PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Please Sprint Please!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:50 AM   #24
evmonk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm generally very critical of "smartphones." I think RIM is perfectly capable of releasing a Curve (same size, same price) with 3g, GPS, a 3-megapixel camera with video recording, WiFi, and a faster processor and browser to handle the WiFi ("Itxxx8217;s loading. Itxxx8217;s thinking. Itxxx8217;s all ****** up. It canxxx8217;t handle the speed.xxx8221; Haha). It appears that they're in unspoken collusion with most other phone manufacturers operating in the U.S. to trickle out technology slowly but surely, maximizing their profits at each step.

But despite this, I'm still very satisfied with the 8320 in relation to the competition. It has been a pleasure to use so far, and the only devices that compare for me are the Helio Ocean and the upcoming HTC/AT&T 8925. I like the Ocean, but it has tons of bugs. And I don't like AT&T or the super bulky design of the 8925.

As others have pointed out, we haven't yet seen a perfect smartphone with all the features, stability, and usability we'd like. But the 8320 has great phone and speaker quality, a solid camera, a slick and very stable UI, WiFi, and one of the best keyboards and overall designs of any smartphone.

As for the WiFi, it has yet to give me a significant speed boost when browsing, but making calls over UMA is invaluable -- especially in areas with spotty cell service but a solid WiFi connection (like where I'm currently visiting in upstate NY). And you can make calls over WiFi even without HotSpot@Home -- the only difference is that minutes subtract from your plan like a regular call. The UMA calls are, for me, what most distinguish the 8320 from the competition.

Finally, I'd much rather be on T-Mobile than AT&T. Even though AT&T is currently spending huge bucks and winning the battle for subscriptions/phone exclusives/3g rollout/etc., I trust T-Mobile more than AT&T to do what it takes to make it's customers happy over the long run.

Despite all this, I'm still pissed I spent $325 for my new Curve when Amazon is offering it for $75 (albeit with a 2-6 week wait). RIM/T-Mobile, that's messed up.

Overall I love this thing though. I can't stop playing with it. And I spend way too much time reading through these forums to find out more about it.

Just my three cents.

Last edited by John Clark; 09-28-2007 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: Language
Old 09-28-2007, 04:56 AM   #25
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

The real proof for me is going to be whether the UMA/WIFI/GSM operates smoothly. So far the jury is out. I've had one or two instances where the phone shows solid data coverage but does not receive, send or allow browsing.

If this repeats itself this week, the phone will make a return trip to t-mobile.

For a 2 year contract and ~$75 month - these devices need to function as advertised.

I am not a believer in either:

- "It's a bad SIM card"
- "They'll fix it in a firmware/OS update"

Neither ever seem to be the cause for me
Old 09-28-2007, 09:56 AM   #26
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
Carrier: Island of Misfit Toys

what are ya'll doing to get fast wifi speeds? I'm starting to think something is wrong. my mms/picture messaging isn't working either.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #27
beprahst
Thumbs Must Hurt

"you can make calls over WiFi even without HotSpot@Home -- the only difference is that minutes subtract from your plan like a regular call."
----------------------------------------------------
Really? I think that's the first I've heard of that. I didn't think you could make a call over WiFi/UMA without H@H.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:31 AM   #28
robdasho

Model: 8800
PIN: 241A776D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg00 View Post
its really small . It is not that small, the keys on the 8800 are wide and flat and give the perception of a larger phone And how can this both be a pro and con
the trackball and keys make alot of noise even when muted The 8800 did this a BRAND NEW PHONE as well. Once you break it in you wont notice it
wifi browsing is just as slow as edge My WIFi connection is killing EDGE, especially looking up directions
no gps Thats not a con, since you knew the phone didnt have it in the first place. You cant go buy a Honda and list one its cons that it doesnt have a Hemi in it....
Most People don't need GPS in such a small Screen Display.

My Wi-FI speeds are 100 X faster than normal EDGE.

I guess it depends which world you live in.

A Corporate world u need a blackberry over any other "Smartphone"

I can't imagine walking into one of my meetings with a "Sidekick 3" lol.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #29
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

The 8320 is hands down the nicest, most stable, sleekest cell phone I've had, and, I have had ALL of them over 22 years. That includes all the latest Win Mobile phones, which, all the cool features are great, but, aren't rock solid to use a reliable business tool, and FORGET battery life, if using all the features. Yes, the 8320 missing some interesting features, but, RIM has thought out very carefully, the most needed functions for many people "on the go". As far as GPS, I have the FreedomGPS as my keychain, it is tiny (and cool looking) and, it pairs and works perfectly with the 8320. As well, keep in mind, that, for the time one uses GPS, at least the upside of an external puck, you are not using Blackberry battery power. That's a big consideration, when you use WiFi, and bluetooth, etc.. with a Blackberry. As it stands, I can run out of battery steam on the 8320 after 10 hours, if I stream stereo Bluetooth music a lot of the day, phone calls, e-mail, surfing, and even barely use UMA. What wouyld happen if I wanted to use GPS, too?? In addition, UMA + carrying around an Apple airport Express is great for the international traveller (such as myself). I will go next week to Japan, then Germany, and, I assume, in my hotel room, all calls can be made and received through UMA, free ... awesome!!

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com
Old 09-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #30
bbman1605

Model: 7520
Carrier: Sprint

I am actually returning my 8320 this weekend. I like the phone but their are just to many problems. The phone is simply not capable of consistently handling a wifi connection. Sometimes its fast but a lot of the time it's slower than the edge.

My problem is not really the phone. In my area T-mobile's coverage is not that great so i am switching to At&T and getting the 8300 off amazon for free
Old 09-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #31
frontheadlock

Carrier: T-Mo
Default Hmm

Good point.. Here's a question. Let's say I sign up for H@H.. If I'm out of the country (say Italy), and I am connected to a wi-fi hotspot. Does it still charge international roaming or is it UMA there the same as at a Starbucks in Philly?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:48 AM   #32
DJorgie76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeritaM View Post

the Con's

its really small
the trackball and keys make alot of noise even when muted
wifi browsing is just as slow as edge
no gps
I returned my first Curve because of the trackball being rough when scrolled and making noise even though it is muted. My replacement is as smooth as ice and quiet. I also noticed the displays in the store also had the bad trackball as well. I think there may have been something wrong with the first Curves that were sent out, or at least some them. Return yours and get a replacement, or at least go to the store and ask to compare to another new one.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #33
robdasho

Model: 8800
PIN: 241A776D

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontheadlock View Post
Good point.. Here's a question. Let's say I sign up for H@H.. If I'm out of the country (say Italy), and I am connected to a wi-fi hotspot. Does it still charge international roaming or is it UMA there the same as at a Starbucks in Philly?
Now here is a question that has yet to be answered. LOL
Old 09-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #34
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontheadlock View Post
Philly

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com
Old 09-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #35
evmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by beprahst View Post
Really? I think that's the first I've heard of that. I didn't think you could make a call over WiFi/UMA without H@H.
Hmm, well I definitely don't have the HS@H service but it appears that I've made a number of calls over WiFi/UMA. In a couple instances, I haven't had a regular cell signal and UMA was all I had, and the call went through. Right now, I'm on a WiFi network in the office and I have "UMA" in the upper-right corner of the screen. If I make a call now and then walk outside, I will hear a faint "pop" and if I look back at my phone it will say "EDGE" instead of "UMA." When I check my bill online, the calls that began on WiFi have a "U" next to them (indicating a HS@H call), but instead of being free the minutes end up being charged to my monthly plan.

So I'm assuming that all this means I'm making calls over WiFi?

I don't have the time to research and go through the forums right now to confirm this is a standard experience, but is anyone else without HS@H able to make calls over WiFi? Or am I misinterpreting something?

Last edited by evmonk; 09-28-2007 at 01:40 PM..
Old 09-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #36
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm

You can make calls over wifi without the H@H plan, it just goes against your minutes.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:08 PM   #37
mariana881

PIN: 24218562
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl View Post
The photos are so much better than the Pearl's and I like the full keyboard and bigger screen. Sound is MUCH louder too. And the back cover fits perfectly although I might still get the Seidio one since it will have a rubberized back and speaker cutout even thought the sound is already pretty loud! And once I get a bluetooth capable headset, I will love listening to music via A2DP! AND NO MORE SURETYPE, YAY!!!

However, I did prefer the cute, smaller size of the Pearl (easier for me to hold and type -- I can't type with one hand anymore ) and I miss the colored trackball program. OH YEAH, the Curve doesn't have a hole for a wrist strap or lanyard, and I am big on those because I'm always afraid of dropping it!
I totally agree....coming from the Pearl, this phone feels amazing, I dont even mind that it is a little bit bigger. I also really miss the colored trackball and wish that one could be created for the 8300.

One thing i would also agree with is that the keys and track ball are pretty loud. I had an 8700g and a Pearl and I dont ever remember the keys being this loud. I could send a message while sitting in class without anyone noticing but with the 8300 the sound is definitely more prominent.

Last edited by JSanders; 09-28-2007 at 02:09 PM..
Old 09-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #38
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Options > Screen/Keyboard > Key Tone = Off.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #39
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Nope - the actual key clicks and trackball movement (audible roll) are MUCH louder on the 8320. I have all of the effects turned off.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #40
rustypixel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

I have to agree. After reading some of this similar "complaint" I muted my trackball and I was still able to hear a clicking coming from it. The same goes for the keys; there is a definite loud click for each keypress. Since this is my first BB I just assumed all of this was 'normal'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Nope - the actual key clicks and trackball movement (audible roll) are MUCH louder on the 8320. I have all of the effects turned off.

Out of my mind and out of control!
Closed Thread