Old 07-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
lalalakers24
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default silicone or hard plastic case?

Please Login to Remove!

I recently purchased a plastic case online, but after visiting this forum, it seems like most of the blackberry users are buying a silicone case. I chose not to buy a silicone case solely on the reason that it will be harder for a rubbery silicone case to be placed in a pocket. is there a reason why silicone is better than plastic? Or is it just personal preference?
Old 07-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
complexx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalakers24 View Post
I recently purchased a plastic case online, but after visiting this forum, it seems like most of the blackberry users are buying a silicone case. I chose not to buy a silicone case solely on the reason that it will be harder for a rubbery silicone case to be placed in a pocket. is there a reason why silicone is better than plastic? Or is it just personal preference?
I used to be a pocket blackberry person too. The silicone case made that way too difficult. Now I'm afraid to put the Tour into the pocket as pocket lint/dust seems to get everywhere on these devices. I'm using the supplied belt clip holdster leather magnet thing.

I don't think the silicone provides any advantages over the plastic aside from not being quite as bulky. It will protect from minor scratches to the sides and back, and extremely minor bumps, but does little outside of that realm.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
DacyJ
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

Wirelessly posted (My name is Bubbles)

I would go to seidio's website and look around. I have bought the hard case and holster for every BlackBerry I've owned and if needed it isn't bad getting in and out of your pocket.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Rubber skin for me

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
sbbytor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by DacyJ View Post
Wirelessly posted (My name is Bubbles)

I would go to seidio's website and look around. I have bought the hard case and holster for every BlackBerry I've owned and if needed it isn't bad getting in and out of your pocket.
Agreed. There the best for hard shell cases. Slim and perfect for those of us who like to keep our BB's in our pockets.

FYI. I bought this hard case from crackberry and it's awesome. It also is slim enough for you to use your holster with it.

B
Old 07-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
jnyost

I love the soft touch hard cases.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Soft touch hard case? That sounds intriguing. Could you post a link?

I am trying to figure out what I want to do. I am a pocket guy who is concerned about lint but also about losing the easy pocket "slide" because of the rubber protector.

In the meantime, am using the case it came with quite happily, but of course, it won't protect from a drop (I've caught it once in mid-air already!).
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 07-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
jnyost

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
Soft touch hard case? That sounds intriguing. Could you post a link?

I am trying to figure out what I want to do. I am a pocket guy who is concerned about lint but also about losing the easy pocket "slide" because of the rubber protector.

In the meantime, am using the case it came with quite happily, but of course, it won't protect from a drop (I've caught it once in mid-air already!).
I don't have one for my tour yet but loved the one on the curve. Here's the curve one. Verizon didn't have any for the tour but I see them on eBay.

BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330 smartphone in Silver Slim Soft Touch Hard Case - Black - Black from Verizon Wireless
Old 07-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
tmenyc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: verizon

I'm still looking for a Tour case that does not have a magnet of any kind, either for closing or proximity sensing. Any recommendations?
I sometimes wear a 1928 watch with a magnetic mainspring...as the watch was my father's first
Old 07-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
stricni
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon wireless

the hard case seems to bulky and it also can get dirt under it and causes the phone go get scratched up, and looks a little nasty after awhile. i purchased the silicone case and it makes it bulky as well but i need the protection for now. when they come out with the soft touch case like i had for my curve i will get that one.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #11
ataneja

Carrier: Sprint

I am sure somebody already posted this, but someone SU recommended this case (Amazon.com: Blackberry HDW-23471-001 Silicone Rubber Gel Skin Cover Wrap for Tour 9630 (Black, Bulk Packaging): Cell Phones & Service). It's cheap too! I ordered one for my bro and one for myself.

The pics on Amazon are his personal pics from his flickr.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
lalalakers24
Thumbs Must Hurt

well, i dont recommend you guys buying any cases off eBay. Well atleast those cases that are under $5.. I purchased one as soon as i bought my Tour and the hard plastic case is VERY VERY fragile.. and it wouldnt fit right so i had to sand down one of the parts so it would fit properly. I enclosed my BB when i first got it, found out that it didnt fit right so i took it apart and it almost broke! I can see the plastic about to snap.. So now I'm too scared to even take the case off my blackberry.
HOWEVER! other than the fact that this case is very fragile, its very thin (a plus) so i can still fit it in my holster, and looks nice. But i'm gonna buy another case just in case this one breaks.. which might be anytime soon
Old 07-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
Zacht
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile

I never was a fan of plastic cases. I purchased a rubber case from here, BlackBerry Tour Cases, and it works great. I keep my phone in my pocket regulary and have no problems with the case. Of course I usually wear khakis or slacks, so there wouldn't be much friction. When I try to use the case with my jeans, I usually get tired of it and just let my tour go naked.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #14
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalakers24 View Post
well, i dont recommend you guys buying any cases off eBay. Well atleast those cases that are under $5.. I purchased one as soon as i bought my Tour and the hard plastic case is VERY VERY fragile.. and it wouldnt fit right so i had to sand down one of the parts so it would fit properly. I enclosed my BB when i first got it, found out that it didnt fit right so i took it apart and it almost broke! I can see the plastic about to snap.. So now I'm too scared to even take the case off my blackberry.
HOWEVER! other than the fact that this case is very fragile, its very thin (a plus) so i can still fit it in my holster, and looks nice. But i'm gonna buy another case just in case this one breaks.. which might be anytime soon
Most likely its fragile because as u noted, its "thin" so usually that's why a nice thick one works alright. As noted before, Seidio cases are great.

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!

Last edited by xxDruMMer BoYxx; 07-21-2009 at 08:30 PM..
Old 07-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360
Carrier: Sprint

Anyone wrap their's in that invisible sheild protectors? I'm debating on just wrapping it with the protector stuff rather then getting a case this time.

Closed Thread