BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
the_rhino

Model: 7290
Carrier: cingular
Default Can a BES server search 2 different address books?

Please Login to Remove!

Im guessing by default, the BES uses the names.nsf address book which is used by the Domino server. This server also administers users from different sections of our company that has their own address book. I need for the BES to be able to go and look at 2 address books. Server version is 4.1.2.20.

On our old server, we created combined both address books into one and turned off any replication of it. We dont want to have to do this here.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
aschieman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

A user can sync there own address book to the BlackBerry and complete a lookup to the Domino directory - unfortunately, that is all.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel
Default Directory Assistance (DA) is the answer to your question.

I will list down whatever I can remember, old already, memory not good

For setting up Directory Assistance, follow these steps:

1. Create a replica of the External Address Book (e.g. names_EXT.nsf) on the Domino server hosting the BES. Place it under the Data folder (same as the default names.nsf).

2. Create the Directory Assistance database (e.g. da.nsf) on the Domino server hosting the BES. Point the location of the External Address Book to your Domino BES server (you need to read up Domino Admin Help DB for details on this).

3. Modify the server document on the Domino BES and list the Directory Assistance database. Go under the Basics tab of the server properties, and under the Directory Information heading. Change the Directory Assistance database name: to da.nsf.

4. Restart Domino on the BES.

5. Verify proper setup of DA by using the command Show Xdir on the Domino BES console.

For more information, refer to the Domino Admin Help DB!

Good luck!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
the_rhino

Thank you very much. I'll read up on it in the document you suggested.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #5
the_rhino

So DA is setup and I can see all the addresses from the different address books when I do a lookup. What I cannot do is add a blackberry user to the list of users on the BES for device configuration. All I see when I hit add users is the users from the domain which the BES is in. Do I have to use that command line tool in resource kit to do this?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

The users need to be in your domain to add them to the BES, IIRC
Old 04-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
noname

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.

You should be able to add users from the other Domino domain as far as I know. I only have a Domino domain to maintain so a lot of what I understand are from what I read or heard

I believe it has to be something related to ACL. To provide access control, add the "Domino server hosting the BES" to the "LocalDomainServers" group in every other domain.

After you have done the above, a good test would be to load the Notes client shell (nlnotes.exe) on the BES and then try to do a File > Database > Open and see if you can open and access the user's mail database. Just run the program via "Start" > "Run" on the BES.

Whatever your Notes client shell local to the BES can do, the BlackBerry Manager should be able. E.g. List servers and access foreign domain mail databases.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:27 AM   #8
noname

Hey the_rhino, did you try my steps? noname eagerly wanting to know the outcome