Old 10-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
terces
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: US Cellular
Default Howto Tranfer Phone to New User

Please Login to Remove!

OK; recently took over IT roles for a company. Not familiar with Blackberry devices nor BES. I attempted to transfer a phone to a new user.

Key:
User A = Old User
User B = New User

What I did:

1) Did a factory reset on the BB device.
2) Deleted User A from BES
2) Connected device to BES via USB calbe
3) Did the File System Wipe from Device Managment (just in case)
4) Created User B in BES
5) Assigned device to User B
6) Confirmed that the correct mailbox is shown for User B (it is in BES)

Problem: User B received some of his mail the first few days and then started receiving User A's mail. It's hard to tell (since User B deleted the messages) if User B was receiving User A's mail the entire time. Now User B receives only User A's mail and none of his own. If I use MFCMAPI, User A no longer shows the blackberryhandheldinfo but User B now does... at it should. If I view User B's mail supposedly residing on his Blackberry via MFCMAPI I see only User B's mail... as I should. If I go to User B's physical device... I only see User A's mail.

Any ideas!?

I wouldn't mind neither troubleshooting what I already have done nor would I mind starting over if someone would be able to give me the correct steps.

Thanks! I will pay if requested.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
terces

Default More Info

Another strange thing I encountered... and maybe it is not strange... is that under Advanced Options, Enterprise Activation is no longer present. Is this gone because I have already activated via the USB cable?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I don't usually activate devices via USB since it's not necessary with BES 4.0 and higher.

What I would have done is this:

1. Remove user A from BES
2. Perform security wipe on BlackBerry device
3. Add user B to BES
4. Set activation password for user B on BES
5. Perform Enterprise Activation for user B on the BlackBerry device

It really should be that simple.

What version of BES do you have, and what environment (Exchange, Groupwise, Lotus Notes)?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
terces

Will try that now.

BES: 4.1.4.15
Exchange: 2003 on SBS Standard
Old 10-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

I agree with Juwaack68! That should work.

Also, did user A have any personal accounts via BIS associated to the device? If so, those email accounts will still forward messages to the device until removed.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
terces

Default Backup

Is there anything I can do to backup the address book; from what I understand they had to bring the phone in to the provider to restore the contacts on the last security-wipe.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
terces

BIS... that's the service where the have an address like username[at]blackberry.net or something to that affect... correct?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

You can use the backup/restore feature in Desktop Manager. That will backup the Calendar, contacts, messages, settings, etc.

Yes, that would be a BIS account. You can also setup, Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, Hotmail, etc. accounts there too.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
terces

Is there a way to backup the contacts via BES? The user does not have Desktop Manager installed.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
terces

The original problem was that I could not activate wirelessly... I had to have the device hooked up via USB... otherwise it would just sit on Activating...

Looks like I am having the same problem still (did not do a security wipe yet, until I backup the contacts but did do every other step).
Old 10-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by terces View Post
Is there a way to backup the contacts via BES? The user does not have Desktop Manager installed.
This information gets stored in Exchange for BES users. No need to do a manual backup (other than checking it resides in their Outlook account first).
Old 10-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
The original problem was that I could not activate wirelessly... I had to have the device hooked up via USB... otherwise it would just sit on Activating...

Looks like I am having the same problem still (did not do a security wipe yet, until I backup the contacts but did do every other step).
Did this device work fine for the original user? Did anything change when you gave it to the new user?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
terces

Re-reading juwaack68's steps... that's EXACTLY what I did... but the wireless sync would not sync so that's when I had the great idea to hook up the device via USB. Is there anything special we need to do at the provider level (US Cellular) since we are changing users? I know they already have the phone # changed so I would expect that they did everything they needed to do. Is there anything else I need to be aware of?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #14
terces

The device worked fine for the old user... no changes in hardware.

Even when I did get this device somewhat assigned to the new user... it would only grab email and on other PIM info.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #15
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
I know they already have the phone # changed so I would expect that they did everything they needed to do.
AHA. Do not assume the carrier changed the number properly. The device might be provisioned only for BIS email and not BES. This is one thing that would cause the device not to activate.

If it were me, I would first contact the carrier and verify that the phone number that got moved does indeed have the an Enterprise BlackBerry Data plan.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #16
terces

Since this user was a Razr user before and likely never had his contacts in Exchange I doubt that they ever synced from the BB to the BES... from what I know the provider manually transferred the address book from the Razr to the BB and I don't know if that's possible again since I do not know where the Razr is. I would definitely want to make sure that the Address Book is backed up; looks like I'll have to install the Desktop Manager?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #17
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Since this user was a Razr user before and likely never had his contacts in Exchange I doubt that they ever synced from the BB to the BES... from what I know the provider manually transferred the address book from the Razr to the BB and I don't know if that's possible again since I do not know where the Razr is. I would definitely want to make sure that the Address Book is backed up; looks like I'll have to install the Desktop Manager?
You can't use Desktop Manager to backup a Razr. If the carrier can't do it, then I'd tell the user to manually enter the contacts into Outlook - which will sync with the BlackBerry once it is activated.

If they had a Razr before, I'm betting the carrier didn't put the correct data plan on their line for the BlackBerry.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
terces

Very well; I will be going down with the office manager to US Cellular this afternoon to check on things. Thanks for your help; I will report back.

Curious though how this user received SOME of his email and that he receives all of the old users email still?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #19
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

The old user's email was probably via their BIS account - which is tied to the PIN of the device. So even if the device was given to someone else, until the old user updates their BIS account (online) to remove the PIN, the old mail will still go to the device.

Make sense?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #20
terces

I'm getting more and more positive that User A had BIS because otherwise I wouldn't be just getting new messages but would instead see his entire Exchange mailbox.

Unfortunately... I have no idea how this system was setup and I am starting to wonder if any of the three users in BEM are actually utilizing BEM... Are there different levels of BEM... I think I read something about the full blown server package and then another option of $25/month for MDS... can someone elaborate on this? I am just trying to figure out what they have been doing this entire time cause there is another user in the company that has a BB and isn't even registered in BES... so I'm highly confused and unfortunately no one in the company knows any better; lol.
Closed Thread