Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
Lowtrac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Error pushing IT policy to 7290's running HK 4.0

Please Login to Remove!

I have two of 26 users running HK 4.0 on 7290's. In the Blackberry Manager the IT Policy Status says "Error". Everyone else is OK. The event viewer just has "RequestHandler::HandleITADMINDataCommand - ITPolicy Fail Ack for the command SET_IT_POLICY_COMMAND - Processing packet, Tag=7916255"

Any ideas?

James
Old 02-04-2005, 01:49 PM   #2
jsdc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: O2 UK

I had this when I migrated to BES 4 on about 3 devices out of 30.

I spoke to my provider who spoke to RIM who told me to return the units.

However... after much scratching of heads...

Go to options, security and select "wipe handheld"..

Remove the user from the BES manager and add them back again.

Then push all the data back to the device using Enterprise Activation.

They then sprang back into life and began applying the correct IT Policy.

Obviously you will lose some settings on the devices but it worked for me on... 1 x 7290, 1 x 7230 and 1 x 7100x.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
Lowtrac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

That also worked for me. I tried it and it worked, but I didn't post a followup. Thanks for the response.

James
Old 03-04-2005, 11:28 PM   #4
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Policy Error help!

I am having the same trouble as talked about on this thread... There has to be a better answer than "delete the BES user and wipe the device!" I'll do this as a last ditched effort, but there has to be a better way!

One thing I have learned is the Enterprise activation for Tasks, Address Books and Notepad works 100% charmingly, however initializing the wireless calendar has a lot to be desired. Personally the way we deploy bb devices is we choose keep ALL calendar events on the device (forever). Notice you can only transfer 350 (assuming you raise the initial transfer parameter on BES to 350) emails and calendar entries. This presents an interesting quandary around re-importing calendar events without causing wireless calendar problems.

Should I wipe the device to clear the policy problem and then import all calendar entries and reactivate wireless calendar?

this is so painful... thoughts, anyone?
Old 03-05-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
sddroog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone NL
Default Re: Policy Error help!

I had the same problem with 1 of my users. Wipe device and reactivate was the solution. All other attempts to fix this failed.

This user lost all his settings. Isn't that supposed to be backupped with the BES 4.0 OTA backup functionality? And restored with a new activation?

BTW, this used got reactivated when I upgraded from BES 3.6SP4 to BES 4, but before hotfix 1 was applied. All other users where reactivated after applying HF1 and HF2.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

YUP! We can caulk this up to more bad RIM code, can anyone say Hotfix 3? Perhaps if RIM actually started a real QA process half of us wouldn't have to play scientists with this stuff and lets not forget about their lousy (at best) documentation.

So, I have started the painful wipe and reactivation process. I'll repost on how the restoration of the full calendar faired. The particular inbox I am trying this on currently has 4322 calendar entries. Funny how this same inbox has 2140 address book entries and all things considered it doesn’t take to long for that to wirelessly sync.

Here’s a facetious question... So if its wireless everything, why in the world must one item in Intellisysnc be selected on the BBDesktop Client? …or better yet, why isn't the CALENDAR on the PIM Sync tab in BES 4.0 Server Manager under user properties?

For all you programming types out there; one more classic point to note, the resend policy every hour parameter uses a max integer of 65535, so why doesn't the number of Pre-Population email objects carry the same theme verses a 350 max integer number. What is this more Bangalore code? LOL

Hey RIM catch a clue!

"He who has not first laid his foundations, may with great ability, lay them afterwards, but they will be laid with trouble to the architect and a danger to the building."
-=* Machiavelli *=-
Old 03-05-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Here is the outcome of this menagerie!
Acronym for this post (ABAB = All Bad and All Broke).

As discussed above the policy error does go away following the procedure posted above. As far as the restoration of a full calendar, it can be done by disabling the wireless calendar option under calendar options on your handheld. Once you do this you can do an IMPORT via IntelliSync using "MS OUTLOOK" (NOT "Blackberry Wireless Calendar") calendar to the handheld. This will restore all entries; once the process if finish close out of BB Desktop. I found this process did create a few duplicate calendar entries which I needed to go back and manually delete once I re-enabled the wireless calendar function.

Here is where it is ABAB. I always, I religiously backup ALL of my device data via the BBDesktop interface before doing any OS or program changes. After the wipe and re-activation I lost: my Password Keeper entries, Password Keeper options, task options and calendar options. Let's just sum it up as all options are gone and of course my Saves Messages are gone! This was expected...

What was NOT expected... I can NOT restore the missing options or entries using the ADVANCED button in the Backup and Restore utility. Prior versions BES 4.0 using the same IT Policy allowed me to do this! My next attempt is going to try the RESTORE (not selective restore like in ADVANCED) to bring back these settings.

What am I missing here? ...anyone?

"He who has not first laid his foundations, may with great ability, lay them afterwards, but they will be laid with trouble to the architect and a danger to the building."
-=* Machiavelli *=-
Old 03-05-2005, 01:03 PM   #8
sddroog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgman
What was NOT expected... I can NOT restore the missing options or entries using the ADVANCED button in the Backup and Restore utility.
Exactly the same thing was reported by my user who had to wipe his BB because of this problem... hmmm... Maybe I should have taken him more seriously
Old 03-05-2005, 01:27 PM   #9
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

By the way I tried just the restore process WITHOUT advanced seleted, and it DID NOT restore the options, password, Profiles, etc...

This SUXS

-=* Machiavelli *=-
Old 03-05-2005, 08:16 PM   #10
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default THE FIX

In an effort to save other people pain and misery, here is the fix I’ve come up with to resolve this issue. I can’t help feeling that I shouldn’t be documenting procedures for RIM, so RIM catch a clue ..|..

If for some reason you don’t understand this procedure feel free to PM me. This procedure was performed on a T-Mobile 7100t device with success. Feel free to disagree with my procedure but it worked for me, so no comments from the peanut gallery. OK!

Before we start I am going to assume that you have taken a full backup with IntelliSync (a.k.a. backup utility) before starting the WIPE DEVICE and REACTIVATED procedure shown about. If you didn’t take a backup, shame on you and you’ll need to use an older backup image. This procedure will restore: Phone Logs, Messages, Password Keeper entries, Profiles, etc.

Here we go…

1. Execute the Wipe Handheld procedure as mentioned above. Once complete DO NOT reactivate the handheld!
2. Unplug your workstation with BlackBerry Desktop from the LAN and Turn OFF your device’s radio.
3. Start the BlackBerry Desktop 4.0 Client on the workstation that is unplugged from your LAN.
4. Use the Application Loader to completely ERASE the device. This should include uninstalling: English UK Language Support, BlackBerry Attachment Service, Brick Breaker, WTLS Security Package, SSL/TLS Security Package, JavaScript Package, DOD Root Certificates, Help, Memo Pad, Password Keeper, Phone, Tasks, and any other third party installation programs you had installed.
5. At the next screen choose to Erase all User and Application Data and start the process.
6. Once this process completes your device should only have a basic OS installed on it.
7. Now start the Application loader process again and add back the other option OS modules: English UK Language Support, BlackBerry Attachment Service, Brick Breaker, WTLS Security Package, SSL/TLS Security Package, JavaScript Package, DOD Root Certificates, Help, Memo Pad, Password Keeper, Phone, and Tasks. (NO THIRD PARTY APPS, YET)
8. Once the OS has been rebuilt, use the backup utility’s ADVANCED feature to provide a selective restore of the backup you took before applying the WIPE HANDHELD and REACTIVATE Process.
9. For my specific case, I restored my Profiles, Password Keeper entries, Calendar entries, Phone Logs, Browser Bookmarks, AutoText entries, etc. [Word to the wise, DO NOT restore Service Books, Policies, and/or other OS based items, this will yield a ABAB result!] [see above for ABAB definition]
10. Once selected entry items have been restored, close BlackBerry Desktop 4.0 and reconnect it to you LAN.
11. Re-create the user account on BES 4.0. Make sure you have generated an activation password.
12. Open Outlook and check for the new activation password or look on the user properties tab on the BlackBerry Server Manager.
13. Turn on the radio and get some radio signal…
14. Enter in associated email address and newly generated activation password.
15. Activation should begin promptly, unless of course you lost signal.
16. This is the gremlin step and it happened to me… if your device hangs during the activation at a certain percent (i.e. 33%) DO NOT cancel activation, but POWER OFF the device. Once off re-power ON device. Activation will continue!
17. Once activation is complete, open the BlackBerry Desktop 4.0 Client and do a Backup of your device. Make sure you save it under a different name than the original backup you started with.
18. Once complete close out of BlackBerry Desktop
19. Go to calendar options on your device and see if the total number of items matches your missing item count. If so turn ON enable the wireless calendar option on your device.
20. Go back to the BlackBerry Desktop 4.0 Client and reinstall third party applications or you can do this through the server using OTA.

...OTA should be successful assuming you don’t hit anymore stellar RIM code!

-=* Machiavelli *=-
Old 03-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #11
cschmit

I have tried everyones response here with no luck. Even called RIM and spent 3 1/2hrs on the phone with them. The onlything I can do now is RMA the unit for a new one. RIM has no idea what the issue is and had me try everthing under the sun to try and fix this. Oh well..
Old 03-16-2005, 03:05 PM   #12
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmit
I have tried everyones response here with no luck. Even called RIM and spent 3 1/2hrs on the phone with them. The onlything I can do now is RMA the unit for a new one. RIM has no idea what the issue is and had me try everthing under the sun to try and fix this. Oh well..
As an all american hacker... I equate that to more BAD BANGLORE CODE!!!! RIM CATCH A CLUE!

I am suprised the procedure I outlined didnt work for you... Sorry!
Work well for me...

-=* Machiavelli *=-
Old 03-16-2005, 03:08 PM   #13
cschmit

Quote:
As an all american hacker... I equate that to more BAD BANGLORE CODE!!!! RIM CATCH A CLUE!

I am suprised the procedure I outlined didnt work for you... Sorry!
Work well for me...
Hehehe Nothing to be sorry about.. you didn't write the code
Old 03-17-2005, 05:50 PM   #14
dgman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmit
Hehehe Nothing to be sorry about.. you didn't write the code
Thank man... If I did, it would have been properly regression tested.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:09 PM   #15
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Thank man... If I did, it would have been properly regression tested.
to be fair to QA departments, in addition to executive decisions to service the needy consumers/customers, you can only test so many different scenarios. now, the issue is not likely with the coding (trust me, you couldn't do any better yourself... no offense), but rather with quality analysis of support issues and the reporting of issues and bugs to development.

recently i got brushed off on 2 issues with RIM that i opened tickets for. only after i reopened a new issue have i reached someone who knows what they are talking about and is actually quite helpful in resolving the issue (in addition to focusing on the other two issues i have as well).