Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 06:48 AM   #1
bigdongers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100g
Carrier: Telstra
Default 3G HSDPA BlackBerry coming!

Please Login to Remove!

Telstra in Australia has just launched its 3G HSDPA network nationally using the 850mhz band like Cingular. HSDPA speeds are currently up to 3.6Mbps down but will increase to 14.4Mbps by March next year.

Anyway, RIM has advised Telstra that they will develop a new BB to run on this new network. I guess the device will work with Cingular too as well as Rogers. The new device is expected in the 2nd half of 2007.

I am really looking forward to this. I have a HSDPA phone right now and the speeds are awesome!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
musicphraze

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdongers
Telstra in Australia has just launched its 3G HSDPA network nationally using the 850mhz band like Cingular. HSDPA speeds are currently up to 3.6Mbps down but will increase to 14.4Mbps by March next year.

Anyway, RIM has advised Telstra that they will develop a new BB to run on this new network. I guess the device will work with Cingular too as well as Rogers. The new device is expected in the 2nd half of 2007.

I am really looking forward to this. I have a HSDPA phone right now and the speeds are awesome!
This must be the so-called perfect phone RIM is developing. Perfect for the present, and will be outdated after its release, but well worth the wait for me. This will be my first Blackberry as I am an avid Treo user, but I have grown tired of Treo's inability to develop a device that is truly all in one and competent. Now that I switched from Tmobile to Cingular, and I bought my wife a Moto Rzr, I am suffering with out a phone of my own. What do you think I should do? Fork over the money for the great BB 8800 though it is a damaged device without the 3g, or suffer in silence and wit for the 9xxx series.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309

This is good news, hopefully we'll actually see it when these rumors suggest we will.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
FLIPP_96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

Rumor has it that the 3G HSDPA Blackberry will be an updated 8700 not the rumored 99xx series.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
Xjett
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicphraze
This must be the so-called perfect phone RIM is developing. Perfect for the present, and will be outdated after its release, but well worth the wait for me. This will be my first Blackberry as I am an avid Treo user, but I have grown tired of Treo's inability to develop a device that is truly all in one and competent. Now that I switched from Tmobile to Cingular, and I bought my wife a Moto Rzr, I am suffering with out a phone of my own. What do you think I should do? Fork over the money for the great BB 8800 though it is a damaged device without the 3g, or suffer in silence and wit for the 9xxx series.
Well I recommend you get a phone that you can use while you wait. I currently have the 8700c so I can recommend this device all the way. If I were in your shoes I'd just purchase I could live with till the "perfect BB" comes out. If you don't need the HSDPA however then go with the 8800. I am sure that will be an amazing device.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
I am suffering with out a phone of my own. What do you think I should do?
Stop your suffering now and in the future.
Go back to the Treo, since you feel the upcoming BlackBerrys will be "damaged and outdated".
Old 12-20-2006, 08:33 PM   #7
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack

buy now play now buy later play later.....so buy now and upgrade later
Old 12-23-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

I've had the BB 8100 through Cingular for about a week now. This is my second BB. The first was a 7750, and it had all kinds of problems (the main problem was that it was through Sprint, which isn't very good here)...

Anyway, the Pearl is far and away the best smart phone I've ever had. It's got all the great things that BBs have (except a full Qwerty keyboard, but I got used to the SureType pretty fast).

And this is coming from someone that has used Symbian, Windows Mobile, PalmOS and BlackBerry. Trust me, it was well worth the $200.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
BBChristopher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

I agree that this is prob referring to the 8710.

It stinks, but we may have to wait for a really sexy BB w/3G!

Maybe the 9900! But looks like the 8800 series will be EDGE....
850, 950, 957, 7100, 7130, 8100, 8800, 8310, 9000
Old 12-23-2006, 04:02 PM   #10
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrzejewski
I've had the BB 8100 through Cingular for about a week now. This is my second BB. The first was a 7750, and it had all kinds of problems (the main problem was that it was through Sprint, which isn't very good here)...

Anyway, the Pearl is far and away the best smart phone I've ever had. It's got all the great things that BBs have (except a full Qwerty keyboard, but I got used to the SureType pretty fast).

And this is coming from someone that has used Symbian, Windows Mobile, PalmOS and BlackBerry. Trust me, it was well worth the $200.
Greetings and Welcome to the Forum............

I too had tried all the rest before coming to BlackBerry as the last stop in smartphones. I find all three current models, 8700, 7130 & 8100 really terrific devices. The ability to have three choices of BlackBerry is absolutely fantastic.

I have never used such a stable and reliable device. It's a true joy to know that I have something that I can count on. So completely different that Treo or Moto Q where system instability and freezes are something that one has to deal with and becomes such a waste fo time.

My Favorite is the 7130c which serves my particular needs just perfectly. However having tried them all I'm really impressed and see why BlackBerry has such a loyal following.

Cheers....
Old 12-23-2006, 08:06 PM   #11
FLIPP_96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

I have no doubt that there will be a HSDPA verson of the 8800 series just like I have no doubt that there will be a CDMA verson of the 8800 series. The question is when? The reason BB is using the 8700 series for a HSDPA device is for BB to get a device to the market ASAP.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:28 AM   #12
archer6

When one considers that Cingular is the number one volume seller of BlackBerry devices, I believe we will see true 3G incorporated very soon. Especially since the competition is moving forward with 3G at a brisk pace.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:26 AM   #13
bigdongers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPP_96
I have no doubt that there will be a HSDPA verson of the 8800 series just like I have no doubt that there will be a CDMA verson of the 8800 series. The question is when? The reason BB is using the 8700 series
for a HSDPA device is for BB to get a device to the market ASAP.
I dont think the HSDPA blackberry will be based on the 8700. the 8707 was somewhat of a dog and RIM would like to move forward from that. Using the same platform would be a bad idea.

Also, the thing holding back an HSDPA blackberry is demand and also availability of chipsets. Now the chipsets are available why would they put it in an old device? The 8800 is just around the corner so they would just use that as the basis.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:06 AM   #14
Nickster248
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 2333C6FD
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
This will be my first Blackberry as I am an avid Treo user, but I have grown tired of Treo's inability to develop a device that is truly all in one and competent.
The BB is super stable, but make no mistake, the BB is not one of those "all in one and competent" devices you seek. I haven't yet seen a device from any manufacturer that can make the claim they have the perfect all in one device.

What the BB falls short is on 3rd party software, and that may be a reflection of the inflexibility of the BB OS. If you want to have a huge selection of really good 3rd party software, then you have to resort back to Palm or WM, and that is where the instability creeps in.

Hopefully RIM will work more closely with Developers so that they will begin to develop software that can do what the software for the Palm and WM does.

BB PIN: 2333C6FD on a Torch 9800
Old 12-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #15
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation

Well, all I can say is that I can't understand why it's taking RIM so long to bring a equipped with HSDPA/UMTS to the US market. Cingular started deploying that network at least a year ago, and they STILL don't have a that can run on it? Frakkin' ridiculous!

But at least it's a moot point for me. I've chosen T-Mobile as my new carrier, and they're still about a year away from launching their 3G network. So, RIM still has a year to get their act together before I'll be needing a 3G CrackBerry!

But what's up with all the hatin' towards the 8700?

I've only had mine a week, but I love it! It's vastly superior to the 7200/7500 series, by far! It's improved in virtually every respect! I was skeptical about the useability of the smaller keyboard... but only until I actually got my hands on it! And it's nice to finally be able to HEAR my ringtones! And the 8700 has what is, without a doubt, THE best PDA phone screen around! Other, newer devices might equal it, if they're lucky, but NONE have surpassed it!

So if RIM wants to make their first 3G phone the rumored 8710, I say bring it! I'll love it even more than the 8700g I have now!

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 12-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #16
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster248
The BB is super stable, but make no mistake, the BB is not one of those "all in one and competent" devices you seek. I haven't yet seen a device from any manufacturer that can make the claim they have the perfect all in one device.
I for one, do not believe there will be a "Perfect All In Once Device". And that's not a problem. It's simply too challenging to try and meet everyones needs with just one device.

Here is the present strength of the BlackBerry platform as they now have 3 distinct form factors and feature sets in the three different devices. I've owned them all and they are very impressive. Each has it's place.

The key is to develop devices that just work and are stable, reliable and provide the majority of functions that most users need. This is something that only RIM has accomplished to date.

If we look at the history of RIM, it's been about stable, secure, business devices. Ones that in the past have purposely not been designed for the consumer space. Now that's changed as RIM has broadened it's target market with the Pearl, most specifically designed to target consumers and increase market share, and revenue. This is to our benefit regardless of what we think of that particular model. The impact of the Pearl has been hugely successful.

As they continue to learn and grow in the consumer space, there is a very high likelihood that the "all in one" device concept may become a bit closer to reality. However that said, I do not think we will ever see a "one size and configuration for all" device.

The best approach of all as I see it is for RIM to move forward as they are introducting multiple devices, which provide users a variety of choices.

Cheers....
Old 12-30-2006, 03:40 AM   #17
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

Quote:

Are Telstra and Cingular even running on the same freq of the 3G network? I don't think so thou.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:40 AM   #18
bigdongers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by plchan
Are Telstra and Cingular even running on the same freq of the 3G network? I don't think so thou.
Yep Telstra use 850mhz UMTS just like Cingular. Its irrelevant anyway though as the new HSDPA BB willl be multiband UMTS capable. I am thinking 850/1900/2100mhz

Therefore, this BlackBerry can be sold to all markets who require a HSDPA BB irrespective of frequency used.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:49 AM   #19
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation

Quote:
Yep Telstra use 850mhz UMTS just like Cingular. Its irrelevant anyway though as the new HSDPA BB willl be multiband UMTS capable. I am thinking 850/1900/2100mhz

Therefore, this BlackBerry can be sold to all markets who require a HSDPA BB irrespective of frequency used.
EXCEPT for T-Mobile in the USA. When T-Mo begins offering their HSDPA/UMTS service at the end of '07/beginning of '08, they'll be running it in the previously unused 1700 mhz frequency range!

This is due, in part, to the fact that T-Mobile acquired the licenses for that frequency range in this past fall's FCC spectrum auction. As far as I know, T-Mo is the only US carrier that will be using that portion of the radio spectrum.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 01-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #20
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Future devices will still be quad band they have to be. Thast industry standerd hopfully the durabiltuy factor dos not go down either I'm betting the 8800 might be the device they eithe releasi in jan or duirring the summer time.
Closed Thread