BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 06:40 AM   #1
Argelius
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Default Decision: 8700 from Cingular NOW or wait until Nov when Sprint contract is up?

Please Login to Remove!

I've done my best to scan through these rumor threads, but didn't come up with much (which I guess is to be expected, since these are just rumors...)

Here's my situation:
[1] Hopeless gadget addict struggling with major urge to get a new gadget
[2] Currently have a Treo 650 with Sprint
[3] Contract is up next November
[4] Really intrigued by the 8700c (see [1] above)

So, putting aside wisdom of breaking Sprint contract (for $150), does anyone have a feel about the likelihood of RIM coming out with a new phone (with significant enhancements over the 8700, like SD card slot) before november?

Thanks for your thoughts...
Old 03-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Always possible. Rumors abound. Data speeds. Edge 237 Kbps, UMTS 384 Kbps, HSDPA = 1.8 Mbps (now) , 3.6 Mbps (end 2006), 7.2 Mbps (2007), 14.4 Mbps (beyond).. Do you think they will stop moving forward? I will say the 8700 is the best business device I have ever had.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

T-Mobile and other players are coming out with the 8700 as early as April, I would wait and maybe there may be a deal to be had. Not sure if you are happy with your Sprint service or want to switch, but switching providers for the newest gadget could get expensive. Especially if you switch to Cingular and then don't like the service.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
zeekster

Model: 7510

If you are happy with your service, wait for a CDMA 8XXX version and play with the PPC-6700 to feed your gadget fix in the mean time. The latest gadget with crappy service where you live/work is just that - crappy

Last edited by zeekster; 03-28-2006 at 06:09 PM..
Old 03-30-2006, 07:06 AM   #5
Argelius

Thanks for your thoughts.
I've had my Treo for almost 2 years now...which for me is like an alcoholic sipping off of the same bottle of wine for 3 days.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:21 PM   #6
robber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250

I hear you- same boat. Had the 650 since the roadshow- went to the 6600, 6700 and just today ordered a 7250.

I figure the push email should keep me entertained for a few weeks.

The 6700 is a solid device and coming from the 650 should keep you in honeymoon mode for a while.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:51 AM   #7
lars_ecks

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I had the 6700 from sprint. Made the switch to BB and I don't miss the 6700 one bit. I hated the stylus and BB is so much better for email usage, which is very important to me.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
Argelius

I just wish the BB had an expansion card. Hoping BB will come out with a new model with one (and maybe a camera) before I give in and get something else...

I think i need to go to a GA (Gadgetaholics Anonymous) meeting.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:04 AM   #9
digital/blasphemy
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argelius
I just wish the BB had an expansion card. Hoping BB will come out with a new model with one (and maybe a camera) before I give in and get something else...

I think i need to go to a GA (Gadgetaholics Anonymous) meeting.
There's a lot of TALK about possible a consumer version of BB coming out. And i think that I would be right there with you at the GA meeting

Hi, my name is Greg, and I'm a Gadgetaholic (HI GREG).
Old 04-16-2006, 06:42 AM   #10
paradisephoto
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

Fellow gadgetaholics unite!!! There is always ebay for a short term fix. I am on my third crackberry, first with Cingular, then went over to Verizon. I have never bought a crackberry new, always buy them off of ebay. Saves a ton of money.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:08 AM   #11
digital/blasphemy
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradisephoto
Fellow gadgetaholics unite!!! There is always ebay for a short term fix. I am on my third crackberry, first with Cingular, then went over to Verizon. I have never bought a crackberry new, always buy them off of ebay. Saves a ton of money.
see, this is why i think my gadgetaholicism has progressed.

I love the feeling of opening a brand new box on a Blackberry, seeing the freshness of the phone with the screen protector sticker still on, and knowing that no one else but YOU has owned this phone.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #12
Argelius

I just gave in and bought a phone from eBay (sorry, not a BB -- a PPC-6700 Windows Mobile 5.0 phone). I couldn't hold off any longer. (And once I was told that the BB PDA only allows one address/contact, I decided it might not be for me...).

My contract with Sprint is up in November, so we'll see if the folks at RIM come out with something new by then.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:32 AM   #13
digital/blasphemy
No longer Registered.

Quote:
I just gave in and bought a phone from eBay (sorry, not a BB -- a PPC-6700 Windows Mobile 5.0 phone). I couldn't hold off any longer. (And once I was told that the BB PDA only allows one address/contact, I decided it might not be for me...).

My contract with Sprint is up in November, so we'll see if the folks at RIM come out with something new by then.
you were told? what a great way to find out information on a subject!

I'm looking at my BB right now and I definately have a work address and home address on several contacts.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:11 AM   #14
Berry O Black

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

If you can wait (and i dont know how you could), you will see some pretty amazing changes to the devcies by the 4th QTR. But If you get an 8700 from Cing or TMO which launches next week, you can always sell it later. I personally cant see how anyone can survive without a BlackBerry. I have had Treos and Tungstens in the past and there is no comparison once you start using all the features.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #15
Crimson27

Carrier: Rogers

I'm in the same boat. I presently have a Treo 650 up from 600 almost 2 yrs ago. I have been looking at many new devices. I don't think I'm really interested in the Palm OS anymore, sort of anitquated unless they finally release 6.0 with the rumored 800p. The Moto Q has my interest but I'm still not 100% convinced on the OS. I hear many complaints about speed.
Now, I looked at and played around with a BB 8700r for a good hour. Although I wasn't used to no stylus, I found the thumbwheel great over time and I think I preferred it. Hell, touchscreen is great but then that exposes the screen to damage. My friend broke his Treo screen twice and is now using an armored casing from hell to save it. What's the use.
So now, I'm sitting on the fence debating on pulling the trigger on the BB 8700. I saw here that one person went from Treo to BB and is very happy. I just wonder if that's the majority? Will I miss some of the wizzbang features of my Treo or will the great features of the BB make me forget about them?
Old 05-17-2006, 01:17 PM   #16
strobate
Thumbs Must Hurt

I really Really REALLY dislike touchscreens. If I don't have to touch the screen the screen is going to remain in better condition. No brainer, right?

Do you use the media features on the Treo? What's its primary use? If phone and email (and organizer) then you will love the BlackBerry. If you use it to play music or use the camera, you may miss those features, but possibly not enough to remain on the Treo platform or go with the Q.

WinMo is at best inelegant and at worst buggy and slow. Simple things like keyboard shortcuts are not the same across the UI (inexcusable).

IMHO, Microsoft wants WinMo to function like a computer (that is desktop or laptop). I already have a laptop. I want mobile email and voice, my calendar with me and a place to note spending. I do not need a huge operating system (poorly designed) for that. I just need my BB.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #17
Argelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson27
So now, I'm sitting on the fence debating on pulling the trigger on the BB 8700. I saw here that one person went from Treo to BB and is very happy. I just wonder if that's the majority? Will I miss some of the wizzbang features of my Treo or will the great features of the BB make me forget about them?
Here's my story. I've had a Treo 650 for nearly two years and was just dying of boredom with it (major gadget-nut here...). I decided to try out a BB 8700 with T-Mobile to take advantage of their two-week trial period.

I played with the BB intensely for most of those two weeks and ended up returning it. I loved the form factor and one-handed design. The screen was gorgeous, too. Unfortunately, it wasn't for me for these reasons (in order of importance):

[1] The BB's PIM functions (calendar and contacts) were just too bare-bones for me. The information was there, but very crudely displayed.

[2] No memory card. While this is obviously not a deal-breaker for many, I found the lack of one annoying. I like installing lots of programs to play with and don't like worrying about how much memory I am using up.

[3] Email reading was always in plain text -- no HTML formatting allowed. (If it is, I never figured out how to enable it).

[4] No camera. This is pretty minor to me, but find it useful to occasionally snap a quick picture of something for later reference.

[5] No mp3 player. Again, minor.

So ultimately, while the BB8700 is a very fine device, it wasn't enough of a PIM for my needs.

I am currently trying out the PPC-8700 from Sprint. It's providing me with ample things to play with gadget-wise, but WM 5.0 is quirky. It seems to always take 3 times as many keystrokes/stylus taps to do everything. And I really miss the keyboard below the screen (rather than the slide-out one).

I remain intrigued with the Moto Q. Can't wait to see one in person. Like you, Palm is just losing my interest with very infrequent (and usually minimal) upgrades/new products. (For instance, other than the EVDO and a more mega-pixel camera), the 700p is essentially identical to the Treo 650.

Last edited by Argelius; 05-17-2006 at 01:25 PM..
Old 05-17-2006, 05:57 PM   #18
Crimson27

Carrier: Rogers

Strobate, I agree completely on your comments about the WinMo trying to be pc OS. Just because it works on a pc with a mouse doesn't mean it can work on a small phone. I think if I had to chose, I'd go with the Palm OS instead of WinMo, least its easier to use with nav pad and other keys. I guess my hopes on Palm rest of Cobalt and the 800P. Time will tell.

Argeluis, while I know what you mean about the Treo and its features that you mentioned, I'm not sure that would bother me as much. Sure its great that it can play movies and music but when I sat down to think how many times I used them, it was only for showing off my Treo. I never really used it for all this. In any case, I'm probably looking at something that does more of all this like a UMPC. Watching a movie is great but limiting on a tiny screen. One option was also the HTC Universal/i-mate JASJAR. Course, if I spending that much money on the device, I rather buy a good laptop. If the JASJAR was quad-band and a few hundred $$$ less then I think that could be my device.
The Q looks great for size and everything but I'm really wondering how good the OS will play using just a jogwheel, the OS was designed more for touchscreen. I guess its like using Windows XP without a mouse. Hmmm.
I also forgot to mention the Nokia E61/E62 in my choices. I'm a pretty big fan of Nokia plus my phone before was using the same OS (6620). The only downfall is they will remove the Wi-Fi and UMTS for North America, not too happy about that. Its also priced decently and it'll do pretty much everything a Treo can.

I'm wondering now if Blackberry is working on some new sexy thin BB (full qwerty). The pics I saw of the 7130 looked really sleek and sexy, so I'm assuming their shifting their design a bit to make them more attractive.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:13 AM   #19
hcheun
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Quote:
Here's my story. I've had a Treo 650 for nearly two years and was just dying of boredom with it (major gadget-nut here...). I decided to try out a BB 8700 with T-Mobile to take advantage of their two-week trial period.

I played with the BB intensely for most of those two weeks and ended up returning it. I loved the form factor and one-handed design. The screen was gorgeous, too. Unfortunately, it wasn't for me for these reasons (in order of importance):

[1] The BB's PIM functions (calendar and contacts) were just too bare-bones for me. The information was there, but very crudely displayed.

[2] No memory card. While this is obviously not a deal-breaker for many, I found the lack of one annoying. I like installing lots of programs to play with and don't like worrying about how much memory I am using up.

[3] Email reading was always in plain text -- no HTML formatting allowed. (If it is, I never figured out how to enable it).

[4] No camera. This is pretty minor to me, but find it useful to occasionally snap a quick picture of something for later reference.

[5] No mp3 player. Again, minor.

So ultimately, while the BB8700 is a very fine device, it wasn't enough of a PIM for my needs.

I am currently trying out the PPC-8700 from Sprint. It's providing me with ample things to play with gadget-wise, but WM 5.0 is quirky. It seems to always take 3 times as many keystrokes/stylus taps to do everything. And I really miss the keyboard below the screen (rather than the slide-out one).

I remain intrigued with the Moto Q. Can't wait to see one in person. Like you, Palm is just losing my interest with very infrequent (and usually minimal) upgrades/new products. (For instance, other than the EVDO and a more mega-pixel camera), the 700p is essentially identical to the Treo 650.

Argelius

I know your pain. I've completely severed the treo for other reasons than what you stated their, but i dont' want to get started on them.

If i were you, i'd just stick with the 6700 or even consider the 7250 if you can deal , and just wait, like some other posts say, and get the 8xxx series if and when it comes out for sprint and CDMA.

The Q is looking to be hot stuff, but like everyone says, if you can feed your habits in gadgets (and i can confess, i am one of those money spending gadget freaks!) , it's pretty expensive to hop around and go from one provider to another, when it's just not worth it, and just better off to wait till the provider is able to get the same or similar phone with functions.

just my two cents.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:40 AM   #20
FlyingElvis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I had the 6700 from VZW and hated it. If you need a phone/device that can be used one-handed, this is not a good choice. Also, the lack of a keyboard forces you to use the screen as a virtual keypad. Have fun typing on this with thumbs when you can barely see it from the sun/glare.

I swapped it for a 7130e and never looked back.
Closed Thread