BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 10:55 AM   #1
StevenT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default 7250 factory default theme not include calculator?

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I'm slightly confused and hope someone can clear up an issue I'm having.
I got a new 7250 and just realized that the calculator app does not work (display is all messed up).

Now, I know that installation of certain themes result in a non-functioning calculator. For instance, based on the posts on this board, it is my understanding that the small icon theme does not have a properly functioning calculator. However, the default theme that comes on the 7250 is the small icon theme (at least from Alltel). As such, I am beginning to conclude that the stock, unmodified 7250 does not include a working calculator, which I find rediculous. Please someone tell me if I'm wrong or not, and how I can fix this problem.
Thanks
Old 08-28-2005, 09:20 PM   #2
StevenT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, things went from bad to worse, but thanks to the help of this forum and its users, I was able to get my BB back to a normal state, and I'm glad to report that the calculator is now working. Not sure how it got corrupted in the first place, but suspect it was from loading of another theme (only tried the orange and vodafone themes).
This forum is definitely the holy land for BB users.
Moderator, please feel free to close/eliminate this thread.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:41 AM   #3
AlohaDan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: verizon wireless
Default Calculator messed-up too

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenT
Ok, things went from bad to worse, but thanks to the help of this forum and its users, I was able to get my BB back to a normal state, and I'm glad to report that the calculator is now working. Not sure how it got corrupted in the first place, but suspect it was from loading of another theme (only tried the orange and vodafone themes).
This forum is definitely the holy land for BB users.
Moderator, please feel free to close/eliminate this thread.
So how did you fix it? I have the same problem. I uninstalled the other themes and reverted back to the "default" one. My calculator is still "messed-up" - 2 button images superimposed to one, etc.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

When it happened to me, and it only seems to affect the calculator, I had to backup the BB, use the security wipe, reinstall the handheld software and finally do a restore from the backup that I started the process with, it did the trick, previous to that nothing I did worked at all.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 09-03-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
AlohaDan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: verizon wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
When it happened to me, and it only seems to affect the calculator, I had to backup the BB, use the security wipe, reinstall the handheld software and finally do a restore from the backup that I started the process with, it did the trick, previous to that nothing I did worked at all.
Thanks for the response. Just so I understand, is this the only way to "hard reset" a bb 7250 (i.e. start from scratch)? In reinstalling the bb handheld software from the desktop manager, won't it just override the existing apps and extraneous files will still be there? or will it entirely clear configuration files, etc. Sorry for the newbie question but I came from the pc/palm os world where a "hard reset" means total wipe.

Aloha
Old 09-03-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Again First step is to do a backup via desktop manager this way when you wipe (which cleans yuor BB to original status, all files gone), then after you reinstall the handheld software you do a restore which gets you back all those extraneous files. So you should be at the same level you were before. Total wipe is more than hard reset. Hard reset is like a cold boot on a computer you do a hard reset by removing the battery and keeping it off for a few minutes giving the BB time to reset. A cold reset is like a control alt delete reboot in a PC and you do it on the BB the same way(alt-the half moon, control-the caps key, and delete -the return key). A wipe will clear data from a BB not software so what every piece of software you had in it will still be there, when you do a restore what you are doing is restoring data to software that it finds on the BB. If you however deleted software, when the BB restores of course it wont find the appropriate software and therefore not restore data.

A long story short: 1) backup first, 2)security wipe, 3) reload handheld software, 4) restore from backup in step 1, and voila you are as good as new with a working calculator.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Closed Thread