Old 08-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #21
brill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
The microcell would probably work for me if I had a way to spoof the GPS. My set up, network connections, server, routers, switches, etc are in the basement and there is no window that I can use to place the thing or the GPS antenna to get a GPS signal.
They say that, but my Microcell is nowhere near a window... so who knows? Maybe it only needs a GPS signal for the initial activation? All I know is that there are no towers anywhere near my house. I live in the boonies, but I get a full strength signal where previosly I had an SOS.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #22
brill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
One other minor thing, but a big deal for Mac users. ATT does include a CD in the box but it is a "mini" CD and a Mac doesn't accept it nor read it from their internal CD/DVD drives. Works OK on most PCs though.
I think that CD was worthless. If memory serves, the CD was just a redirect to an online download.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #23
andriver
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brill View Post
I think that CD was worthless. If memory serves, the CD was just a redirect to an online download.
That is correct.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #24
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon
Default Day 3 and growing on me. . . . .

I'm liking it more, the more used to it I become. One thing I saw in a recent review that hit the nail on the head is that the relatively low res screen is no big deal, despite the caterwauling of the tech press. Because given the screen size, a higher res would render characters so fine and small as to be a considerable strain. I have a variety of PC/Laptop monitors with varying specs and capabilities, and I've noticed over time that the high end, hi res stuff becomes a resource hog and a pain in the eyes and neck, other than when you're doing some thing specific to hi-res. The Torch display specs seem well suited to the Torch form. I can't help but wish for a little more in the processor end, however.

But gripes aside it allows a high degree of personalization, which means for me stripping out a lot of bloaty fluff. I have no doubt there's an app for that, but I do doubt whether there's a need for that. I figure it will be a few weeks before I wrestle the whole set-up into optimal shape, but I can tell already its a step up because I'm doing more faster. I also figure that since this is RIM's first full foray into browsing and with a new hybrid touch/track/keyboard system, and it being the initial iteration, the few hiccups I've encountered will be smoothed out in subsequent leaks and rollouts. If anything, I've been surprised how well my old apps have ported over, even when they weren't designed to go 6.0 and I was warned that they wouldn't.

Its too early to say if its the best BlackBerry ever, but it may well be. I also think its a solid start to build on for the faster processing units in the pipeline. I've never been sold on the Pop-tart form of the Iphones and Droids, and as they flatten out toward tablets, they aren't growing any on me. We will have to see how the screen and slide hold up to wear and tear, but I do think RIM has come up with a refinement of an old idea (portrait slider) that works more functionally than either the pure touch screen or the landscape slider. At least for someone who pushes a lot of text to and from their phone.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #25
wifiberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t

I'm sitting on the fence. I spent over an hour with one in the store yesterday. There's a lot to like. Everything about it's styling and form factor appeals to me. Build quality seems very good. My concerns revolve around the initial reports I've read about poor call quality, a lagging OS, then some minor points.

I'm not looking for perfection, just reliability and acceptable call quality.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #26
Tom
Admin & Founder

PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

I am actually getting better reception and better call quality with the 9800 then with my 9700. I find that this phone puts my 9700 to shame and my iPhone 3GS to shame in terms of battery life, ease of response to an email/txt message/bbm and reception.

I think the only thing at present that is left appealing on the iphone is the appstore, which is much better, with so many more apps then the present blackberry market.

The new browser works quite well to.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:24 PM   #27
tbird57
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: OU812
Carrier: AT$T/Choked

Quote:
Sorry. I am telling it like it happens. I have what AT&T describes as a "white hole" around my house. Outside of 50 feet, I am good. Inside, all bets are off.

But then maybe I was just holding it incorrectly.
at my house I used to have a five bar signal...solid very solid...now I am lucky if I see one bar..dropped or faded calls all the time...no matter what device I use...my 8310 the 9800 and the iPhone 3G

Old 08-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #28
tbird57
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: OU812
Carrier: AT$T/Choked

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifiberry View Post
My concerns revolve around the initial reports I've read about poor call quality, a lagging OS, then some minor points.

what is wrong with the call quality?

Old 08-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #29
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I have found call quality to be good - as good or better than other BBs. But them I can't hear after all those years of flying noisy airplanes.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #30
rdef
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: ATT

Been using mine for a day, and overall I'm very satisfied. I was worried--based on the reviews--that I would not be happy with the screen resolution, but it's not an issue at all. It is very bright, clear and sharp. The only negative is the sometimes-tinny feedback.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #31
poolbizz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: q30
PIN: g
Carrier: metro pcs

Took the wife to look at it , she was between the 9800 and 9700 . Too many steps with 9800 to use keyboard with the slide thingy is a hassle . She bought the 9700 and I hope Rim keeps the 9000 size .
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #32
dameek

Hey DubDub...I have the microcell and connected a wireless game adapter to it so I can place it anywhere in the house I want. Wireless routers upstairs, microcell downstairs.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #33
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameek View Post
Hey DubDub...I have the microcell and connected a wireless game adapter to it so I can place it anywhere in the house I want. Wireless routers upstairs, microcell downstairs.
How are you getting around the GPS requirement?

-->>Twitter

Old 08-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #34
dz8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifiberry View Post
I'm sitting on the fence. I spent over an hour with one in the store yesterday. There's a lot to like. Everything about it's styling and form factor appeals to me. Build quality seems very good. My concerns revolve around the initial reports I've read about poor call quality, a lagging OS, then some minor points.

The call quality is a hit and miss. There's a bunch of folks on another thread reporting call quality issues (tin can). I for one have not had a call quality problem but we'll wait and see (it's only been 4 days).

There's some slight lag every so often, not always. Nothing that bothers me too much but others might be annoyed with it. That said I got the Bold 9000 when it first came out and it also had lag. A subsequent OS update fixed it. BB6 is brand new and perhaps they can optimize it down the road? I remember my bold lagged in similar ways to the 9800.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #35
dameek

Quote:
How are you getting around the GPS requirement?
I'm not sure about your question, but the GPS works independently of your wireless network. In fact I have the microcell sitting on my desk and have my laptop plugged into the microcell to get internet access. Works flawlessly.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #36
dz8

Hmm... the manual (as well as people on the official AT&T forums) suggest GPS is a requirement for activation and usage. In fact, when I got mine, it would not work at all until I moved it closer to a window and had the GPS LED light up. After that it's worked fine (I did not move it away from the window). Documentation and folks online are saying that it only works if the GPS unit detects that it's in the location it's registered for (something about an FCC requirement for 911 calls?). Maybe they relaxed this requirement in some newer units?
Old 08-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #37
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz8 View Post
Hmm... the manual (as well as people on the official AT&T forums) suggest GPS is a requirement for activation and usage. In fact, when I got mine, it would not work at all until I moved it closer to a window and had the GPS LED light up. After that it's worked fine (I did not move it away from the window). Documentation and folks online are saying that it only works if the GPS unit detects that it's in the location it's registered for (something about an FCC requirement for 911 calls?). Maybe they relaxed this requirement in some newer units?
That is the problem I have. All my network stuff is in the basement. No window to hang a GPS antenna to keep the signal.

Does it come with an antenna?

-->>Twitter

Old 08-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #38
dz8

There's a port for an external antenna but it's not included in the box. You could still do what Dameek said and get some type of wifi to ethernet bridge and just put the microcell somewhere else in your house.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #39
brill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
That is the problem I have. All my network stuff is in the basement. No window to hang a GPS antenna to keep the signal.

Does it come with an antenna?
Mine works fine, and it's not near a window. Took a little longer to activate, but eventually it did, and not it works like a champ.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #40
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I find that this phone puts my 9700 to shame . . .in terms of battery life, ease of response to an email/txt message/bbm and reception
I can see battery life and reception, although my 9700 is pretty thrifty on her battery and works well on the phone lines, but what is it about ease of response that puts the 9700 to shame. I just push the r key when I want to respond to an email, pin msg, or txt, and bingo!

I would have thought browser, or superior hardware, but easier response to an email?

What do you see specifically about the 9800 that puts the 9700 to shame, if you don't mind, as I am looking at the 9800, but still love my 9700.

Last edited by guinda35; 08-15-2010 at 06:01 PM..
Closed Thread