Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
jgupta

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Hutch
Default Groupwise messenger implementation

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone implemented groupwise messenger with BES 4.1. I am wanting to do it. Someone help me on how to?????
Old 05-25-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
THafemann
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: US Cellular
Default me too

Hello there, Mind if I follow this thread too? I want to get this working too.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
aschieman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

During the installation, you can choose the IM platform. Once installed, you will see an addition entry in BlackBerry Manager for the Collaboration Server. There will also be an additional tab in the BlackBerry Server Configuration.

There are just a few settings required after that for GroupWise Messenger - hostname and port of the Messaging Agent (MA).
Old 05-29-2007, 06:53 AM   #4
THafemann

Default Did all that

Hey there,

Yes, during the installation, I did all that, I put in the groupwise messenger stuff and port, and hostname, but there is nothing on the blackberry itself that shows any of it. I don't know what to do with my blackberry make the application show up on it.

I have an 8703e blackberry and am running the latest BES server as I just installed it a week ago. I have 4.1.3 sp3 hp 2.

Sincerely,

Tom
Old 05-29-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
zuf

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

You need to define a software configuration and push the IM software to the handheld. The software to push is in the file you downloaded to install the BES. I found the post at http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...tml#post121745 to be helpful in creating a software configuration.

Once the software configuration is created an assigned to your handheld, expect it to take up to four hours to actually push the software.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
THafemann

Default Instruction, hidden really deep

Hey there,

I actually opened an incident and these instructions worked for me. EXCEPT, the last thing you want to do is configure a software configuration for each user.

Here are some steps that you can follow along with to assist you in this task of setting up GroupWise Messenger for you BlackBerry handhelds:

1) Locate C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion, and do Right Click->Sharing.

2) Click "Share this folder", then click the "Security" tab.

3) Click "Add", and select the "Everyone" group. Assign only the "Read" permission to this group.

4) Save your changes.

5) Beneath this folder, create the following structure:

Shared\Applications

The directory path should look like the following:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Applications\GroupWise

6) From an extract point of the 4.1 BES install code, locate the file "groupwise.zip". This is usually under "Research in motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server ###\IM".

7) Extract this file to the last folder created in step 5 (i.e. Shared\Applications). It should create a new folder here with the Messenger files.

8) Open a DOS window, and run the following command: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\loader.exe /index

8a) Ensure that the file "PkgDBCache.xml" exists under the GroupWise Messenger directory you created by the extract in step 7. If so, close the DOS window.

9) Open BlackBerry Manager.

10) From BlackBerry Domain, click on the "Software Configurations" tab.

11) Click on "Add New Configuration" from the common task section.

12) Fill in the fields as shown here:

- Configuration Name: There can only be one per person/group, so it's probably best to name these something like "IT" or "Sales" or "company"

- Configuration Description: optional.

- Device Software Location: Click "Change", then type in the UNC path to the share you created in Step 2 (i.e. \\servername\Research in Motion)

13) You should now see any device software you've installed, along with a section that says "Application Software". Expand this item.

14) Check the box marked "BlackBerry Enterprise Messenger for GroupWise"

15) Click on the "Wireline Only" delivery option, and change it to "Wireless".
Old 06-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #7
jeepstur

Default I did all that tooooo

I have been trying to get this working as well. I have everything above installed. Have the Enterprise Messenger on the BB. When I try to initiate a connection, it won't connect. I have seen in the BB Knowledgebase, that SSL to the agent is needed, but it is not real clear on this. Is SSL really needed?

When I try to connect, I can see the BES make a TCP connection to the Messenger server, but the BB never connects.

Any ideas?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
zuf

Model: 8130

In order for the BES to connect, you have to have your GroupWise Messenger server configured to accept SSL connections. It's been quite some time now since I did it, but I don't recall it being very difficult to get SSL going on the GroupWise Messenger server--I believe the relevant instructions are in Novell's documentation.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:22 AM   #9
THafemann

Default Yes, you need SSL for Messenger.

I think one of the hardest things to get is that you MUST have ssl configured, and it listens on the same port(8300) as does regular messenger.

here are the instructions that work pretty well.

Search Results Page

If you ever wanted to use a 3rd party messenger system, like GAIM, or wanted to use messenger from anywhere OUTSIDE of your LAN, you need to do this.

Trust me, this is pretty easy, the second time. The first time it took me about 15 minutes to go all the way through. Now, when I set these up, it is a matter of minutes.

The only gotcha in this is if you want to use an outside minted certificate. No need, but some people are anal that way.

Tom
Old 06-04-2007, 07:52 AM   #10
jeepstur

This won't stop the clients from connecting when I cut this on, will it? Just want to get the BB's on the system, not run SSL on each desktop client.

Thanks a million.

BB 8830
BES 4.1sp3
GW 7.0.1
Messenger 2.0
Old 06-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #11
jeepstur

Default Got it going

Thanks a million.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #12
THafemann

Default Nope, just works

Hey there,

You have to do nothing to what you already have, it just works.

Tom
Closed Thread