Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
zetroc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default Skype for Mobile on Vzw 9630

Please Login to Remove!

I just placed a skype to skype call on my phone using the mobile skype app, and it placed an actual call. On my call log it appears as skype call, but it actually dialed a 404 number. It says skype to skype calls are free, however, if it's actually dialing a number, is my airtime being deducted? I thought the calls went over data...

Can anyone clarify?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

You should contact Verizon or Skype.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
zetroc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Verizon didn't provide much help. While the rep acknowledged that skype to skype calls are free, he said the phone still had to dial a call... which doesn't make sense to me since the calls are supposed to be going over the data connection... Hence why I'm asking for some clarification here.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
hmfoster
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

I used the Skype to call a computer and had the same 404 area code show as connected to. Call quality was fine. I just talked to Verizon and they basically said the same that there is a phone # connect ? would be interesting to see if the 404-941.... are all the same #
Old 03-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

If you read the help file, it indicates that "Skype-to-Skype calls are free to make and receive and calling international numbers uses Skype Credit, just like it done on your Desktop PC. Calls to US numbers will be carried by Verizon Wireless, not Skype, and charged according to your calling plan."

What I take that to mean is that Skype-to-Skype calls to US numbers will not encounter SKYPE charges but will be subject to your regular carrier charges.

Last edited by Motorcycle Mama; 03-25-2010 at 06:15 PM..
Old 03-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
PressureDrop
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: dr01d
Carrier: Verizon (LTE!)

You obviously missed this part when you installed it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skype.jpg (103.4 KB, 90 views)
Old 03-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

can't be any clearer than that.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
hzhao
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I think you all missed some thing here:

Per VZW and Skype, if you using VZW Skype app to call a Skype user ID, the call is free of airtime charge. VZW DO use the voice network to make the connection, therefore, you will see it is a regular call on your phone.

However, if you using VZW Skype app to call a regular US phone number, normal VZW service plan will apply.

If you using VZW Skype app to call an normal internetional number, the Skype international rate will apply. You will need to using your Skype account to pre-pay the Skype Credit for such calls.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #9
PressureDrop
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: dr01d
Carrier: Verizon (LTE!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzhao View Post
I think you all missed some thing here:

Per VZW and Skype, if you using VZW Skype app to call a Skype user ID, the call is free of airtime charge. VZW DO use the voice network to make the connection, therefore, you will see it is a regular call on your phone.

However, if you using VZW Skype app to call a regular US phone number, normal VZW service plan will apply.

If you using VZW Skype app to call an normal internetional number, the Skype international rate will apply. You will need to using your Skype account to pre-pay the Skype Credit for such calls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PressureDrop View Post
What is missed? It is in pretty plain clear language right there on the screen
Old 03-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
hzhao
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressureDrop View Post
What is missed? It is in pretty plain clear language right there on the screen
"Domestic calls" in here refers to all the call you make using Skkpe Mobile to an NON-SKYPE subscriber.

For example, during the Skkpe mobile installation, you are prompted "if you want to import your phone book contact list", if you chose "Yes", all you saved contact will be listed in Skype Mobile. When you open the Skype Mobile and select one of your imported contact, and made a "Domastic" call, that will be apply to your voice plan.

In my practice, I only have my family/friends Skype IDs listed in Skype Mobile, and I only make the Skype mobile to call those Skype IDs, which are all free.

404-941-8603 is the VZW gateway to Skype VoIP network.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
zetroc
Thumbs Must Hurt

After calling Vzw again I was informed that yes the calls are placed via voice and the 404, as mentioned earlier, is the gateway vzw uses.

When you place skype-to-skype calls, you won't incur Skype charges and the duration of the call will not be deducted from your airtime allowance.

I checked this by logging into My Verizon and in fact those calls came up at 0 minutes.

I hope this clarifies this for anyone who was wondering what I was wondering. Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
agtprvctr

Model: 8830
Default Skype Mobile while abroad

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I didn't see it discussed on the forums I've checked nor does Verizon's Skype page this. If I travel abroad with my Tour 9630 and enable the international data plan, could I make calls with Skype Mobile? It sounds like the app routes the call over the voice network regardless of whether you're calling a Skype contact or a real phone, so getting the international data plan wouldn't help. Just wondering if anyone has any details on how this works and how it gets billed, thanks.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:47 AM   #13
hzhao
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtprvctr View Post
Sorry if this has been answered before, but I didn't see it discussed on the forums I've checked nor does Verizon's Skype page this. If I travel abroad with my Tour 9630 and enable the international data plan, could I make calls with Skype Mobile? It sounds like the app routes the call over the voice network regardless of whether you're calling a Skype contact or a real phone, so getting the international data plan wouldn't help. Just wondering if anyone has any details on how this works and how it gets billed, thanks.
No, It will not work outside Verizon network, include aboard and roaming on other network. It is under "Help" menu under the Skype Mobile.
Closed Thread