MikeRizzo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Say it ain't so

My curve is on it's way

I had this problem on my razr a couple of years ago, however the SLVR that I have now has absolutley no dust in it, and I've had it over 10 months now.

Last edited by MikeRizzo; 09-07-2007 at 09:12 PM..
Old 09-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #102
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckworth View Post
Here is a picture of how bad must dust is now. I think I am at the point that I will have to take it apart and clean it out, as my case opening tools just arrived. I can't see going through the trouble of exchanging it at this point, as I have a feeling that will be a major headache.
Wow - that's really bad. I'd love to know what the difference is between units that take on lint and those that don't. After months of constant use, I still don't have a spec of dust - but I'm getting increasingly concerned about potentially doing something that will leave my device prone to dust as well.

Yours almost looks like the dust is infiltrating between the camera button and volume toggle. That's generally the part of the side rail that some people report is "floppy" and loose. I'm wondering if the looseness that some people experience lets the side rail flex inward, opening a small gap under the right edge of the front of the case and letting dust in. Still wondering why mine has NO dust problem after several months -- although I'm definitely not complaining!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 01:14 AM   #103
MikeRizzo

OK I did some googing and I found this, I don't know if you guys know about this or not but I guess it's a protective glass that's supposed to seal all the dust away:

8300 Screen Protector / BlackBerry 8300 Screen Protector / 8300 Screen Cover / BlackBerry 8300 Screen Cover / 8300 Screen Film - ClearTouch Anti-Glare

I think i'll order one, it's only $13...
Old 09-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #104
Holz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRizzo View Post
OK I did some googing and I found this, I don't know if you guys know about this or not but I guess it's a protective glass that's supposed to seal all the dust away:

8300 Screen Protector / BlackBerry 8300 Screen Protector / 8300 Screen Cover / BlackBerry 8300 Screen Cover / 8300 Screen Film - ClearTouch Anti-Glare

a bunch of us use those anyway... they protect the screen from scratches, but most of the dust comes in from the sides or back.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #105
MikeRizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holz View Post
a bunch of us use those anyway... they protect the screen from scratches, but most of the dust comes in from the sides or back.
Ah nvm then...

Does it actually do it's job? I have yet to order it...
Old 09-08-2007, 11:27 AM   #106
duckworth

Carrier: Att

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRizzo View Post
Just curious, why are people spending $13 dollars for a screen protector when you can just replace the whole screen lens for 4.99?

bb-8300-08 BlackBerry 8300 Curve OEM silver LCD lens- Sony, Dopod/O2, Acer, Samsung, Apple, Motorola, Tools, HTC, Nokia, Panasonic, Bl
Old 09-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #107
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Just curious, why are people spending $13 dollars for a screen protector when you can just replace the whole screen lens for 4.99?

bb-8300-08 BlackBerry 8300 Curve OEM silver LCD lens- Sony, Dopod/O2, Acer, Samsung, Apple, Motorola, Tools, HTC, Nokia, Panasonic, Bl

And will replacing the screen protect it from future dust? the device still must be sealed properly.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #108
duckworth

Carrier: Att

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
And will replacing the screen protect it from future dust? the device still must be sealed properly.
I would say yes. The new screen comes with a new seal, so you can take your time and make sure that it is sealed good. I would wager that I could be more meticulous and do a better job than an underpaid assembly line worker that did it incorrectly the first time.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #109
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:

4.99? Does the old come off frm the front, with th enew one stuck in from the front? Might be an easier way of doing a clean for five bucks.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #110
DavenWhit

Carrier: at&t

yep. i have dust under the screen on the top right corner.. i even tried to take the phone apart to get the dust out..it bothers me..i couldnt take it apart tho..any suggestions
Old 09-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #111
muck
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: optus

i replaced my 8300 with an 8310.
guess what guys?!
its exactly the same as my 8300 in construction. still a POS and looks like its going to attract dust again.
after carefully having a look at my 8300, and hellbent on keeping my 8310 dust free, ive taped along the right hand side of the screen and the plastic housing down to the rubber sides. so far so good, gone thru the a few days with no dust. my brand new phone looks like its a few years old now tho.
pretty pathetic but if it keeps the dust out, ill be a happy little smurf.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:31 PM   #112
b00st3d

Carrier: at&t

i must have gotten lucky...i got my curve when it first came out and i have no dust at all...of course it is in the bb leather pouch when not in use and i never put it in my pocket.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #113
Noctem
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T / CINGULAR

i have a tiny bit of dust, but i didnt notice any of it at all until i started reading threads about soo many people having dust in their units.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:58 PM   #114
nupi

Carrier: Rogers

I've had my curve for a bit over two weeks now and have dust issues as well. i am not sure the dust enters from the side rails. On mine it looks like it is entering from the perimeter of the lens. If i blow on the right side of the lens (where it meets the casing, i get condensation behind the lens. I air can get in from there, then certainly dust won't be too far behind.

I have also notice that the lens has a bit of play. If i push the right side down, it stays down for a while then comes back up, as if the adhesive is not strong enough.

The is my first BB, and this dust issue is very disappointing.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:17 AM   #115
muck

Carrier: optus

well my crude tape on the right hand side of the lens down to the side of the rubber seems to have stopped the dust entering the screen on my 8310, two weeks in and going strong.

having said that, its been taped the day i got it out of the box, im not really sure if its dustproof from factory, but it seems identical to my 8300 and im not risking it this time.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:18 AM   #116
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st3d View Post
i must have gotten lucky...i got my curve when it first came out and i have no dust at all...of course it is in the bb leather pouch when not in use and i never put it in my pocket.

I used the leather holster on all four of mine that had dust.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #117
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->

Guys, I thought you all were a bit on the crazy side, but i turns out I got the damn dust myself.. 1 week after getting my curve, some damn little dusts or particles went into the huge gap between the rollerball housing and screen, I wanted use a needle to fish them out, then decided not to..

But just today as I was waiting for the train, the sun was shining directly on my Curve, and guess what. I GOT A STAR FIELD Thank God it is not as bad as what's posted above, but the dust is there. And it looks like it is two layers of dust in addition to what I have on top of the screen. So when I look at an angle, I can see the top of the screen, somewhere between plastic and bottom layer, and another one between bottom layer and LCD.. How the heck did the dust get there..

Those who say that they don't have dust, please shine a powerful flashlight or something directly at your Curve and move it at an angle, you will be blown to see the starfield! It is star wars there, look closely, you may catch a glimps of your own deathstar..

How about If I swap this with 8800 or 8820? Do they attract same amount of dust!? I hate the fact that BB went cheap like this.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 PM   #118
cnlevo

Model: 8820
PIN: 241F202B

You have a shitty built curve unfortunately. The ones that have the "crick" on the right side have a bad dust problem...that's why when i sell a curve (i work for AT&T authorized dealer) i press the sides to make sure it doesn't do it and if it does...the box goes back to our supplier. Just a customer service, moral thing on my part.

I would do a warranty exchange or some type of exchange and keep doing it until you get one that doesn't do the click on the right.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:53 PM   #119
Vagrant Pistol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT (Crimson)
Quote:
Here is a picture of how bad must dust is now. I think I am at the point that I will have to take it apart and clean it out, as my case opening tools just arrived. I can't see going through the trouble of exchanging it at this point, as I have a feeling that will be a major headache.
Can you point me to where you bought the tools from.

thanx in advance.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:27 AM   #120
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnlevo View Post
You have a shitty built curve unfortunately. The ones that have the "crick" on the right side have a bad dust problem...that's why when i sell a curve (i work for AT&T authorized dealer) i press the sides to make sure it doesn't do it and if it does...the box goes back to our supplier. Just a customer service, moral thing on my part.

I would do a warranty exchange or some type of exchange and keep doing it until you get one that doesn't do the click on the right.
Uhhh, I did that and made sure my last Curve had ZERO movement on the right side where it meets the screen. Thought I was safe but in less than a week the screen had dust in it. Four Curves, all with dust, sorry but that tells me alot.

Those who say they do not have dust are either fibbing to themselves or need to check their eyesight. I have three friends with Curves and ALL have dust behind the screen!
Closed Thread