Old 07-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Tobias33

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default BB Apps without intenet access

Please Login to Remove!

Hello!
I tried searching both the web and a couple of message boards specifically, but haven't been able to find a clear answer...if there is one I just haven't found, please let me know where I might find it!
Long story short: my girlfriend and i both go through Telus for our phones, and want to switch to a couples plan to save some money. Looking at the options, I found that I could upgrade to a BB Pearl 8130 (currently on a simple LG mobile), which would be helpful to me for the organizing applications. Telus requires that you sign up for a data plan, of course, and I can get a 'bare bones' plan for $15 that will save me as much compared to my current cell phone bill. Adding a plan with internet access wouldn't save me anything, and defeats our purpose.

So. That plan includes email and IM, but no internet access. (More specifically, you can access the 'net at $8/MB, but it's not included in the plan and would rack up pretty quickly).
I have no need for web browsing, and although apps like Google Maps and a weather thing would be helpful, I can do without. But what about other 3rd party apps (like JabpLite, which is budgeting software, or apps that allow you to edit MS Office files) that don't really need to access the internet?

I asked a Telus rep, and he was adamant that *all* applications access the internet, and I'd be charged for them per use. Something similar is also stated on their website. But I find it a bit odd that an app that basically amounts to an Excell spreadsheet needs internet access to work...am I missing something?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
PaulNguyen

Model: 8310
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

I too am seeking similiar answers.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Tobias33

Model: 8130
Carrier: Telus

Since posting, i've done some more looking around; there's a lot of talk on how to use a map app offline, so it looks like it's possible...but what about other apps? I don't want to start using something I think is going to work, only to get hit with a large bill at the end of the month...anyone?
Old 07-26-2009, 02:34 AM   #4
omerremo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: no BIS ni BES

not all apps need internet access, some of them just use it for registration and that just ones, during the first use, for example: DocumentsToGo
Old 07-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Right. Not all apps use data. As far as I know there aren't any map apps that don't require data. If it require huge amounts of memory in order to store all the info necessary to run the map app.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
nasirahmed

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone

I need some map applications.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

BB maps or Google Maps both work well.
Closed Thread