Old 10-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
djf

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Best Bluetooth GPS ?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi
Completely new user of Blackberry and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Curve 8330.
I've read through a lot of threads and am trying to decide which is the best bluetooth GPS receiver to get. Someone said the iTrek M5 installed and worked effortlessly and it's price is excellent BUT then I read a review on a different site that said the flashing lights on the face were so disturbing when on the car dash he had to velcro it in upside down as they reflected in the windshield. This has put me off buying it.
Can anyone suggest a good, reliable, easy to install GPS receiver for the Curve please? It needs to be easy to install as I know absolutely nothing about Blackberry's.
Also it seems that Google Maps is a good nav software. When using it on the phone are there any connection charges from the carriers, I'm with Verizon?
Thanks in advance.
David
Old 10-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by djf View Post
Also it seems that Google Maps is a good nav software. When using it on the phone are there any connection charges from the carriers, I'm with Verizon?
Google Maps requires a BB data plan. That's all you have to pay for to use it, regardless of carrier. It's a great app but IMO not a good in-car navigation app (no voice prompts and directions do not automatically advance) unless you have a copilot.

Quote:
Can anyone suggest a good, reliable, easy to install GPS receiver for the Curve please? It needs to be easy to install as I know absolutely nothing about Blackberry's.
Have you looked around in this and the bluetooth forum? There's really nothing to install. You need to pair the puck with the BB. The Freedom puck seems to be very popular.

Last edited by takeshi; 10-07-2008 at 10:46 AM..
Old 10-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
djf

Model: Curve
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I have subscribed to the data plan.
I waded through the forum and decided to go with the Holux M1200 as nobody came up with any recommendations. there's one thread that rates it highly and the price on eBay for a new one was very reasonable.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
dude33333
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

call up ATT stores and see if anyone has one in stock, maybe itll be on sale...
Old 10-13-2008, 01:15 AM   #5
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

Technically all Bluetooth GPS receivers work fine. I am using a Holux GR-231 BT GPS receiver. It is quite old by now and I think they don't produce it anymore. However, all Holux BT GPS dongles are really good.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:11 AM   #6
yaesumofo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: 302tBF06
Carrier: verizon wireless

Quote:
Hi
Completely new user of Blackberry and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Curve 8330.
I've read through a lot of threads and am trying to decide which is the best bluetooth GPS receiver to get. Someone said the iTrek M5 installed and worked effortlessly and it's price is excellent BUT then I read a review on a different site that said the flashing lights on the face were so disturbing when on the car dash he had to velcro it in upside down as they reflected in the windshield. This has put me off buying it.
Thanks in advance.
David

I picked up one of these from fry's:
Ambicom

It was well under $50.00 when on sale and works extremely well.
I have numerous gps devices and the ambicom is clearly the most sensitive.
It is also able to lock very quickly even after a 2000 mile move. Inside my house it is able to get a 3d fix within 30 seconds from a cold start.
the Bluetooth side works perfectly with my verizon curve.
Go for it.
Yaesumofo
Closed Thread