BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 05:35 PM   #1
rieger

Default Global Deployment

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

We've recently entered in the world of Blackberry through the actions of over zealous executives and now have 2 BESes sitting on Domino servers. One in our US office (using Tmobile as the carrier) and the other in Aus (using Vodafone aka Verizon as the carrier).

My question is... is there any oportunity for redundancy in this configuration? I'm assuming not, given that each BES has been setup independantly of the other. Can someone also explain to me how a multiple BES environment works? I'm little unclear on this from the doco. My confusion primarily lies around the carrier side of things.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:13 PM   #2
arconsulting
Thumbs Must Hurt

>> My confusion primarily lies around the carrier side of things.

The BES is carrier agnostic.

>> is there any oportunity for redundancy in this configuration?

A typical approach to BES redundancy involves a 2nd BES server sitting next to the primary. The secondary machine is running but the BlackBerry services are turned off. When the primary fails, the services on the secondary are turned on. With Domino, you would also replicate some of the databases.

Where are your Domino server(s)?
BlackBerry consulting and development (RIM SI Partner)
Old 03-18-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

If you use any type of monitoring package, you could probably automate the failover pretty easily. We have a series of scripts, that in an emergency, will automatically start up the BES services on the backup machine and make sure the primary machine doesn't come back online while the backup is in operation.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:18 AM   #4
rieger

At the moment I have a BES sitting on a Domino server in Denver servicing a bunch of Denver based users and a completely separate BES in Brisbane sitting on a Domino server servicing a separate bunch of users. Something is obviously going to need to be reconfigured to get any kind of redundancy out of this.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to re-route BES traffic from Brisbane to Denver (and vice versa) in the event of a major Internet outage. Also I'd like to be able to move users between Brisbane and Denver in the event of a disaster at either site.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-22-2005, 09:02 AM   #5
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

why not just mirror the server between the two data centers? Leave the service turned off on the backup server in Brisbane and use an off-site DNS. When site A goes down, change the DNS record to site B, bring the service up on the backup location and you should be ready (if DNS propogates quick enough)
Old 03-22-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
rieger

Given the network infrastructure between the two sites, this isn't really an option but thanks for the suggestion
Closed Thread