Old 09-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
JoelDF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: AT&T
Default Switching from current BIS enabled Pearl to BES for work

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, new here.

I've had my BB Pearl for a few months now. I bought it personally and the plan through AT&T included the all-out BlackBerry Personal data plan.

Now I'm trying to get it to work with my office's BES that's already been set up to work with my work email address - I just have to activate it

During this process and searching around this forum, I find out that the data plan I've got is not THE data plan I need. So now, I'm planning to switch it to the Enterprise data plan (which is actually 10 bucks a month less than the one I have now).

One question is - and I can't easily find an answer because there are so many threads that go around this issue, but not relate directly to it - will this mess up the BIS e-mail pushing that I have now for my personal e-mail?

Are there any things I need to do before I make this change?

If my current personal e-mail is removed, is BIS still available through BES so that I can re-set my personal e-mail and still get that?

Will my Desktop software still sync with Outlook at home even if BES syncs up my work Outlook (same version of Outlook on both computers)?

I already have the latest version of 4.2 OS that AT&T put out.

Are there any other issues I need to worry about or watch for?

I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.

Joel
Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

You should talk to your BES admin first to find out what sort of security they have in place relating to BIS accounts. The receiving of BIS email will not be impacted, but you may not be able to send AS any of your BIS accounts (it's possible to force ALL outgoing email thru your BES account).

As for the syncing....I'm not sure how/if that will be impacted, since I've never tried that.

You may also want to ask your BES Admin if the IT Policy will force a password (if so, what is the password criteria, timeout, etc), will you be able to download 3rd party apps, etc.

HTH.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
JoelDF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks,

I'll check into that.

At the time I discussed this with the IT guy, he said he didn't think it would affect my existing home e-mail setup to my BB. But, this is also a new IT group handling our office server - they were not the ones who initially set up the BES on our system. And this was before we realized that I didn't have the right data plan to begin with to make this work.

When I do set up the new data plan, will I have to do anything such as wipe my BB and reinstall anything? Or will it just reinitialize itself though the AT&T network?

Will there be any issues if I pay for my own Enterprise plan, but go through the office BES? Where are the permissions set and which part affects which end? Is there a web-based access point in BES like there is with BIS where I initially setup my home e-mail account?

Thanks for the help so far, and I'm sorry for asking so many questions...

One more - Am I making this more difficult than it really has to be?

Thanks again.

Last edited by JoelDF; 09-11-2007 at 09:19 AM..
Old 09-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelDF View Post
When I do set up the new data plan, will I have to do anything such as wipe my BB and reinstall anything? Or will it just reinitialize itself though the AT&T network?

Will there be any issues if I pay for my own Enterprise plan, but go through the office BES? Where are the permissions set and which part affects which end? Is there a web-based access point in BES like there is with BIS where I initially setup my home e-mail account?

Thanks for the help so far, and I'm sorry for asking so many questions...

One more - Am I making this more difficult than it really has to be?

Thanks again.
When you setup the new data plan, the service books should get pushed automatically to your HH. Do a soft reset on the handheld (ALT + CAP + DEL) after the carrier has adjusted the plan and within a minute or so you should be able to activate on the BES.

There won't be any issues with you paying ... carriers don't care who pays ... just as long as someone pays

Permissions are set on the directory / mail environment; this would all be done by your BES Admins. Most likely they won't need to do anything specific to your account as it would have been setup with permissions globally in your org. Are there other permissions you are referencing?

There's no web-based setup / part for the BES that you need to do. The Enterprise Activation does it all. ... You're not making it more complex; just being thorough!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
JoelDF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks again.

This is what I needed to know.

Quote:
Are there other permissions you are referencing?
The only permissions I was thinking about - only because I see reference to such things posted elsewhere - are only for things such as internet access or personal e-mail access. I wasn't sure if the service end (data plan I buy) was separate from the server end (the BES I tie into). I may not have to worry about any of that, but I'll ask our IT guy about it.

You have all been a great help.

Joel
Closed Thread