BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 03:46 AM   #41
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Please Login to Remove!

2 weeks with my most recent Curve, and not a spec of Dust so far! Hopefully it stays this way.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #42
Norseman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Well I thought I lucked out because I have had no dust under mine. I've had it about 3 weeks now. Today I'm looking at pics (and getting upset because I noticed the ones I took the day I got the Curve were far superior to the ones from 3 days later to now) and I notice a lot of dust under the right side!! So has anybody heard if these will be replaced/repaired under warranty? I really would rather not have to deal with getting a new one.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #43
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
2 weeks with my most recent Curve, and not a spec of Dust so far! Hopefully it stays this way.

We are all so glad to hear this! Again.

I am on my 3rd and there is dust in two weeks.

It has not been fixed.

My favorite comment is the poster who just got his replacement 8300 and swears it weighs more than the original!

Last edited by greggebhardt; 08-06-2007 at 02:35 PM..
Old 08-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #44
Norseman
Thumbs Must Hurt

LOL!

Well ...my replacement is on its way ...so ...I'll way mine on a little scale and post the results.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #45
mishycupcakes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Does anyone know if RIM / AT&T actually plans on making more sturdy, dust-free Curves?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #46
northerner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: ifone

my Curve arrives tomorrow... all this talk about dust (seems like 90% plus of posters are having issues) makes me question whether I should return right away and get an 8800! i have 30 days to try out the 8300... so i'll probably give it a shot for a couple of weeks... i plan on pocketing my 8300 without a case - since that's how i will be using it (i hate cases/holsters/skins) so that should be a true test... doesn't make me feel any better reading all these dust horror stories...

is the 8800 completely immune to dust underneath the screen cover??? if so might order one right away from premier so can try both at the same time.

cheers
Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #47
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Northener:

Could be that this is a common problem - but I'm not convinced yet. The "90%" that you're observing is probably a bit misleading. Could be that it's 90% of the people who look at this thread title and take an active interest, and that could be primarily people who have a dust problem, skewing the stats somewhat.

I've had a curve for many weeks now, using it extensively every day, and I know at dozen other colleagues who are also using curves over about the same time frame. None of them have reported a dust problem yet (and most aren't as careful with their curve as I tend to be with my mobile equipment).
Old 08-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #48
northerner

Model: ifone

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
Northener:

Could be that this is a common problem - but I'm not convinced yet. The "90%" that you're observing is probably a bit misleading. Could be that it's 90% of the people who look at this thread title and take an active interest, and that could be primarily people who have a dust problem, skewing the stats somewhat.
Yes - could very well be skewed data. Most likely is - or at least I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
I've had a curve for many weeks now, using it extensively every day, and I know at dozen other colleagues who are also using curves over about the same time frame. None of them have reported a dust problem yet (and most aren't as careful with their curve as I tend to be with my mobile equipment).

This is more encouraging. I'm definitely willing to try it out. Will be giving it the acid test for sure. Will try it out in different pockets and see how well it fares against dreaded dust. No pocket will be left unexplored!

cheers
Old 08-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #49
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerner View Post
Yes - could very well be skewed data. Most likely is - or at least I hope.

This is more encouraging. I'm definitely willing to try it out. Will be giving it the acid test for sure. Will try it out in different pockets and see how well it fares against dreaded dust. No pocket will be left unexplored!
I have to admit to being a fanatic about things like dust under a screen, tiny scratches on devices, etc. I know it's impractical, and that "things" that are used eventually show wear. But I like to keep nice looking gadgets like this as new looking as possible as long as possible.

Anyway - with many weeks of heavy daily use, in and out of pockets and the OEM leather case alternately, my Curve still looks showroom new. No dust, no scratches, no dings.

Also not too worried: if I *did* experience dust under the "crystal", I'd probably follow the video posted (here or on another forum, don't recall - actually just the link, I think, to YouTube) that shows you how to dissamble the Curve in just a few minutes. Should be very easy to do that, clean it out, and reassemble - and I imagine it should be possible - if necessary - to lay in a short length of some kind of rubbery gasket around the perimeter when you reassemble it, to prevent any further incursion of dust. I don't anticipate, personally, needing to do this, as mine seems great so far (knock on wood!) - but I'm prepared to if the situation calls for it.

My suggestion: go for it, and keep your fingers crossed. I suspect the dust problem is *not* prevalent among Curve owners overall.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:12 AM   #50
muck
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: optus

my 1 week old curve is collecting dust under the screen.

my pearl has dust under its screen.

and much as i love my blackberries. quality wise, they really suck arse.
theres paper between the simcard and battery in my pearl..
theres paper wedged in the right side of my curve to stop the squeeking...

its something ive come to expect from RIM..........
heres to pushing on to 9xxx berries :D
Old 08-07-2007, 05:50 AM   #51
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishycupcakes View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Does anyone know if RIM / AT&T actually plans on making more sturdy, dust-free Curves?
The parts of the 8300 curve were made months and months ago. When they do a production run of these devices, they make them by the hundreds of thousands. It is more likely a assembly problem, maybe a gasket not being in the right place.

Redesign of a part and getting it into production is not easy and done in a few weeks.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:09 AM   #52
GoFrogs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&Tingular

Had my Curve for 6 weeks+ and have had it in pockets, golf bags, etc.. every day since I bought it. No sign of dust (and no loose pieces or squeeking). In light of that, I would have to say it is less of a design issue and more of a manufacturing issue. If you get dust in the first 30 days, return it and get another one. By far the best BB yet.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #53
mishycupcakes
Thumbs Must Hurt

I went into the AT&T store today, and the guy there who supposedly knows the most about Blackberries said I was the first person to bring up the screen / dust issue... if that makes anyone feel better. (myself included)
Old 08-08-2007, 01:27 AM   #54
kalikidtx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

had this one since about week 3 after the release, a ton of dust, like the upper right whole quarter has some dust, ist so annoying, BUT that being said, there are much worse problems to have or other quality issues (loose right side, etc) thats I have learned to deal with it. Our 8700c also got some dust, and the 7130c and 8100Red are dust free, but the 8300 rocks so I deal.....
Old 08-08-2007, 07:06 AM   #55
Norseman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Mine old one looks just as you describe with the dust in the upper right quadrant of the display, kalikidtx.

I just received my replacement and I see no dust at all under the screen. I'm going to keep my eye on it though. Especially because the left side has some very minor movement to it - the original has no play.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:19 AM   #56
jsaradhi

Model: curve

i had dust in mine just after two weeks of careful use without the case...and i am getting my replacement today...hopefully the new one doesn't run into this problem.

when i took my curve to a local store and asked the rep abt this, she showed me her pearl and it had a lot of dust in it. she said its not uncommon to see dust under the screen for the blackberries.

so the new one i'm getting is goin to have a full body skin, so may be it wont catch dust under the screen...well, hopefully anyway!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #57
Norseman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Definitely keep us posted ; )
Old 08-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #58
mishycupcakes
Thumbs Must Hurt

One week and one day! No dust so far!

I was looking at the shell (if it's called that) at the AT&T store, and the right side was sealed MUCH less than my phone. I can still push down really hard and make it completely sealed while I'm pushing down, but if all the older versions were like the shell I saw earlier... then I could definitely see how dust or even chunks of dirt could get in there >_>
Old 08-08-2007, 03:48 PM   #59
TAG1976
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve

I just noticed dust in the upper right corner of my phone yesterday. Its been over a month and a half. It doesn't seem to effect the screen in anyway thank god.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #60
Norseman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Man ...I hope RIM fixes this because I'm the type that that dust will be a magnet to my eye. I don't wanna have to keep replacing/messing with this because of dust under the screen.
Closed Thread