Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:59 AM   #1
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Who Really Needs Their BB?

Please Login to Remove!

I know this is a totally random question, but I was wondering tonight, is there anyone out there who really NEEDS their BlackBerry? I understand that it makes your life easier, but who actually NEEDS it for their jobs, or just for their lives in general.

I guess my question is stemming from the fact that I am contemplating an iPhone and I know that not having the Push e-mail will not really effect me, but how would it effect you having to wait say 15 minutes to get your e-mails?

Just curious...
Old 07-18-2007, 06:18 AM   #2
RPeppekus
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: 243E67BC
Carrier: Etisalat

Hi!

Basically you are right, how much of your work is "re"active, so you have to respond and react in seconds? How much is decision making and actually THINKING, creating papers, concepts, strategies?

However, I can't afford losing too much time fidlling around with stuff, not being reachable via phone etc. The Blackberry offers me a robust solution, a device that does not slow down (like my Windows Mobile 6 powered eten M700) and keeps up with my keystrokes. I wasn't able to outpace my BB yet. Also in areas with weak coverage my Windows Mobile Phones somehow managed to stop syncing after some time. The BB handles that very well. So yes, I need a robust solution that delivers. The BB does that.

I wouldn't mind getting my email with a delay of 15 mins, but how often do you play email ping-pong, where mails are (mis)used as a kind of chat between people. If I would have to wait for 15mins for each response, no way, too much time wasted.

Regards,
Ralf
Old 07-18-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

My company and it's five field supervisors would be up the creek without the Blackberry. We each receive and send 60-80 emails a day. Our customers email lists of work to be completed. Our ability to answer a email in real time makes a huge difference in my company.

I can not tell you how many times my customers have expressed gratitude for out instant service, much I owe to the ability to communicate with the Blackberry.

iPhone? Not a chance!
Old 07-18-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
perpetualjon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A

I also do mobile field support for about several hundred clients in my area. The email capability is just essential for rapid response to their problems without them having to pick up a phone and spell out the issues (or having to fiddle with their phone's SMS messaging service). Just about any idiot can send a simple email to me with all the information I need. In addition, most of the other features of the Curve allow me to replace my PDA and MP3 player. Hell, I wasn't even thinking about an iPod video player but I sure like the ability of this thing. I think the next time I travel, I will be sure to load up on a couple of seasons of my favorite shows for the road. Life is good with this thing by my side.

Being able to easily sync with Outlook information, being able to voicedial like every other phone should, snapping decent pics from the built-in camera when on the job all make this little guy a blessing for my biz.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
psyct1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualjon View Post
I also do mobile field support for about several hundred clients in my area. The email capability is just essential for rapid response to their problems without them having to pick up a phone and spell out the issues (or having to fiddle with their phone's SMS messaging service). Just about any idiot can send a simple email to me with all the information I need. In addition, most of the other features of the Curve allow me to replace my PDA and MP3 player. Hell, I wasn't even thinking about an iPod video player but I sure like the ability of this thing. I think the next time I travel, I will be sure to load up on a couple of seasons of my favorite shows for the road. Life is good with this thing by my side.

Being able to easily sync with Outlook information, being able to voicedial like every other phone should, snapping decent pics from the built-in camera when on the job all make this little guy a blessing for my biz.
preach on!!!

lmao... i personally do not NEED my blackberries BUT, now that I have had them i cannot imagine life without...
Old 07-18-2007, 10:38 AM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I couldnt respond to my field supers or my project managers in a timely fashion becuase I am not tied to my desk all day. Some things we do are of a time sensitive nature and have to be reacted to ASAP and cant be done with out it being in writing.

I can view and respond to change orders instantly instead of waiting till I get back to a fax machine.

So yes I need my BB very much so.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

Time is money and the BB allows me to reply in a timely fashion enough said...
Old 07-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
Wstsydthug

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
Time is money and the BB allows me to reply in a timely fashion enough said...
Pretty much. I work in sales for IT equipment (Cisco) and my clients are my top priority. If I ever need to get them back ups or respond to emergencies, my BB will pick up their email/phone call. Yes, there may be times when my hands are tied (say on a Sunday morning) but normally, because of my BB I can connect and respond with whomever I need.

Not to mention I am 100% commission based so I need to be available always.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
sigmamason
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 22BFEE32

Real Estate business and Mortgage business. Need I say more
Travel Light!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 20878533

I mostly need mine so that I can have intimate knowledge of the handheld itself (as well as BES) for that I can support these at work. I tried supporting PDAs before without the expense of having work buy one for me as well. It's just easier to support when you can live day-in and day-out with the device and get that really intimate knowledge from production and development use.

It's (BB) a borderline need. but I could live without it if I needed to. I know most of my users wouldn't agree (they'd take the BB) but I'd pick my notebook computer over the BB, if I had to make a choice.

Email's pretty ubiquitous. that's why we still use the blackberrys instead of all of those supposed blackberry killers or other PDA gagets over the years. An it's only getting more ubiquitous as things like UM (unified messaging) on corporate PDA systems are making reliance on email all the more essential.

Plus with BIS, it's nice to be able to clean out my hotmail (and other seldom used accounts) when I have a few minutes downtime here and there.

I will tell you this. Without all of these electronic tools, we (the company I work for) would need to hire more people, plain and simple. The aids just make you even more productive. It's really a big boon to have PCs, networks, emails, and mobile communicators. We really would need more people.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I am the BES Admin and provide 1st and 2nd level handset support them, so I need one.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #12
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Personal use here.. but when I became a realtor my bb will be my life.

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 07-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #13
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

My life and work would be totally different without my blackberry.

To say my blackberry is essential is an understatement. Times of outages, technical issues and delays are noticeable to say the least.

My life is in my blackberry. The alternative would require a cell phone and large paper diary (at least).
Old 07-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #14
vicb

Model: 8820

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyct1 View Post
lmao... i personally do not NEED my blackberries BUT, now that I have had them i cannot imagine life without...

Amen, I "rented" the iPhone for 13 days, great multimedia/internet device, bad phone and email.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #15
Bounce
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

BC7 - what is important to you, and why do you want the iphone over the BB....

I thought this was my case also, and I paid a hefty re-stocking fee, one months of service, and loss on accessories to go back to BB...

I love Apple, but the iPhone is not a blackberry replacement as I had previously thought.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #16
bc7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
BC7 - what is important to you, and why do you want the iphone over the BB....

I thought this was my case also, and I paid a hefty re-stocking fee, one months of service, and loss on accessories to go back to BB...

I love Apple, but the iPhone is not a blackberry replacement as I had previously thought.
I will answer this question before I get to some other thoughts I have after reading your responses...

I would prefer the iPhone over my Curve because of the following:
#1- Receiving my e-mails via the push software of a BlackBerry is nice, but absolutely not essential for me. Especially if I can get online and check it whenever I need via my device.

#2- I am really disappointed with the device itself. The "vibrating" noise that I hear when I talk on my phone is terrible.

#3- In the line of work that I am in (professional sports) having my iPod around all the time would be a pretty cool thing. Especially since they have earbuds that you can listen to your music, and it will change to your ring when a phone call is coming in, and the microphone is right there attached to the earbuds.

#4- The web browsing alone on the iPhone is almost enough to seal the deal. Like I said, I have a lot of down time where I would love to be able to have the full internet right there at my finger tips.

#5- I may be mistaken but I believe the monthly plan is cheaper. I realize that I would have to pay for the device up front, but over time that would be a cheaper option.

As far as some other replies that I read, I am still not convinced that anyone actually HAS to have their e-mails as soon as they arrive. Yes it may be nicer, but I still feel that everyone would be just fine having there e-mails sent to their device every 15 minutes (or to whatever setting you would put that delivery at).

The only good argument was from the BES admin. I knew that would come from someone!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #17
samcraig

Model: 8300

For me it's essential. I'm in the news industry, and the ability to post stories, receive press releases on the fly, etc is paramount.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #18
sigmamason
Thumbs Must Hurt

while not everyone"needs" their email all the time...a lot of us want our email all the time.
as a small business owner witn a bunch of people asking continual questions about properties & mortgage rates via text and email...devices like the bb and treos have made life a heck of a lot easier than before when I had a phone and/or a dayrunner or palm pilot with me.
might not be for everyone...but then again neither is 15 yr old scotch...
Travel Light!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #19
TAG1976
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve

((SNIP))
Quote:
but how would it effect you having to wait say 15 minutes to get your e-mails?
15 Minutes is an eternity! Its the difference between a High $$$ sale, and missing a sale all together. I need info the minute that it becomes available.

Id be lost without my BB!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #20
sigmamason
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG1976 View Post
((SNIP))

15 Minutes is an eternity! Its the difference between a High $$$ sale, and missing a sale all together. I need info the minute that it becomes available.

Id be lost without my BB!
I agree...that might mean a potential client moving to the next guy that actually answers his question in what he perceives as timely.
Whether you work for a large company, small company or for yourself, being able to reply in a timely manner is key.
Travel Light!!!
Closed Thread