Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
CLFNole

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Google Maps or Blackberry Maps

Please Login to Remove!

I am rather new to Blackberry and have the Bold 9700. When it comes to navigation software I was wondering which you prefer - Google Maps or Blackberry Maps?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I use Google Maps but that is more of a habit since it seems to have more features. Some users find BB Maps more stable on their devices. Also, I use the free GPS app, Poynt and i notice it seems to function better with BB Maps.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
crusecontrl
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Capped in my pocket
Carrier: AT&T

I have both but prefer Google Maps. It seems to be faster and easier to use.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Also many of us started with Google Maps when we didnt have GPS phones because Google maps had the cell phone triangulation

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
lmcjipo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Bell Wireless

I prefer Google Maps because it looks nicer than the Blackberry Maps.

My Tech Blog
Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
CLFNole

Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks. I only had BB Maps on my phone and just added Google Maps. Wasn't sure which one worked better but I think I am gonna go with Google.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Model: 9780
Carrier: DU
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Also many of us started with Google Maps when we didnt have GPS phones because Google maps had the cell phone triangulation
What's that? please elaborate more on the cell phone triangulation?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Lightbulb

I use Google Maps because it gives me much much more detail on the map than BB maps where I live (Dubai, UAE)
Old 08-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

I use TeleNav but that wasn't one of the options to choose from.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-03-2010, 03:47 AM   #10
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix Leader View Post
What's that? please elaborate more on the cell phone triangulation?
Google maps can locate you within (usually e.g. 3200 meters) due to the cel tower you are on.
It knows which tower, so triangulates it with some other towers and so can tell you roughly where you are.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Matrix,
Midnight explained it well. What it does it give you a general area of where you are within 3,000 to 5,000 meters so on a map with GPS, it would show up as a dot. With this less accurate triangulation it would show up as a big circle around your possible area.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
Beef
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9900
Carrier: Bell (HSPA+)

I noticed my latest version of BB Maps also supported triangulation. Surprised me to see the telltale "circle".

I prefer Google Maps because it's more feature rich. Particularly, I like that I can use "starred" locations on my desktop, and then search/get directions against them on my handheld.

I do use BB Maps outside of North America, though, because I believe the data consumption is far smaller.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

My opinion is try both, and some others, and find what works for you. I personally have always come back to blackberry maps and that's now what I use for navigation when I'm traveling to find the hotel, restaurants, the job site, my way back to the airport, and so forth. The reason for me is it is simple and fast. It isn't pretty, doesn't have all the features, but if you want to know where you are and where to turn next, it can't be beat, in my opinion. But that's me.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers

Google Maps 4.2.0 It works pretty well.

Advantage over BB Maps (I believe) is that it always has the latest map info, whereas BB maps can be out of date unless you update it.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Google Maps 4.2.0 It works pretty well.

Advantage over BB Maps (I believe) is that it always has the latest map info, whereas BB maps can be out of date unless you update it.
I don't believe the latter comment is correct. There's only like two data sources, I believe, and I don't know of any difference in the age of data. But bbmaps downloads the map data on the fly just like the others, so the map accuracy is as good as the accuracy of the data, not the age of the app on your device.

Last edited by aiharkness; 08-03-2010 at 12:56 PM..
Old 08-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #16
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I don't believe the latter comment is correct. There's only like two data sources, I believe, and I don't know of any difference in the age of data. But bbmaps downloads the map data on the fly just like the others, so the map accuracy is as good as the accuracy of the data, not the age of the app on your device.

Incorrect! Over here in Dubai, Google Maps has much much more details than BB maps it's not even funny. seems like BB maps is like 3 years old compared to the date of Google Maps
Old 08-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Ok. Interesting. But just curious, is it a difference in the amount of information or detail that is provided, or is it actually a matter of inaccuracy of information or details that are shown in both apps?

I can believe google maps has more features and shows more information; what I was referring to, maybe inartfully, is the accuracy of the data that BlackBerry maps does provide, and not the details and features. Yeah, BlackBerry maps is simple and plain, which I aleady stated.

Last edited by aiharkness; 08-03-2010 at 01:40 PM..
Old 08-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Ok. Interesting. But just curious, is it a difference in the amount of information or detail that is provided, or is it actually a matter of inaccuracy of information or details that are shown in both apps?

I can believe google maps has more features and shows more information; what I was referring to, maybe inartfully, is the accuracy of the data that BlackBerry maps does provide, and not the details and features. Yeah, BlackBerry maps is simple and plain, which I aleady stated.

BB Maps is much faster in loading the map as you're driving I have to admit.

But to give you a little example...

I live in a new locaiton in Dubai named "International Media Production Zone", if I would turn on BB maps, as I'm driving, it would show that I'm driving in the middle of nowhere, but with Google Maps, it shows me every turn, it even shows a precise satellite image of my building man! talk about impressing shit! ;)
Old 08-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #19
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Ok. That is new info to me. I thought all the mapping apps used essentially one or the other companies that provide the road data. I thought maybe you were talking about bus stops or metro stations or something like that--something that bbmaps doesn't support. But your example does sound like bbmaps isn't using up to date road data for your location. But to be clear, I still think it has to be the data source the app is feeding off and not the app itself.

Also, for anyone else reading, I initially thought maybe Dubai isn't one of the supported countries, but I started bbmaps and searched, and there is info for Dubai. Just apparently not the very latest roads.

So I stand corrected.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #20
Matrix Leader
No longer Registered.

Talking

Quote:
Ok. That is new info to me. I thought all the mapping apps used essentially one or the other companies that provide the road data. I thought maybe you were talking about bus stops or metro stations or something like that--something that bbmaps doesn't support. But your example does sound like bbmaps isn't using up to date road data for your location. But to be clear, I still think it has to be the data source the app is feeding off and not the app itself.

Also, for anyone else reading, I initially thought maybe Dubai isn't one of the supported countries, but I started bbmaps and searched, and there is info for Dubai. Just apparently not the very latest roads.

So I stand corrected.
Yeah dude Dubai (United Arab Emirates) is supposrted in all apps as it is a major business hub and a fast moving city. I've been living here for 20 years and Ive lived in GA, USA for 1 year when I was 16 years old and to tell you the truth......Dubai is a much better place...it's like....you got all the good things in a small box ;)
Closed Thread