Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
BlackBerryCoolSteve
BBF News Contributer

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers
Default BlackBerry gets shown up at 3GSM

Please Login to Remove!

Unforuntately, we’re not talking about the BlackBerry 8800 showing up on the scene. Last week, the folks at emoze thought they’d have a little fun and organize an “e-mail-off” of sorts with the BlackBerry, to see who could “provide users with their emails quickest” and, well, there’s no easy way to put this - the BlackBerry user was the one going to the consolation room.

continued here
BlackBerryCool » BlackBerry gets shown up at 3GSM

Editor.
Schwaggr.com
Old 02-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

Sad but what does this really mean. And how much faster was the emoze?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
BlackBerryCoolSteve
BBF News Contributer

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

Doesn't mean much, really - mainly for a reason brought to light by a comment on BBCool.

"The thing that bothers me about emoze (which they don’t go out of their way to tell you) is that you have to keep your computer on at all times with your desktop e-mail app running. Otherwise it won’t work. Give me a break. "

And it's true. In actuality, BlackBerry is, and will always be (in all of our opinions) the big winner when it comes to a mobile email solution.

Editor.
Schwaggr.com
Old 02-25-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
DLB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Tried to install it on my 7130e but it is not supported yet so you are given the option to have Emoze check a POP3 account. So you create a new POP3 account through BIS but have Emoze as the incoming and outgoing server. You have to use Outlook and must leave it running along with the Emoze desktop application.

Basically what it does is forward your incoming emails to your BB while keeping the original sender's address intact. It will not forward attachments or sync calendar items or tasks to your BB. Time for sending from BB and receiving at the desktop is between 10-15 minutes. Same for replying. Items sent from BB do not appear in Sent Items folder.

Since it works with Outlook, junk e-mail rules are applied and you don't have to set your POP3 account to leave a copy on the server in case the BB picks it up before Outlook or vice versa. My re-director is not working anymore so this seems to do the job for now.

Just noticed today that emails deleted on BB are also deleted in Outlook Inbox and appear in Deleted Items folder....cool

Last edited by DLB; 03-06-2007 at 07:27 PM..
Old 02-26-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerryCoolSteve
Doesn't mean much, really - mainly for a reason brought to light by a comment on BBCool.

"The thing that bothers me about emoze (which they don’t go out of their way to tell you) is that you have to keep your computer on at all times with your desktop e-mail app running. Otherwise it won’t work. Give me a break. "

And it's true. In actuality, BlackBerry is, and will always be (in all of our opinions) the big winner when it comes to a mobile email solution.

now were these blackberries linked to a BES or was it just BIS? i get instantaneous emails from my gmail account, and im on a BIS. I literally will recieve them as soon as the sent confirmation shows up on the desktop that i send it from. not sure how you can get faster than this, but with the BES shouldnt all emails be quasi-instant?
Old 02-27-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Nextel User
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220

they also only tested sending from the phone....and the other phone probably had 3g capability. which may have accounted for the the mere seconds (which frankly no one cares about) that it got there faster. now i would like to see a test sent to the two phones and lets see which gets there first.

i put money on the BB
Old 02-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
snowmangoh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 22CF79CB
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Orrrrr... Your Blackberry (or Cingular's blackberry server, rather) checks email every fifteen minutes untill you recieve an email, and then every five minutes after that for a set period of time. So it's not that it was getting the email slow, just that it wasn't time for it to reconcile that account yet (assuming they were not on an enterprise server). Aaaand WHO GIVES A CRAP! I love my Blackberry because i can get information people send me quickly, but I hate the way that it has made email issues a priority. If it was so important you couldn't wait five minutes, THEY WOULD HAVE FRIGGIN CALLED YOU (it happens to be a phone too)! And now I step off of my soapbox.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #8
williamt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100g

here, here snowmangoh, what was the point in this test?
I mean come on, who really needs an email in seconds?
Like you said, if it was a matter of life and death I doubt that they'd email you.
Just shows some rival companies have an over large ego :P
iVirtua Forums (My site)
Old 03-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
razorbackfan

Model: 8703E
Carrier: alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextel User
they also only tested sending from the phone....and the other phone probably had 3g capability. which may have accounted for the the mere seconds (which frankly no one cares about) that it got there faster. now i would like to see a test sent to the two phones and lets see which gets there first.

i put money on the BB
Actually, I care about seconds. I own my own IT company and get some of my jobs from an online job auction that it's pretty much first come first serve as to who gets the jobs; everyone gets the email notification at the same time so whoever has the fastest email is in the best position to get the work.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
camaxtli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
PIN: a colada
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmangoh View Post
Orrrrr... Your Blackberry (or Cingular's blackberry server, rather) checks email every fifteen minutes untill you recieve an email, and then every five minutes after that for a set period of time. So it's not that it was getting the email slow, just that it wasn't time for it to reconcile that account yet (assuming they were not on an enterprise server). Aaaand WHO GIVES A CRAP! I love my Blackberry because i can get information people send me quickly, but I hate the way that it has made email issues a priority. If it was so important you couldn't wait five minutes, THEY WOULD HAVE FRIGGIN CALLED YOU (it happens to be a phone too)! And now I step off of my soapbox.
Just what I was thinking.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #11
smilingburgers

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbackfan View Post
Actually, I care about seconds. I own my own IT company and get some of my jobs from an online job auction that it's pretty much first come first serve as to who gets the jobs; everyone gets the email notification at the same time so whoever has the fastest email is in the best position to get the work.
Are you on BES or BIS? I'd venture to say, that if you have an 8703e on BES, you get your emails within seconds. Especially if you have EVDO coverage where you are most of the time.

If you're not on BES... Well... you just need to be. I think anyone here would agree.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
Nextel User
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingburgers View Post
Are you on BES or BIS? I'd venture to say, that if you have an 8703e on BES, you get your emails within seconds. Especially if you have EVDO coverage where you are most of the time.

If you're not on BES... Well... you just need to be. I think anyone here would agree.
i certainly agree..
also he clearly didnt read my message. the seconds were referring to the email that was sent.
i said on the recieving end that i was pretty sure that BB's would be faster.
Closed Thread