Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #1
imemyself

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Desktop Redirector Questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hey, I'm thinking about getting a Pearl from T-Mobile, but I have a few questions about the Desktop Redirector application.

If it matters, I have sort of an unusual setup as far as email goes. All of the email going to my Cox account is downloaded and stored on a local IMAP server. I also have an Exchange server that I used for calendar, contacts, and tasks. Right now, I can get to my IMAP server remotely, but I'll be going to college in the fall and that probably will not be possible if I take my server with me.
  1. What types of accounts will the redirector work for? IMAP, Exchange, etc? I know it doesn't do calendars and stuff, but that's fine.
  2. Could I set it up to redirect two email accounts (both my IMAP and Exchange accounts)?
  3. Does it work with Outlook 2007?
  4. I would still be able to synchronize calendars, tasks, memos, etc, by plugging the Pearl into my computer, correct?
  5. What about messages I send from my BB, will they be available in Outlook?
  6. Like I said, I'm looking at T-Mobile. Would I be able to use the redirector with the normal BB Internet Service plan($19/mo as an addon, or $29 by itself)? Or would I have to use the more expensive BB Enterprise plan($29/mo as an addon, or $39 by itself)?

And just in general, does it sound like the redirector would work well in my situation? Are there any other suggestions you have about the redirector, T-Mobile, or the Pearl?

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
gziz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular

BES express would be better, its free with 1 user license.

and wirelessly syncs your entire exchange mailbox.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
imemyself

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks for your input gziz. I actually hadn't heard of the express version before. It looks interesting, and being able to sync my calendar and stuff remotely would be cool, though probably not necessary in my case.

I'm assuming that the express edition would require the server to be reachable from the outside. I can probably do that now, but in college I doubt I will be able to run a server that is externally accessible. Also, I'd like to be able to use T-Mobile's cheaper Blackberry plan if at all possible. And I would like it to just work with IMAP accounts in Outlook, in case I'm not able to use my mail server in college. At least I could use it to redirect my university provided account.

Thanks for your advice again, it sounds like BES Express would be a better way of doing things, I just don't know how well that setup would work for me.
Closed Thread