Old 10-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
dude33333
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default google maps features

Please Login to Remove!

so ive been using google maps for several hours each day and I'm starting to find myself wanting some additional features... maybe i just dont know how to use them?

is there any way to make the map rotate in the direction im going, so its easier to tell which way i should turn. is there anyway to have it automatically go to the next step, or give a warning before each turn or direction is about to come. I pretty much want more of a navigation system, anything in that direction for free would be great. dont get me wrong, i love google maps and would be completely lost without it but are there any other features to it other than zoom, my location, favorites, scrolling, next and last direction, sat view...that i just dont know about?

im looking for some sort of automation

Ive tried AmazeGPS and dont like it. I cant get Nav4All to work with my phone/puck
Old 10-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8320)

You might want to check out MapQuest Navigator. They have a yearly subscription for about $50. It provides turn-by-turn voice directions.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
dude33333
Thumbs Must Hurt

yeah $50 isnt bad....
oi, its soo frustrating it has the capability but not not the software, would it be that hard for google to put a few more features in there? I wouldnt mind a few ads to pay for it, like, on your route would you like to have a baconator? (wendys commercial) see what im sayin??? theres money to be made!!! someone please make a free nav app!!!! who in this world has the ability to do that????

But i'll prolly buy maqquest i guess.... any apps with a decent free trial period?
Old 10-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude33333 View Post
is there any way to make the map rotate in the direction im going, so its easier to tell which way i should turn.
Nope.

Quote:
is there anyway to have it automatically go to the next step, or give a warning before each turn or direction is about to come.
Nope.

Quote:
I pretty much want more of a navigation system
Well, to put it bluntly, get an actual nav app. Google Maps is a great app but it's not suitable for in-car navigation IMO since it doesn't have voice prompts or automatically step through directions. In my experience you pretty much get what you pay for with the nav app options for the BB.

Quote:
would it be that hard for google to put a few more features in there?
You know, any time anyone starts off with "How hard can it be...?" my first thought is that the person asking the question has no clue. Have you ever coded software? Creating something takes much more than just saying "Make it so".

Quote:
someone please make a free nav app!!!! who in this world has the ability to do that????
Refer to the stickied thread of GPS apps. There are plenty of options. Again, I'll say that you get what you pay for.

Last edited by takeshi; 10-08-2008 at 02:23 PM..
Old 10-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
dude33333
Thumbs Must Hurt

I paid for a smart phone, data/voice plan, and GPS puck.

I have taken computer programming classes for BASIC, i have no clue what sort of language RIM uses or how someone would create a program for it. Does anyone have any good resources on writing your own app? lol maybe I'll just make one myself...

some programmer out there must want their simple, free, no frills, nav app to be used by thousands. I guess the main issue would prolly be mapping/routing... If someone could make a program that piggy backs google maps, or something like that

EDIT: now that nav4all is working, this is pretty much what a was looking for, Amaze is too buggy.

Last edited by dude33333; 10-13-2008 at 02:43 PM..
Closed Thread