BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
jmandoman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T
Default Can you use/get phone calls while using Telenav?

Please Login to Remove!

I did a cursory search but couldn't find anything on this. Will I receive phone calls (8703e Sprint) while I have Telenav running?

I use Telenav mostly on long trips. If I have it providing me directions in the car and I get a phone call will I know? Can I take the call without losing the trip settings or will I have to restart Telenav after the call and hope I didn't miss a turn? Will Telenav tell me about an upcoming turn if I'm in a phone call?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
rickthornton
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmandoman View Post
I did a cursory search but couldn't find anything on this. Will I receive phone calls (8703e Sprint) while I have Telenav running?

I use Telenav mostly on long trips. If I have it providing me directions in the car and I get a phone call will I know? Can I take the call without losing the trip settings or will I have to restart Telenav after the call and hope I didn't miss a turn? Will Telenav tell me about an upcoming turn if I'm in a phone call?
My experience is based on an 8800 on Cingular, but I assume it will be the same for your set up.

You can still receive and make calls while Telenav is running. What I find is using the map display uses the most data and calls seems to be slow ringing when in this mode. In the "Turn Arrow" mode the data demand (and/or processor use) must be significantly less and is barely noticeable.

While on a call, you will no longer get voice directions from Telenav but it will continue to provide turn directions on the screen. I haven't ever tried to see if will re-route after missing a turn while on a phone call, but I assume that it won't.

Obviously, there is some compromise in having a converge device, however, all in all, it works pretty well for me. Last, unlike a standalone GPS, I always have my BB with me and therefore, always have my GPS.

As always, YMMV.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthornton View Post
My experience is based on an 8800 on Cingular, but I assume it will be the same for your set up.

You can still receive and make calls while Telenav is running. What I find is using the map display uses the most data and calls seems to be slow ringing when in this mode. In the "Turn Arrow" mode the data demand (and/or processor use) must be significantly less and is barely noticeable.

While on a call, you will no longer get voice directions from Telenav but it will continue to provide turn directions on the screen. I haven't ever tried to see if will re-route after missing a turn while on a phone call, but I assume that it won't.

Obviously, there is some compromise in having a converge device, however, all in all, it works pretty well for me. Last, unlike a standalone GPS, I always have my BB with me and therefore, always have my GPS.

As always, YMMV.
There are some changes in 5.1. Apparently it continues to run while on the call but it may impead your hearing of the conversation. Shortly time will tell.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
Chewy

Model: 8100
PIN: 204C0E24
Carrier: T-Mobile

i use to work for nextel/sprint and i was a heavy dealer for telenav. to answer your question yes you can make and recieve calls while telenav is running.

while your on the call telenav will not override to tell you a turn however, once you are finished with the call the app will start again

i currently have t-mobile pearl with telenav and its the same thing
Old 05-06-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
vawireless
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell

version 5.1 continues to run while on a call, with voice directions over the phone conversation.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vawireless View Post
version 5.1 continues to run while on a call, with voice directions over the phone conversation.
I am not sure I like this feature. Hard to hear - would be better if BT were working without clipping. Supposedly the caller can't hear the directions.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #7
vawireless
Thumbs Must Hurt

yeah, it was a bit hard to continue my conversation yesterday with telenav coming on, but at the same time, i probably would have gotten lost and missed my turns if it didn't come on. and the other caller didn't hear a thing, just silence since i would stop talking.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

My two cents, it is much better to have the voice directions during the conversation. I can't tell you how many times I'm driving and on the phone and miss a turn.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
jhkaplan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

I've been running Mapquest Navigator on my Sprint 8703e. I can make and receive calls while navigating, however, the call is very choppy and almost impossible to put up with. I cannot make a good call until I turn off the GPS.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
hdcd

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkaplan View Post
I've been running Mapquest Navigator on my Sprint 8703e. I can make and receive calls while navigating, however, the call is very choppy and almost impossible to put up with. I cannot make a good call until I turn off the GPS.
I experienced the same thing. You can't really talk on the phone when Telenav is running - too choppy.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #11
toronto8800

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Thumbs up

If you turn down the navigation voice volume while in Telenav, if you're on a call, she just whispers the turn intructions into your ear and more helpful than distracting...
Old 05-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #12
vawireless
Thumbs Must Hurt

i can't seem to recall but doesn't turning down the navigation volume also turn down the call volume, especially on a bluetooth headset? i thought both the call and navigation voice were controlled by the same volume level?
Closed Thread