Old 04-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 812-
PIN: N/A
Carrier: SunCom
Default Preferred mail applications on the BB

Please Login to Remove!

I'm curious what people are using for email on their BBs. Not for syncing with their Mac -- just as a standalone application on the BB for a typical POP email account (not running on a BES).

I can't get the mail setup wizard to work for my POP account, so I'm shopping around for my wifi-enabled Pearl.

Favorites (with source URLs)?
Old 04-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
ma077146
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: 3019F3E6
Carrier: Sprint

Have you tried going to your carrier's site to set up email? I'm with Sprint, so mine is sprint.blackberry.com. You'll need to create a user account if you don't have one, but then you'll be able to create up to 10 email accounts you can view on the native message program on the BB.

Like Coupons and Free Shipping?
http://thediscountdude.com
Old 04-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma077146 View Post
Have you tried going to your carrier's site to set up email? I'm with Sprint, so mine is sprint.blackberry.com. You'll need to create a user account if you don't have one, but then you'll be able to create up to 10 email accounts you can view on the native message program on the BB.
Thanks. I do have an email account for the phone (it is, as are many of them, the phone number @ the carrier.

I'm making the assumption that there is more to the Blackberry than that. Silly me. Here I wanted to use our own mail server with POP accounts. Is that not possible on the Blackberry?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
jtdarden

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

Wirelessly posted (8330 Sprint)

Yes, you can integrate up to 10 (depending on your carrier) POP3 email addresses with the BB to push mail to your device.

Yahoo, Gmail and certain other web based email services also work.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

I use GMail w/ IMAP delivery. You may want to contact your carrier for setup assistance.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
i.masterem

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT

I use gmail too

I'm thinking of switching over to Mac Mail but I've heard the integration isn't the easiest thing in the world...
Old 04-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
I'm curious what people are using for email on their BBs. Not for syncing with their Mac -- just as a standalone application on the BB for a typical POP email account (not running on a BES).

I can't get the mail setup wizard to work for my POP account, so I'm shopping around for my wifi-enabled Pearl.

Favorites (with source URLs)?
Do you have a blackberry Data plan on your account? If not that might be your issue. You can not use a blackberry for email without a data plan. Its not like a normal PDA were there is a email client that goes and gets your email.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 04-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #8
WFLDEng611

Model: iPhon
PIN: Used to
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.masterem View Post
I use gmail too

I'm thinking of switching over to Mac Mail but I've heard the integration isn't the easiest thing in the world...
The Mail app works like any other mail app on BIS. It will mark mail that is read and you can sync it to delete if you delete it on the BB.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:47 AM   #9
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcrn View Post
Do you have a blackberry Data plan on your account? If not that might be your issue. You can not use a blackberry for email without a data plan. Its not like a normal PDA were there is a email client that goes and gets your email.
I have a data plan.

My question is: is there a pop mail application for the Blackberry?
Old 04-20-2008, 12:51 AM   #10
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFLDEng611 View Post
The Mail app works like any other mail app on BIS. It will mark mail that is read and you can sync it to delete if you delete it on the BB.
Are you saying I have to use the BIS? I cannot use a third-party POP mail server that the BB can connect to, pull the POP mail, push SMTP out? I have my own mail servers (yes, multiple servers ... I run an ISP). I'm not interested in running a BES.

Surely this little phone can handshake with a normal POP/SMTP mail server.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:52 AM   #11
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcrn View Post
Thank you. I guess that is what I feared. What a waste of money. I should have gotten an iPhone.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:36 AM   #12
WFLDEng611

One of my friends has an iPhone. Make sure you play with it at the Apple store before you buy it. While the iPhone is really cool, it lacks some basic functionality of a BB. For example, there is no search function, for anything. I have almost 700 contacts, some of them are tagged so I can find them with a search. The iPhone can't do this, it also cannot copy and paste or dial an extension. The iPhone's browser is amazing, but does not make up for the short falls of some basic functions. The iPhone is more of a consumer device, where the BB is more of a professional business device.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:39 AM   #13
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Yep, the BlackBerry is not for everyone. You may be happier with an iPhone. You need a monthly data plan for that, don't you?
Old 04-20-2008, 02:44 AM   #14
WFLDEng611

You sure do, owning an iPhone is no cheaper that a BB.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:49 AM   #15
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFLDEng611 View Post
You sure do, owning an iPhone is no cheaper that a BB.
Then it remains amazing where we are in 2008, and what features 'aren't' in either of these devices. I left AT&T (and a nice little Nokia) to go with a different carrier (suncom, as they are getting absorbed by tmobile now). The BB Pearl seemed to have most all I wanted: decent wifi, compatibility with the Mac ('though not via bluetooth !?!), size, etc.

Still, in today's world, no one has coded a pop mail client for this little device? Wow.

Yeah, I'm aware of the iPhone's limitations -- they are mostly software, and if Apple would stop robbing paul to pay peter (pulling the OS/server coders to work on iPhone, then back again), they could code out the additional 'obvious' features. Of course, they need to code in a bunch of OS mistakes that arose in 10.5 that were NOT a limitation with 10.4. Apple is going through some growing pains.

So on the BB side, how large of a company is RIM (on the technical side)? I've sent them links to this forum to ask if they can examine what they could improve for the user experience, and for Macs. They didn't appear to take much time to cruise around here. Maybe their day is short, or they just don't understand the value of mining these sites for 'honest' feedback about their sw. The hardware is nice enough.

Hmmm... so what you guys are patiently telling me is that I need to get up with my carrier to see if I have a push option. They assigned an email address for me (the one based on the phone number), so I can get alerts - but I'm unclear how I use it for outbound email at the moment.

thanks for the input!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #16
withnail69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: orange
Default hhmmmm

Quote:
Thank you. I guess that is what I feared. What a waste of money. I should have gotten an iPhone.
sorry for the hijack but I wanted to ask you guys about this as well. I am scared that I won't be able to access my pop3 mail. Whilst playing around with BIS I actually added my email address and it said it was successful. The trouble is the options I have on my BB are different to those in my user manual. on the setup wizard > email setup my only options is "I want to use a work email account with a blackberry enterprise server". My friends who also have 8120's have seperate applications to set up email. Do I need to somehow rebuild this BB to get all the options or is this cause it is an orange phone the options have been restricted?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #17
withnail69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: orange
Default interesting....

Quote:
compatibility with the Mac ('though not via bluetooth !?!), s
i've had a few issues with bluetooth and my mac. I can send files via my blackberry but can't seem to recieve them. I found an option to make it "discoverable" but still cannot be discovered by my mac...
Old 04-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #18
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by withnail69 View Post
sorry for the hijack but I wanted to ask you guys about this as well. I am scared that I won't be able to access my pop3 mail. Whilst playing around with BIS I actually added my email address and it said it was successful. The trouble is the options I have on my BB are different to those in my user manual. on the setup wizard > email setup my only options is "I want to use a work email account with a blackberry enterprise server". My friends who also have 8120's have seperate applications to set up email. Do I need to somehow rebuild this BB to get all the options or is this cause it is an orange phone the options have been restricted?
According to the kind replies here, I think we're under the false impression that this phone can support POP -- due, apparently, to a lack of a suitable email client sw app. Pity -- with its wifi capabilities, one could easily sidestep the carrier for most email needs. That is, after all, the entire point of having a wifi-enabled device. The carrier frankly doesn't care if the app exists or not -- there's always a likelihood that you'll need to use their data (hence dataplan, hence billable feature) to get to that POP account.

What a hole in the whole BB experience. This is just begging for some smart coder to make a few coin.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #19
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by withnail69 View Post
i've had a few issues with bluetooth and my mac. I can send files via my blackberry but can't seem to recieve them. I found an option to make it "discoverable" but still cannot be discovered by my mac...
Bluetooth is marginally implemented in the BB for Mac support. You'll get limited joy there until RIM writes more support into the OS.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #20
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
According to the kind replies here, I think we're under the false impression that this phone can support POP -- due, apparently, to a lack of a suitable email client sw app. Pity -- with its wifi capabilities, one could easily sidestep the carrier for most email needs. That is, after all, the entire point of having a wifi-enabled device. The carrier frankly doesn't care if the app exists or not -- there's always a likelihood that you'll need to use their data (hence dataplan, hence billable feature) to get to that POP account.

What a hole in the whole BB experience. This is just begging for some smart coder to make a few coin.
OK -- so I've spent some more time on Google, and there is a project for POP/IMAP mail clients. You can find it here:

LogicMail for BlackBerry - Trac

This has potential, as many of us do NOT need 'push' email, and are perfectly happy having to ask for our email when the conditions are ripe. Way cool. If you like this project, let the author know. In positive ways. For a while there, I was afraid I'd have to use gmail and this app:

Google Apps

I have no love for letting Google assimilate the rest of the world's data. Too much of a good thing, frankly, and I'd rather have utter control of my email traffic (save for the networks it has to traverse).

So it's time to explore.
Closed Thread