PIN: N/A
Carrier: Flights

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwella View Post
Google proxy servers and use that. It will change your ip

d
Thanks for your advice!

I tried to use Google translation to get it, but I failed. It says the link is invalid.

I use link to BB home page can get Blackberry website, but cannot find the OS.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #142
Tiger Chen

Model: 9000
Carrier: Flights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Chen View Post
Thanks for your advice!

I tried to use Google translation to get it, but I failed. It says the link is invalid.

I use link to BB home page can get Blackberry website, but cannot find the OS.
Here is the link I used:
Translated version of http://www.blackberry.com/
Old 01-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #143
dwella
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Chen View Post
Here is a site that will operate in China. Check it out.

Proxy List 1 - Proxy 4 Free - Protect Your Online Privacy!

d
Old 01-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #144
coreys

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T
Default Japanese input

I might be late to the party on this one but the Hutchinson OS has Japanese input. Huzzah!
Old 01-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #145
Smatty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
Carrier: O2

As JSanders may remember, I'm a bit of a novice in all of this.

I operate a bold, using O2email.co.uk for 3 addresses. I am currently downloading the OS upgrade, which will be the first upgrade since I received my bold back in Sept 08.

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of - what is this re-sending books etc

I'm a tad nervous,

regards,

Smatty
Old 01-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #146
PDADoc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9780
PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: AT&T, Vodaphone (UK), T-Mobile (Germany)

Just finished the update from .167 to .216, and while the update went smoothly, I did notice a few things:

I performed backups of both settings and data and 3rd-party apps before I started, but when I restored my backups, none of my settings seemed to have been restored, and I had to re-enter all of my registration codes (something I'm still doing as I type this). Lost all of the numbers and settings from Cerberus Call Filter, what a PITA!!!!

I also noticed that while restoring my 3rd-party apps, the process hung and I had to do a battery pull and start again; it went through this time. I was a little nervous that I was going to lose all of my Blackberry Messenger contacts, but they're back (thank heaven!), though I've lost all of my conversations, which I can live with.

The one glaring thing I've noticed after the update to .216 is that the boot time is soooo much longer for me; is anyone else experiencing this?

I hope I won't notice too many more things as I go, but it's too soon to tell whether this move was a positive or negative for me; inconvenient, yes, but not too bad yet.

BlackBerry Bold 9780
BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB
Old 01-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #147
Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Oh boy, I just updated according to the instructions in this thread and all my application preferences seem to have disappeared (BeeJive accounts, Facebook email, BerryTunes radio stations etc.). I've upgraded the OS on this and previous BBs many times without this problem but I believe this is the first time I tried using the loader in the OS directory instead of going through Desktop Manager, is this where I went wrong?

I made a full backup before installing named LoaderBackup-(2009-01-26).ipd, is there some way I can restore my app preferences from this backup? If so, what database(s) do I need to copy over? Any help would be most appreciated, as well as advice on how to avoid this problem in the future!
Old 01-27-2009, 03:41 AM   #148
CrownAmbassador

Carrier: Vodacom

Is there a list anywhere that shows what was changed on the different OS versions? Like a changelog? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:55 AM   #149
PDADoc

Wirelessly posted

No, it appears that RIM never publicly releases changelogs.

It's too bad, because I would be interested to know
What the supposed changes are as opposed to the actual changes.

BlackBerry Bold 9780
BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB
Old 01-27-2009, 03:59 AM   #150
CrownAmbassador

Carrier: Vodacom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDADoc View Post
Wirelessly posted

No, it appears that RIM never publicly releases changelogs.

It's too bad, because I would be interested to know
What the supposed changes are as opposed to the actual changes.
Thanks. I'll just stay with my pre-installed OS then as it is not giving any problem. I don't want to update without knowing why really and then have problems.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:13 AM   #151
PDADoc

Wirelessly posted

I'm on the fence about whether I like this build.

While I do see significantly greater free memory, I am also experiencing RF issues.

In places where I usually get good signal quality, I'm now losing all network signal until I restart the device.

I have also seen a couple of spontaneous restarts out of nowhere.

As much time as I spent on this update, I think I might have to go back to .167, where, other than less memory, I had no other problems.

Anyone else thinking along these lines?

Are the benefits outweighing the drawbacks? Or vice-versa?

BlackBerry Bold 9780
BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB

Last edited by PDADoc; 01-27-2009 at 04:15 AM..
Old 01-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #152
GolfnCPA

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

I'm on the fence about whether I like this build.

While I do see significantly greater free memory, I am also experiencing RF issues.

In places where I usually get good signal quality, I'm now losing all network signal until I restart the device.

I have also seen a couple of spontaneous restarts out of nowhere.

As much time as I spent on this update, I think I might have to go back to .167, where, other than less memory, I had no other problems.

Anyone else thinking along these lines?

Are the benefits outweighing the drawbacks? Or vice-versa?
Doc:

You are going down the same line of reasoning that I have been through. What I can tell you is that none of the OS over .200 worked well for me, including .216. I have been running, and extremely satisfied with, .185, which IMHO is leaps and bounds ahead of .167 in memory and battery management. I have also found no issues with this OS. Before you drop all the way back to .167, at least go to .185 and give it a shot. Still the most beneficial improvement in OS upgrades that I have seen to current.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:31 AM   #153
kevintech

Carrier: AT&T

is there a reason why we delete vender.xml?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:18 AM   #154
PDADoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfnCPA View Post
Doc:

You are going down the same line of reasoning that I have been through. What I can tell you is that none of the OS over .200 worked well for me, including .216. I have been running, and extremely satisfied with, .185, which IMHO is leaps and bounds ahead of .167 in memory and battery management. I have also found no issues with this OS. Before you drop all the way back to .167, at least go to .185 and give it a shot. Still the most beneficial improvement in OS upgrades that I have seen to current.
I took your advice and went to .185; for me, at least, .216 proved to be too sluggish and quirky. Rebooting took three times as long as with .167, and as I said before, what good is extra file free memory if the device isn't as responsive? So far so good with .185 so far, but if anything, this is [to me] a perfect illustration of the old maxim: "if it isn't broken, don't fix it".

It also brings up one of the pet peeves I have about the Blackberry OS: the memory architecture. Here I have a device with 1GB of device memory, but I can't selectively install programs into it, or have any other control over how the device uses memory. Say what you will about Windows Mobile, but with the high-end devices I always have, I've never had problems with the memory management, at least not with the devices I have now. I'm new to the Blackberry OS, and I'm trying to like it, but it's not been easy. I'm learning that this device is really for those users who simply want e-mail and not much more. They're offering more features but they're not always well thought out.

Still hanging in there, so I hope the neurotically devoted don't start yelling at me in defense of their beloved devices, LOL!

BlackBerry Bold 9780
BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB

Last edited by PDADoc; 01-28-2009 at 04:26 AM..
Old 01-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #155
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

My question is when will AT&T provide an offical new release? Are they waiting to deploy visual VM before we get a new OS?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #156
GolfnCPA

Quote:
I took your advice and went to .185; for me, at least, .216 proved to be too sluggish and quirky. Rebooting took three times as long as with .167, and as I said before, what good is extra file free memory if the device isn't as responsive? So far so good with .185 so far, but if anything, this is [to me] a perfect illustration of the old maxim: "if it isn't broken, don't fix it".

It also brings up one of the pet peeves I have about the Blackberry OS: the memory architecture. Here I have a device with 1GB of device memory, but I can't selectively install programs into it, or have any other control over how the device uses memory. Say what you will about Windows Mobile, but with the high-end devices I always have, I've never had problems with the memory management, at least not with the devices I have now. I'm new to the Blackberry OS, and I'm trying to like it, but it's not been easy. I'm learning that this device is really for those users who simply want e-mail and not much more. They're offering more features but they're not always well thought out.

Still hanging in there, so I hope the neurotically devoted don't start yelling at me in defense of their beloved devices, LOL!
If you are new to the Blackberry experience, which I am as well (2 years), it can be a little frustrating with some of the design issues of the OS, especially when you come from WM or Palm devices, but from what I understand the progress is leaps and bounds since RIM has started focusing on the consumer market, and I do expect further improvements to be made. I believe your comments about memory control are one of the things they are focusing on in future releases.

True about messaging being the strength of the BB OS. No argument at all. As for it being exclusively a messaging device? It's getting better. The Bold is drastically advanced compared to the prior releases (8100, 8300, and 8800) and 4.5/4.6 was much enhanced compared to 4.2/4.3. The Storm is the foray into touchscreen. The 8900 Curve is also going to be a further enhancement. Basically, the phones are getting the capability to do all of the things that "other brands" have. But primarily, it's a voice and messaging device, with a wonderful PDA aspect to it.

Then again, I am a BB lover because that's all I use it for. Don't surf the web much on my phone for two reasons 1.) the small screen gives me a headache, and 2.) 90% of my life I am in near proximity to a PC.

What I can tell you, without equivocation, is this, and I am not bashing any brand:

1.) I can answer long emails from my phone, send them to clients, without fear of spelling errors.
2.) I always have my calendar, contacts and tasks available to me.
3.) I have no problems with the phone, BT, etc.

The Blackberry is the most reliable device I have ever used, for what I need. My previous PDAs (8525, Treo, and even a two week stint with an iPhone) I couldn't say that.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:42 AM   #157
GolfnCPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
My question is when will AT&T provide an offical new release? Are they waiting to deploy visual VM before we get a new OS?
Yes. AT&T gets their fair share of bashing on various websites, but it appears they will not release a new OS until they are confident in its stability (see 8 month delay in Bold release). Evidently, according to various websites, the release will be .219 with VVM, and will be coming soon.

From what I know, .219 is the first OS with VVM ability.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #158
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

.216 is now official from T-Mobile UK

http://updateservice.t-mobile.net/
Old 01-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #159
PDADoc

Wirelessly posted

Okay, I have to ask: what's the big deal about Visual Voicemail anyway?

I keep seeing posts about it like it's the greatest thing to come along. Yes, I know what it is, I have an iPhone 3G sitting in my desk drawer somewhere, I just don't see the big deal.

Someone care to clue me in?

BlackBerry Bold 9780
BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB
Old 01-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #160
PDADoc

Wirelessly posted

@GolfnCPA:

Thanks for the insightful take on the BB OS.

Yes, I do see your points, coming from where it once was. I guess I am in that minority of power users who almost never had any major problems with the WM OS, and still don't.

I got this Bold for free so I thought I'd try it. As I said, I'm mostly happy with it, I just wish it didn't cost so darn much to be able to use BES with my hosted Exchange account (between 4smartphone and AT&T it would end up costing me more than $100/month).

I'm not a corporate person, just a physician in private practice. At least with all the other platforms, I could still use my Exchange Mail with no added charges. The Blackberry has to have one of the highest TCOs around!

I also wish the porting of medical software to this OS was better, but that's another story, lol!

BlackBerry Bold 9780
BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB
Closed Thread