Qw3rty
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default How Do You Upgrade 10 devices at once with BES 4.1

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,
Anyone know how to upgrade 10 devices at once? I've got about 10 Verizon 8830's that I need to put the latest maintenance release (OS) on. I wanted to do this all at one time.

I keep reading about the "hand held configuration tool" Where is it? I don't see it listed on my BES. I'm running xBES 4.1.4

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Here were My thoughts:
1) Plug in my 10 port USB hub and plug it into the USB port on my BES Server.
2) Download and install the 8830 OS onto my BES (Need options here dont want to mess with production BES can I install Blackberry manager on another computer)
3) Use this mysterious hand held configuration tool the only thing I see on my BES is "Local Port (Device Management)" twoards the bottom I'm assuming that this is wthe hand held configuration tool.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Currently, there is no way to do what you are trying to do.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
scott_perry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint, Alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qw3rty View Post
2) Download and install the 8830 OS onto my BES (Need options here dont want to mess with production BES can I install Blackberry manager on another computer)
You have to load the application files onto your BES and index them so you can see them in BB Manager - which can be installed on a different computer.

Check out this article on how to load applications from the BES - the same procedure applies to OS upgrades. You will need to create a software configuration for the OS.

BlackBerry Search Results

Then, using the USB cable, plug the device you want to upgrade into the computer running BB Manager. Go into BB Manager and click on Local Ports. You should see the device. Right click on the device and you will get a menu of what you can do.

Caution: I'm not sure if you can do a straight upgrade or if you will need to do a fresh install of the OS on the handheld - which would require reactivation. You will definitely want to test with a spare device and not your users' devices.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Qw3rty

Actually there is a way. What you can do is launch Blackberry Manager
under the Local Ports (Device Management) you see the COM ports listed in the right section. Once you click on that device or com port you get your options. The first two is what I'm looking for. 1) Load Hand Held 2) Load Hand Held Interactive.

The trick is getting Blackberry manager installed on a PC other than my production BES and plug in my USB hub all the ports should become available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murpheous View Post
Currently, there is no way to do what you are trying to do.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
scott_perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qw3rty View Post

The trick is getting Blackberry manager installed on a PC other than my production BES and plug in my USB hub all the ports should become available.
If you have the full BES install files, you just use those. There's an option to load just the BB manager.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
Qw3rty

Thanks,
Does the indexing work for the OS as well. Reading that article it looks like it applies to 3rd party apps like DST or some other app. I need to load the entire OS. I'm wondering if I have to index the OS or just install it on my Blackberry manager PC. I'll have to play with this and figure it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_perry View Post
You have to load the application files onto your BES and index them so you can see them in BB Manager - which can be installed on a different computer.

Check out this article on how to load applications from the BES - the same procedure applies to OS upgrades. You will need to create a software configuration for the OS.

BlackBerry Search Results

Then, using the USB cable, plug the device you want to upgrade into the computer running BB Manager. Go into BB Manager and click on Local Ports. You should see the device. Right click on the device and you will get a menu of what you can do.

Caution: I'm not sure if you can do a straight upgrade or if you will need to do a fresh install of the OS on the handheld - which would require reactivation. You will definitely want to test with a spare device and not your users' devices.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
scott_perry

Yes - you index the OS files just like the Application files. You put the files in a folder called "Loader Files" instead of in the "Applications" folder. I have each different OS in a separate folder underneath that folder.

So, you need to create this folder: "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files," extract your OS files into it, re-index so the software is aware of it. Then go into BB Manager and create an application package and install on the Handheld.

Definitely test this before working on your users' devices.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Personally I believe its safer to install the handheld OS on your PC and update handhelds from there. You don't need BB Manager, the BlackBerry Desktop Manager will work just fine.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by d_fisher; 02-12-2008 at 04:52 PM..
Closed Thread