BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
PastAustin

Model: 7100T
Question Screen Modification

Please Login to Remove!

I am developing an application for the company I work for and they asked me if it was possible if included in this application or as an additional project I could modify the appointment creation screen so that the notes were at the top instead of the bottom. I told them I was not sure but I would see if I could find a way.

Now I am quite familiar with Java and have developed several applications using many other JDEs but I cannot for the life of me figure out how I could possibly modify these screens if it is possible at all.

Any help would be fantastic. Thank you.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
PastAustin

Cool hmmm....

Questions usually seem to get answered pretty quickly on here. Does no one know of a way to do this or do I need to rephrase my question?
Old 11-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
adwiv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8707g
Carrier: Hutch

Do you mean you "really" want to modify the default "New Appointment" screen?
You cannot! At least not in a straight forward way that will be acceptable to most clients.
Why not create a new "New Appointment" screen and add a new menu item to the calender view.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
PastAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwiv
Do you mean you "really" want to modify the default "New Appointment" screen?
You cannot! At least not in a straight forward way that will be acceptable to most clients.
Why not create a new "New Appointment" screen and add a new menu item to the calender view.
I do mean I want to actually modify the "New Appointment" screen. It IS possible?

I have considered creating my own "New Appointment" screen and overriding the old one but modifying the old one seems easier. Am I incorrect?
Old 11-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
adwiv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8707g
Carrier: Hutch

First of all, the Calendar application is not a part of the API. So, you can not extend it in any other way except by inserting your custom menu. So IMO you have two options -
1. Add an ApplicationMenuItem for MENUITEM_CALENDAR , and create your own "New Appointment" screen.
OR
2. Add the ApplicationMenuItem to for MENUITEM_CALENDAR_EVENT screen. Once the New Appointment screen opens, the user will have to click on your menu item. In the run method of the menuitem, get the current active screen, get a handle to the notes field, delete it from the screen and then insert it at the location you want.
Code:
Screen s = UiApplication.getUiApplication().getActiveScreen();
Field notefield = s.getField(index);
s.delete(notefield);
s.insert(notefield, newindex);
As I said, its not neat. But it is certainly possible.
And you can not do these modifications without the user clicking on your menu item.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
kevin.ross
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

As far as I am aware, it is very difficult if impossible to intercept *most* of the functions that RIM already has in place for the default applications. You can of course add your own menu items to trigger your own screen, but I would say with a high level of confidence that you cannot override the menu item action. This is mainly due to the fact that you do not control the screen, therefore you also don't control menu creation. At that level, you can merely participate with your own menu item.

I'm not the absolute authority, but I think that is the best answer you'll get without paying for RIM support.