Old 07-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
DanKubicz

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Blackberry Tour teathered vs AC595 Rev A

Please Login to Remove!

Folks,

I am brand new to Blackberry so I apologize for the stupid question. I did a search but did not find the answer I am looking for...probably missed it but I tried.

I am looking at buying a Tour with the teather option. I have Verizon services and an AC595 wireless PCMCIA card that I use a lot. I have great luck with the card and am very pleased with the speed of the network. I use the card for work and cannot live with anything any slower...

I am concerned with the speed of the Tour with a teather. Can anyone provide a comparison of performance (I know, it depends on a whole bunch of factors but in a similar environment).

I greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks much.

Dan
Old 07-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
zetroc
Thumbs Must Hurt

I was also wondering about teathering with the VZW Tour. I currently have TMo but will be switching to VZW as soon as my Tour arrives... tomorrow 3PM!

With TMo, teathering is not difficult, and TMo doesn't really have restrictions. Is teathering as simple with VZW, or should I not try teathering? I'm not very well-versed with VZW and teathering. Thanks!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
texasPI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

I've had a pcmica card and usb modem over the years until a few months ago when my usb modem was stolen. I then added the tethering option to my BB and have been happy ever since. When connected by usb it seems connection speeds are slightly slower than a dedicated modem but they are acceptable. and cheaper and no commitment as opposed to a dedicated modem.

I'm using a Pearl and I don't think its Rev A so thats a consideration. When tethering over bluetooth the connection slows down quite a bit. I'll be interested to hear what speeds are with the Tour.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Serpentine009
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

VZW offers a program that you install on your PC that communicates with the device. The tethering plan is an additional $30 a month. There may be multiple tether optoions, I am not sure...just going by what I had. You can add and delete the tethering option to your account as you need it. I had a one time (2-week) use for remote access and I activated the option and then deactivated it when I returned home. I was less than impressed with the tether speeds on my 8330. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Hebdog7
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Some leters and numbers

Wirelessly posted (Krunkestberry Storm 9530)

Tetherberry.com one time fee instead of a monthly fee. Did it for my mom so we could get her bill down. She had a Storm and aircard on her monthly bill. Anyways you could not tell a difference between the two until we ran a speed test. Results were the Storm was just a hair slower. In the end she saved a lot of money and she uses her Storm for work as well for her laptop. No worries check that site and don't pay Verizon for what you already pay for.

Last edited by Hebdog7; 07-13-2009 at 04:18 PM..
Closed Thread