Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
rsun
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: at&t/T-Mobile/Verizon
Default Memory problems on the 8830

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, we've been fighting an issue more recently with some of our Verizon 8830's. It's the normal problem of users complaining that their e-mails and call logs and such are disappearing. I have them check their memory and of course it's 0, etc. Once interesting, is that I just have to have them take the battery out and put it in, and they're back to 15 - 20 MB. I've asked the users to monitor it themselves and when they are under 4MB, just try taking the battery out and putting it in and see what happens. Viola, they have plenty of memory again. After fighting with Verizon that these problems "don't exist", they said, oh, it's addressed in the latest firmware. So we spent time upgrading loads of our users to 4.2.2.148, a couple months past, and guess what, we're back to where we started. Now after going back and forth again with Verizon, RIM, etc. they are now saying it's Sametime that's causing the problem. So we're running "BlackBerry Instance Messaging for IBM(R) Lotus Sametime(R)" 1.1.32, has anyone else tried removing this to see if the "memory leak" stops happening? I asked for an SDR on this, but they can't seem to produce one yet. Are we the only ones complaining?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

I would have them free up memory so they have more buffer...

How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ

And then go on an educational campaign talking about properly closing applications so they are not piling up in the background. Always using Esc or
Menu + Edn (or Close) Never user the Red End key...

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 09-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #3
rsun
CrackBerry Addict

We already had this go through this and removed as much as we can. Most of our devices that have this problem have 20MB+ free of memory after you pop the battery out and put it it. I think that's pretty darn high considering that you only start with 48MB. And the devices that come back at 15MB+, I think it's reasonable to have 5MB of data on their device. Don't know how people can survive on their BlackBerry's having 20MB+ free, must be almost nothing on it

Last edited by rsun; 09-28-2007 at 09:57 PM..
Old 09-28-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsun View Post
We already had this go through this and removed as much as we can. Most of our devices that have this problem have 20MB+ free of memory after you pop the battery out and put it it. I think that's pretty darn high considering that you only start with 48MB.
Next time it happens grab one and Alt + Esc to see just how much they have running in the background. You are right though...RIM should address the issue.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
rsun
CrackBerry Addict

At first, they were like it must be the media settings and they kept telling me this "Reduce the value set in the Reserved Pictures Memory field. This field sets the amount of memory reserved for picture files."

I kept arguing with them that this didn't exist on the 8830. After several mails from me, I can only assume that whoever was on my case, wasn't reading it clearly (or thinking I wasn't reading their mail clearly), they said, oh sorry, this option is for BlackBerry with camera's only, etc.

So now they have me sending them the database sizes with this procedure:

- To check this, go to Options > status > Click the trackwheel/ball and select Database sizes.
- Hit the track wheel again and select copy sizes
- Paste them into an email and send them for review
Old 09-28-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
rsun
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
Next time it happens grab one and Alt + Esc to see just how much they have running in the background. You are right though...RIM should address the issue.
It's hard to me to have the users explain to me all the applications they see with the alt/back key combination

I said I had users who never used the client, but have it installed, but RIM was thinking that even with their Sametime client installed, a memory leak would occur.

On my 8320, I have Sametime installed, and yes, if I open it up, I see it running in the background, but if I escape out of it, and do the alt/back to check what's running, I don't see it as an icon. If the program was really running in the background, shouldn't I see it in the applications list? Waiting for RIM's next response.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsun View Post
It's hard to me to have the users explain to me all the applications they see with the alt/back key combination

I said I had users who never used the client, but have it installed, but RIM was thinking that even with their Sametime client installed, a memory leak would occur.

On my 8320, I have Sametime installed, and yes, if I open it up, I see it running in the background, but if I escape out of it, and do the alt/back to check what's running, I don't see it as an icon. If the program was really running in the background, shouldn't I see it in the applications list? Waiting for RIM's next response.
If it's running you WILL see it! If it's not there it's not consuming.... unless they are thinking that it never properly releases the memory it consumed...you could benchmark your memory...start the application and use it. Then close the application and see if the memory was degraded...do it a couple of times and if it keeps going down you might have your answer. If it releases it and it returns to the same amount you benchmarked then you can cross it off your list.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #8
rsun
CrackBerry Addict

I've tried that a few times, but can't seem to see any dramatic difference, what's odd is that this "memory leak" that people are experiencing, is somewhere between 1 - 6 weeks where they hit 0. Users who lasted 6 weeks don't remember taking their battery out, etc. to reboot. We've also tried strange things like setting the Auto On/Off, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Would they be more inclined to reset their memory if they didn't have to pull the battery? I think someone said you can produce a hard reset with a double sequence of keys. If not I beleive that SoftRest a program by MetsFan works on the 8830, it allows the user to hard reset without pulling the battery...

Old 09-28-2007, 10:18 PM   #10
rsun
CrackBerry Addict

Thanks for the idea, I never thought about using the SoftReset app. I'll get someone to install it and see if that does the same thing.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:42 AM   #11
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

148 has this issue, as did .66 its less in .148 then .66 i loaded the gsm 8820 cod instead of the vz 146 which put my phone at .168 and it seemed to fix the memory week going on over a week now, and i am still at 22 megs free, where with .66 or .148 i would be at 11 megs by now. you can wait a lil for a verizon release, or you can steal the cods or java directory from the 8830 att download and test this.
Closed Thread