-DO network yet available. It was a bit freakish but cool, nonetheless.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #33
CUSTEL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 8 Characters
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

I just purchased a treo750 for the simultanious data/voice does anyone know an accurate release date for this?
Old 02-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #34
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

This is a BlackBerry Forum.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #35
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTEL
I just purchased a treo750 for the simultanious data/voice does anyone know an accurate release date for this?

No, there is no verified release date yet for HSDPA blackberry.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #36
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Rogers is launching their HSDPA BB in Q4
Old 02-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #37
Outrigger

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Buddy
im thinking something along the lines of a phone that is the exact size and flexibility as a credit card. it feels just like a credit card, one side is all touchscreen, it runs windows vista, built in wifi-n and has 1 terabyte of storage. that would be perfect for me. i dont think they are trying such a combination though...
it might look nice but holding something the size of a credit card thats all touch screen would be horrible that few if any one would find practical. just try taking a credit card and putting it against your ear. and running vista and 1 tb of storage with built in wifi? you're more likely to see flying cars before something like this would ever happen.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #38
Dark Knight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsimpson
Rogers is launching their HSDPA BB in Q4
HSDPA (3G) on Rogers will officially roll out March 19, 2007 with devices and plans. Though HSDPA will first launch with major cities such as Toronto and Vancouver and later Nation wide. Unfortunately RIM doesn't have a 3G device at this time. The "Canuck" aka: RIM 8800 coming to Rogers soon is EDGE capable, not HSDPA. I do hope RIM can see the benefit of releasing the next Blackberry (full Qwerty keyboard, camera and GPS) with 3G support before Q3 let alone Q4, 2007.

Last edited by Dark Knight; 03-01-2007 at 10:41 PM..
Old 03-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #39
nsimpson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
HSDPA (3G) on Rogers will officially roll out March 19, 2007 with devices and plans. Though HSDPA will first launch with major cities such as Toronto and Vancouver and later Nation wide. Unfortunately RIM doesn't have a 3G device at this time. The "Canuck" aka: RIM 8800 coming to Rogers soon is EDGE capable, not HSDPA. I do hope RIM can see the benefit of releasing the next Blackberry (full Qwerty keyboard, camera and GPS) with 3G support before Q3 let alone Q4, 2007.
Dark Knight
i know what im talking about, I work for Rogers. The system HSDPA is already out and running, Toronto was up and running months ago (and was publically annouced that it was) and in Vancouver its just finished testing coverage areas.

I know what the 8800 has and when it is going to be released (as do 99% of people who post here on this site). Heck its already out in the states and there has been lengthy threads about what it includes and what it doesnt include.

In Q4,Rogers will be picking up an hsdpa blackberry unit the (9XXX series). We will be coming out with the unit sooner if the HTC hsdpa units arent ready in time (Q2-3). Apparently word from RIM is that they are ready to ship sooner than Q4 but Rogers doesnt want to put out that many 3G units all at once so they will be staggering the releases.

Last edited by nsimpson; 03-04-2007 at 02:02 PM..
Old 03-05-2007, 04:25 AM   #40
The MVPlaya
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsimpson
Dark Knight
i know what im talking about, I work for Rogers. The system HSDPA is already out and running, Toronto was up and running months ago (and was publically annouced that it was) and in Vancouver its just finished testing coverage areas.

I know what the 8800 has and when it is going to be released (as do 99% of people who post here on this site). Heck its already out in the states and there has been lengthy threads about what it includes and what it doesnt include.

In Q4,Rogers will be picking up an hsdpa blackberry unit the (9XXX series). We will be coming out with the unit sooner if the HTC hsdpa units arent ready in time (Q2-3). Apparently word from RIM is that they are ready to ship sooner than Q4 but Rogers doesnt want to put out that many 3G units all at once so they will be staggering the releases.
If Rogers will be getting it Q4, Cingular should have it near the same time or sooner...