BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 05:45 AM   #1
Violet_P

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Movistar
Default How to protect my Blackberry at the beach?

Please Login to Remove!

hey everyone

This is the first time I'll be taking my Blackberry to the beach and i'm paranoid it will get scratched with sand, sticky sea water or get too much heat. How do you guys handle this?

I was thinking of getting it into an hermetic plastic bag (the ones used for food) but then it might get more heated?

I can't buy special casing, they don't sell any BB casing at stores over here and i'm leaving tomorrow so i cant order it. So far i have my blackberry in an apple ipod sock.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:35 AM   #2
C. Gomez
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T

Zip-lock bag is the cheap/tacky/innovative way to go about it.

Otherwise, throw the BlackBerry at anyone splashing water or kicking sand and that should work too.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Here is the best way, DON'T BRING IT. You are at the beach to relax, do you really need to have your Blackberry with you.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
YMark
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Here is the best way, DON'T BRING IT. You are at the beach to relax, do you really need to have your Blackberry with you.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
nexteli836man
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark View Post
I Agree leave it at home enjoy the day !!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
pangelpip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300c
Carrier: Cingular (the new AT&T)

I am running into the same problem next week when I go on "vacation" but I still need to be in touch with work incase something comes up. I might be able to have something overnighted but what would you guys suggest...besides not bringing it..I wish that was an option
Old 08-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Violet, I am on your side.

Take the BB with your and ENJOY your day at the beach WITH your addiction. Use a simple ziplock bag (or two, one inside the other).
Old 08-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Violet_P

Carrier: Movistar

haha..I thought about not taking it but i have to, it's my only phone and I'm going to be alone at times..it would be a risk not to take it with me.

I think I'll do the ziplock into ziplock thing and simply not use it unless it's necessary.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
MadhatterPDC
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

I spend a good amount of time around the water and sand, and the only way I can spend that much time there is with my Blackberry, so I feel your position. If I am on the boat, it usually goes in a watertight console and check it frequently. When I am fishing off the shore, I have had pretty good luck leaving it in a regular backpack, it's a lot easier to keep a pack with straps and handles out of the water than a slippery little piece of plastic. Beyond that a regular zip-lock bag does a good job and you can actually access most functions with it still in the bag (the scroll wheel was easier than the trackball)

Other than that, sand is very efficient at getting everywhere so good luck.

Last edited by MadhatterPDC; 08-03-2007 at 09:48 AM..
Old 08-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #10
pangelpip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300c
Carrier: Cingular (the new AT&T)

yeah that is sounding like the best idea so far. maybe I will just keep it in the hotel room and just say I must been in the bathroom when it rang haha
Old 08-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #11
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Oh I spend alot of time on the water/boats also (fishing and whatnot), and only once in five years I have dropped mine into the Gulf... actually I have come to believe it jumped in after me, off the boat into the water.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #12
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I take my BB to the beach every couple of weeks. Occasionally i get sand on it but it hasn't been a problem. I tend to keep it in a backpack or whatever bagmy beach stuff is in, but in a separate pocket that doesn't get filled with sand as the day progresses.

It's really not a problem, you just have to be careful. Mind you, I don't really take it out that much. Usually only a handful of times over the course of the day.

Good luck. Happy beaching-- only 4 more weeks left!
Old 08-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #13
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Put BB in ziplock bag in a ziplock bag with paper towel (to absorb any moisture), PLUS, if you'll be in a boat or near the water, add a piece of styro foam, so that it will be more bouyant in case it really gets in the water . . .
Old 08-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: S AND NEEDLES
Carrier: VZW

1. I take my BB to the beach so I don't have like a 1000 emails when i get back (there is always some downtime on the vacation like waiting for people to get ready for dinner, etc).

2. Go to your local REI or other outdoor sports store or a store like West Marine to find waterproof cellphone/gps receiver sleeve. they are usually pretty inexpensive (less than 15 bucks) and are bulletproof for this kind of thing. (if you have time to do this, it doesn't have to be specific BB). Any major marina/boat store will have this).

3. If it gets down to ziplocs, I would double or triple bag it. Sand has a tendency to make this non-waterproof

I use it for my GPS receiver, Ipod, BB depending on what i am doing. It saved my Ipod when I was camping (during a rain storm).

I know this might be overkill, but a 15$ investement might save you some major headaches downstream...not all ziplocks are created equal.

Last edited by 003402; 08-03-2007 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: additional thoughts....
Old 08-04-2007, 06:05 AM   #15
janeenadamsmartin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Along the same lines, is there a leash for the 8830? I ride horses and take my phone for emergencies. If I should have to use it while on horseback, I am concerned about dropping it. My old razr clipon case was bulky enough that I didn't worry about dropping it while wearing gloves, but this thing is really slippery!
Old 08-04-2007, 07:15 AM   #16
jimpaetschow

Model: 8703
Carrier: alltel
Default blackberry to the beach

number 1, the beach SHOULD be fun, quit working there,,,,but,,, if you have to, I found whats called an "otterbox" a little pricey, but well worth it, about $140 and its waterproof, sand proof, and "beachproof" and everything on your phone works wonderful while its in this case, "otterbox.com" you wont be disappointed
Old 08-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #17
GregH-BBPearl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile
Default AquaPac Case

AquaPac Case
Old 08-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #18
Baggman

Model: 9800
PIN: 7-10 split
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH-BBPearl View Post
AquaPac Case

Ditto.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #19
quillhill

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet_P View Post
haha..I thought about not taking it but i have to, it's my only phone and I'm going to be alone at times..it would be a risk not to take it with me.

I think I'll do the ziplock into ziplock thing and simply not use it unless it's necessary.
I'm confused. You only have one phone and it's your ... BB? I don't...get it.

Sorry, a little phone geek humor. I have two BB's now (Curve and Pearl) plus a back up regular phone (Samsung a717) so my little brain thought loudly, "Don't take it!"

I forget I'm an anomaly in the phone world.

Actually, I think I may take the advice of the waterproof bag from REI, might be good to just have for electronics devices.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #20
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 003402 View Post
1. I take my BB to the beach so I don't have like a 1000 emails when i get back (there is always some downtime on the vacation like waiting for people to get ready for dinner, etc).

2. Go to your local REI or other outdoor sports store or a store like West Marine to find waterproof cellphone/gps receiver sleeve. they are usually pretty inexpensive (less than 15 bucks) and are bulletproof for this kind of thing. (if you have time to do this, it doesn't have to be specific BB). Any major marina/boat store will have this).

3. If it gets down to ziplocs, I would double or triple bag it. Sand has a tendency to make this non-waterproof

I use it for my GPS receiver, Ipod, BB depending on what i am doing. It saved my Ipod when I was camping (during a rain storm).

I know this might be overkill, but a 15$ investement might save you some major headaches downstream...not all ziplocks are created equal.
The OP is not in the US, so I'm not sure if they have shops like this wherever he/she is. I've honestly never seen any outdoor stores in any country but the US and Canada, so the plastic bag might be it.