BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #21
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

<shrugs> As long as RIM keeps makin' em, I'll keep buyin' em. That's my "cool factor".
Old 01-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #22
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Tell that to The Google
I think you meant to say "Tell that to ApacheIndian" since I'm sure he has a direct line to The Google™.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #23
mondinga

Model: 9700
Carrier: att

Thank you for all of your replies. These were the sort of responses that I expected to get on this forum. Keep in mind that I posted this message becuase I am an advocate of the Blackberry and have been since ~2002, but I am only conveying what I see happening right in front of my face.

While security is most important in a corporate environment, most people don't care about that.

When was the last time you had someone come up to you and say, I really love my Blackberry becuase it's so secure and the encryption on it rocks! I am going to guess never.

Therefore, the point is that Blackberry can still continue to make a great business product, but also needs to needs to offer a device that HAS IT ALL. In the end, it's the consumer that drives the market. Smart phones aren't just for business anymore.

Mark my words, if Blackberry doesn't compete head to head with the iPhone "Now", they are going to loose and you will get to put your Blackberry's in the drawer next to your Palm Pilot.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #24
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondinga View Post
Thank you for all of your replies. These were the sort of responses that I expected to get on this forum.
Let me guess, you're the type who kicks a bear and knows he gonna his a$$ chewed on, but you do it anyway. Because you care.

Guess what, go check some sales figures, devices sold, # of users, etc., and get back to us.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #25
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
It doesn't matter how secure the Blackberry is, how much better it works with Outlook . Exchange, or how much easier it is to support in a corporate environment. It's all about THE COOLNESS FACTOR and MULTIMEDIA.
Quote:
While security is most important in a corporate environment, most people don't care about that.
Now, which one is it?
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]

Last edited by jsconyers; 01-20-2010 at 11:41 AM..
Old 01-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #26
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
When was the last time you had someone come up to you and say, I really love my Blackberry becuase it's so secure and the encryption on it rocks! I am going to guess never.
Umm... the day I gave one my husband, who -- as a trial attorney who by necessity keeps client information on his phone -- has an above-average need for data security?

You're making it sound like your phone needs are everyone's phone needs, and that pop culture's opinion about what is cool is the only opinion. The closer we get to living in The Cloud, the more important things like security and encryption are going to become. Those people who are only interested in the "shock and awe" factor of a device are going to find that out the hard way.

Security may not be sexy, but it's a hell of a lot sexier than identity theft.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #27
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr View Post
Those people who are only interested in the "shock and awe" factor of a device are going to find that out the hard way.

Security may not be sexy, but it's a hell of a lot sexier than identity theft.
Well said! Look at Paris Hilton when she had the Sidekick or whatever it was that got hacked. What did she move to? A BlackBerry. Do you think security had anything to do with that decision?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #28
Noodle22

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

That's why most celebrities you see have BlackBerries.

There is no phone that 'does it all'. All different companies have their plusses and their negatives, it's about figuring out what is important to you and which manufacturer provides what you need.

If you don't give a poop about security and just want a flashy 'sexy' phone that can do tricks, then get the shiniest phone you see. If it makes YOU happy, then go for it.

Last time I checked, companies that give their employees devices were more concerned with keeping the content of those devices secure then how "cool" it makes their employees look.

This isn't highschool anymore.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #29
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Quote:
Thank you for all of your replies. These were the sort of responses that I expected to get on this forum.
It really doesn't take significant intelligence to realize that, generally speaking, the members of a BlackBerry support forum are going to support their devices of choice. As a result, this comment makes you look decidedly un-intelligent.

Quote:
Keep in mind that I posted this message becuase I am an advocate of the Blackberry and have been since ~2002, but I am only conveying what I see happening right in front of my face.
Right in front of your face? What an odd way of saying "I don't know what I'm talking about."

Quote:
Please define "most people." But before you do, please take a look at RIM's product sales. I'm going to guess that you define "most people" as teenagers that think cell phones are cool, that their phones provide social status, and that still mooch off their parents. Considering BlackBerries are primarily designed for corporate environments, I'm willing to bet that "most people" are the types that actually do care about the information stored on their devices.

Not withstanding the 500 BlackBerry users in your "company" that so desperately need to get an iPhone so that they can finally be cool.

Quote:
You're right. Never. But I believe that has more to do with the people I spend time with aren't completely boring or pathetic and less to do with not caring about security. Look at it this way... why talk about security of a BlackBerry device when you know it's there, it works, and there are more important things to talk about?

Quote:
Therefore, the point is that Blackberry can still continue to make a great business product, but also needs to needs to offer a device that HAS IT ALL. In the end, it's the consumer that drives the market. Smart phones aren't just for business anymore.
First, why must RIM (the name of the manufacturer, by the way) make a device that does it all? I really don't care if you want an iPhone, a Nexus One, or a BlackBerry. I doubt very seriously that RIM cares about you either. Their sales are fine because their products fill a specific need. They don't need to do it all. I would rather RIM continue to make the devices they make than cater to you.

Quote:
Mark my words, if Blackberry doesn't compete head to head with the iPhone "Now", they are going to loose and you will get to put your Blackberry's in the drawer next to your Palm Pilot.
Why would I mark your words? I have no respect for you or your opinion. You mentioned that your opinion is highly valued at your "company." I find that depressing, because that means your "company" is staffed by morons. It's a scary world when there are people that look up to you for your opinion.

No. How about you mark my words: go away.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #30
Noodle22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post

Why would I mark your words? I have no respect for you or your opinion. You mentioned that your opinion is highly valued at your "company." I find that depressing, because that means your "company" is staffed by morons. It's a scary world when there are people that look up to you for your opinion.
Best comment yet.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #31
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Thank you for all of your replies. These were the sort of responses that I expected to get on this forum. Keep in mind that I posted this message becuase I am an advocate of the Blackberry and have been since ~2002, but I am only conveying what I see happening right in front of my face.

Your struggle to formulate coherent thoughts that sound intelligent and knowledgeable are simply having the reverse effect. It's somewhat amusing, and personally I hope you continue trying to make your point.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #32
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

I am waiting for someone to build a phone into a netbook. Now that would be so coooooooooooool! One device to compute, get on the internet, do some work and chat on. What more could you ask for?

Let's see what can I call this thing? How about Fred? No, thats been taken. What about . . .

iPhone killer!!

Patent applied for, send cash in small unmarked bills.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #33
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
It doesn't matter how secure the Blackberry is, how much better it works with Outlook . Exchange...
The BB works better with Exchange? I don't know, I have full folder, calender and Contacts support on my iphone, without any further software or cost.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #34
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Well said! Look at Paris Hilton when she had the Sidekick or whatever it was that got hacked. What did she move to? A BlackBerry. Do you think security had anything to do with that decision?
I really doubt security had anything to do with it. She was either given it for free in a celeb goody bag, or got one because it was the "in" device for someone in the spotlight. Paris probably can't even spell security, more or less know anything about it.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #35
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
I am waiting for someone to build a phone into a netbook. Now that would be so coooooooooooool! One device to compute, get on the internet, do some work and chat on. What more could you ask for?

Let's see what can I call this thing? How about Fred? No, thats been taken. What about . . .

iPhone killer!!

Patent applied for, send cash in small unmarked bills.
I actually read a rumor about RIM maybe doing that very thing......
Old 01-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #36
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Today, yesterday, the day before that...

In fact it is my ability to create applications that provide such a high degree of security assurance that keeps me employed.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #37
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Duck Dodgers, super spy!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #38
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Recycled user on a spoofed IP....

They are fun to say the least....
Old 01-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #39
Noodle22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Recycled user on a spoofed IP....

They are fun to say the least....

That's what I was thinking, when I first clicked on this thread, I thought I had accidentally clicked on one I had read before. When I noticed the date I was like "Ahh, okay... another one."
Old 01-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #40
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I really doubt security had anything to do with it. She was either given it for free in a celeb goody bag, or got one because it was the "in" device for someone in the spotlight. Paris probably can't even spell security, more or less know anything about it.
I agree with you about her not knowing, but I am sure her agent probably does and he/she probably made the suggestion to a more secure device.
Closed Thread