Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
terry_graham
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cellplus, Mauritius
Default Test database connection returned an unknown error

Please Login to Remove!

Hello folks, I am trying to install BES 4.1 on my SBS 2003 exchange server. After rebooting the server, required by BES setup, I had the error 'unable to connect to database'.

My SBS server runs almost on default settings, I ran svrnetcn and when reading on some forums, I made sure named pipes and tcp/ip are enabled protocols. But there are only 2 instances: servername\sbsmonitoring and servername\sharepoint.

Do i need top enable named pipes and tcp protocols for both of them? currently only sbsmonitoring instance has named pipes & tcp are enabled.

I don't have any clue where I shall proceed. BES Setup is not yet completed, although if i close it, it still brings me back to the database window, so that it can complete its installation.

Services on the server are BlackBerry Alert, Attachment, Controller, database, dispatcher, mds, policy, router and sync. All are on MANUAL mode and not yet started,

I would appreciate if you could please help in providing me steps on how i can finish its installation.

Thanks, Terry
Old 02-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Darth Vader

Do you have Win2003 Sp1 installed? The database connection uses MDAC components... maybe there is something wrong with that. Applying Sp1 upgrades them and may resolve it :S
Old 02-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #3
trancemaasta
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Optus Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_graham
Hello folks, I am trying to install BES 4.1 on my SBS 2003 exchange server. After rebooting the server, required by BES setup, I had the error 'unable to connect to database'.

My SBS server runs almost on default settings, I ran svrnetcn and when reading on some forums, I made sure named pipes and tcp/ip are enabled protocols. But there are only 2 instances: servername\sbsmonitoring and servername\sharepoint.

Do i need top enable named pipes and tcp protocols for both of them? currently only sbsmonitoring instance has named pipes & tcp are enabled.

I don't have any clue where I shall proceed. BES Setup is not yet completed, although if i close it, it still brings me back to the database window, so that it can complete its installation.

Services on the server are BlackBerry Alert, Attachment, Controller, database, dispatcher, mds, policy, router and sync. All are on MANUAL mode and not yet started,

I would appreciate if you could please help in providing me steps on how i can finish its installation.

Thanks, Terry
You will have to create another instance as you are running sp. At present you dont have a database running for the BES to connect to . use the msde setup program with an sa password and instance name to create. make sure the besadmin is a domain admin and that you are installing it under that service account.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
terry_graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy
Do you have Win2003 Sp1 installed? The database connection uses MDAC components... maybe there is something wrong with that. Applying Sp1 upgrades them and may resolve it :S
Yes, I have SP1 installed.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:21 PM   #5
terry_graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancemaasta
You will have to create another instance as you are running sp. At present you dont have a database running for the BES to connect to . use the msde setup program with an sa password and instance name to create. make sure the besadmin is a domain admin and that you are installing it under that service account.
Thanks for your help, but as I am running a small business and not super knowledgeable, perhaps would you help me with the msde setup. I can't find it, not in Windows Components add/remove programs, not in admin tools either. For your information, there is nevertheless sqlserver running as a process in Task Manager.

For besadmin, do i need to create it now? or after the database connection?

Thanks a lot.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:00 AM   #6
trancemaasta
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_graham
Thanks for your help, but as I am running a small business and not super knowledgeable, perhaps would you help me with the msde setup. I can't find it, not in Windows Components add/remove programs, not in admin tools either. For your information, there is nevertheless sqlserver running as a process in Task Manager.

For besadmin, do i need to create it now? or after the database connection?

Thanks a lot.
i will on monday
Old 02-12-2007, 03:12 AM   #7
lkted

Model: 7230
PIN: n/a
Carrier: 3

you can using osql command for testing the database access locally and using telnet command for testing whether the SQL port 1433 is available or not.

if using MS SQL server 2000, pls ensure the SQL sp4 is installed.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
terry_graham

Thanks for your help, in fact, i had to install sql again. All is running but activation is taking ages, it's been taking nearly 2 hours.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:28 AM   #9
trancemaasta
Thumbs Must Hurt

Activation taking 2 hours ???

At what does it say on the device screen?
Old 02-17-2007, 02:18 AM   #10
terry_graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancemaasta
Activation taking 2 hours ???

At what does it say on the device screen?
It said 'connected to desktop' for a whole night. I had to hard reset it by remove battery. It's been resolved now, thanks for all your help, guys.

Terry
Closed Thread