Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 03:07 AM   #1
Bust3rboi

Model: iPhon
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NIL
Default Why Blackberry over iPhone ?

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys , im an iphone user but im not trying to stir up something . Just wanted to know , why did you choose the BlackberryBold over the iPhone . I've done careful research before purchasing the iPhone and found that the iphone(imo) totally surpass almost everything the blackberry can do .

Other than better email support and battery life , may i know why you chose the BBb over the iPhone ? No flames please. Keep it clean .
Old 08-16-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
JW021979
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2 UK

Because I could afford a Blackberry whereas the iPhone was alot more expensive. I got my Bold for free on a £30 a month tariff on 18 month contract. To get an iPhone for free at the moment I would have to spend £45 a month and get a 24 month tariff. Also atbthe time of buying my Blackberry Bold it had several things that the iPhone didnt that I wanted including video recording and MMS (this was a year ago).
Old 08-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

I would have had to change networks to get an iphone.
I like the network Im on.
When getting my Bold, (8 months ago) the iphone still didnt have MMS.
I prefer the physical keyboard.
I didnt want to pay a ridiculas amount of money.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
jflipper

PIN: 2094781d
Carrier: rogers

Phone reception is alot better then an iphone. the iphone expierences alot more dropped calls.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bust3rboi View Post
I've done careful research before purchasing the iPhone and found that the iphone(imo) totally surpass almost everything the blackberry can do
Excellent!
Why even bother with this thread then? Your choice should be obvious.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
Nikon1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: ATT [UL]

I don't like a touch screen: I have an iTouch and using the touch keyboard just doesn't work for me. Physical keyboard is much more desirable. Also, security on the iPhone is almost non-existent: RIM's security keeps me sleeping at night.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
Bust3rboi

Model: iPhon
Carrier: NIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Excellent!
Why even bother with this thread then? Your choice should be obvious.
Yeah it is, thats exactly why i bought myself an iphone . But some of my friends telling me i should have gotten the blackberry instead . None could tell me why though lol. So i thought asking the ones with one would get me better response.

Quote:
Phone reception is alot better then an iphone. the iphone expierences alot more dropped calls.
Hmm, this is quite true. Been experiencing this a little.

More response please ^^
Old 08-16-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell
Default Difficult Choice

I own both devices. They are both excellent!

You must ask yourself what you are buying the device for. The BB is far better for email, SMS, IM and PINning (which the iphone can't do at all.) It is also better for typing and text entry, so if you plan to enter do a lot of data and information entry on the device . . . choose the BB.

The iphone on the other hand is better for surfing and retrieving information from the web and 3rd party apps. It is better for gaming etc. If you are primarily gathering information choose the iphone.

Both devices are good phones. In a nutshell, it is easier to get info into the BB and it is easier to get info off the iphone

Do you want a phone that is communication device or a handheld computer?

In any event you will probably regret your choice

If you are on a GSM network, buy both and switch back and forth

Last edited by roofus; 08-16-2009 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-16-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
duane534
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: AT&T

I think that, had the iPhone 3G-S arrived at the same time as the Bold, this story would look much different. However, nothing can negate the fact that, when the Bold was released, the current-gen iPhone could not MMS, could not copy-and-paste, etc., while the BlackBerry cost less and could.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Security and Email.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

I like the BB been using for years. Stability,security and it does what I need it to do and more!
Plus this fantastic support community. I'm sure iphone has one somewhere
Physical keyboard is a plus ability to replace my battery and facilitate most repairs with out manufacturers help is a plus as well
Old 08-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #12
nobody7290

Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Blackberry has:
Wireless Backup, Does use less bandwidth and money, real keyboard, tight integration with exchange server, VPN to home network, better remote management, keyboard shortcuts, autotext, SD-Card support, multitasking.

The blackberry is the office remotely in your hand, the iPhone is a nice entertainer.

The iphone is getting better for every release, but its still far away from what the Blackberry offers.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8900)

With the BlackBerry being my first smartphone, I feel that some brand loyalty plays in to my keeping the device. More so, however, is that I feel I don't need to change as the BlackBerry fills my current needs. It is available on my network (T-Mobile), it is stable, able to natively multi-task and has good battery life. I am also a fan of the physical keypad at this time. My media needs are met by the default media player and camera. So the BlackBerry works great for what I need.

Last edited by jeremyckitching; 08-16-2009 at 12:01 PM..
Old 08-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #14
jbairdjr

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I have a Storm and an Ipod Touch. The touch can do everything the Iphone can do (except camera and phone). I find that typing on the touch is harder to do than on my Storm. I also find myself using my Storm more and more for all of my media playing. The screen is great, and it plays all sorts of video and audio. With Blackberry media sync, I get all the music from my Itunes account.
Plus, I must be honest, ATT sucks as a network here in Nebraska, so they are a non-option. Maybe when the Iphone comes to Verizon, we may see more adopted, but I'll stick with Blackberry. Email is the best hands down, and I like the company a whole lot better than Apple.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Because I send 30-50 emails per day, plus some text messages and MMS messages, the physical keypad on the BlackBerry is reason enough to skip the iPhone. And I'm the biggest Mac fan you're likely to find. I have a PowerMac desktop computer (typing on it now), several PowerBooks, a MacBook, Apple TV, TimeCapsule, about a gazillion iPods, and sundry other Apple products. But the virtual keypad on the iPhone makes it a total non-starter for me.

If your focus is email-based communication, BlackBerry has no equal.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #16
Assassin

Model: 9500
Carrier: Rogers

Physical keyboard FTW!
Old 08-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #17
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

I had the iPhone as well. I switched to the Blackberry. I like the BES with Exchange much more than Active Sync with Exchange. In fact, I have had several Active Sync devices and once in a while, it ain't so active. BES has had almost no issues. It has had maybe 1 in the year.

I get a lot of email, and for some reason it would drain the iPhone's battery by about 4:00PM. I think it has to do with the attachments. Either way, the Blackberry lasts easily for 2 days without a charge even under heavy email volume. Plus I can easily swap the battery if I want to. Can't do that on the iPhone.

Beyond that, the Tour, has a great keyboard. I have spell check, not just that predictive spelling on the iPhone. I'd rather have spell check. And we have an Auto text feature, which I think is awesome. You can create custom words that get traded for words or even whole paragraphs of text. I have two signatures as a result. If I type "name" or "pname" it adds signatures I have set in auto text. If I type "ikll" it changes it to "I'll". Autotext is a very cool feature.

I also love how the Blackberry has an indicator light on the phone. If that's blinking, you have email. On the iPhone, I have to actually check the phone, rather than just glancing at the Blackberry.

The Blackberry is smart about the holster too. It knows when it is in the holster. It knows that it should vibrate now that it is in the holster. When I take it out, it knows it is out. It knows I can't feel a vibration and it is audible. It's a very smart device. RIM really thought it out well.

As for music, video, we have Media Sync which syncs iTunes with the Blackberry. Anything not protected will work fine. All my music, playlists are on my Blackberry Tour. If I have a video podcast, I can just drag and drop it to the blackberry and watch it there. No problem at all.

The Blackberry with OS 4.7 has a real file system too. I can get an attachment in email. It could even be a zip file. I can unzip it, read and perhaps edit the content, create a new email, attach those items and send them back out. If I want to, I can re-compress them with zip again and send that out.

We have a camera, so we can take photos, videos, upload them to facebook or send then via MMS.

Essentially we have many of the same features, but I happen to like the Blackberry software more. It's more on the professional side I think. iPhone is a fun device, but the Blackberry is thoughtfully executed. I found myself unhappy with the iPhone.

It's personal things that really will decide it for you. Getting my email very quickly is actually pretty darn important to me. I often have a lot of money riding on my getting emails as they arrive in. Not ten minutes later, or in some cases with Active Sync, over 2 hours later.

I make commissions and my clients expect to hear from me. I'm also an investor with several alerts that arrive via email. Getting those alerts late can actually cost me a lot of money. So I need the most reliable device available. And that's the Blackberry. I don't think anyone can make the case that the iPhone is more reliable. Or that the iPhone's active sync is better or faster than BES on the Blackberry.

It seems fairly clear that the iPhone wanted to be a consumer device from the start. But that Apple later decided to try to retro-fit it as a business friendly device. However, it really does not meet that class of quality. Having to carry a battery charger around with you in case the battery dies is simply not going to work for me. And if I get a lot of 1 ~ 5 MB emails I can't accept that the phone can't handle it without the battery going south before the business day has even concluded.

Some features the iPhone recently got that used to really make me dislike it even more. There is finally cut and paste, so that's a plus. You still can't run an app in the background, which is sort of cheesy. We can run IM in the background all day and night and it doesn't do a thing to the battery.

One more thing about the iPhone I dislike is that when you do type, you lose half the screen to the keyboard. My Tour has 480 x 360 display. And that's with full use of a keyboard. How much screen real estate do you imagine you have while the keyboard is showing? Barely anything right? I still have my 480 x 360. And that means I can truly work in excel or docs in Documents 2 Go. If I am typing messages, I can still see much of the text. It's easy to scroll that text up & down too. Editing is super easy on the Blackberry. And I get to spell check it all.

I just see the Blackberry as well made and thought out product. I don't feel the same can be said for the iPhone. I think what can be said for the iPhone is that it is slick and cool. But I need more than fancy looking phones.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #18
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Buy the BB for work and the IPod Touch /Gen2 with the OS3 and you can have everything you need.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #19
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Not even a fan the iPod Touch. Which I also owned. Actually, it's pretty cool as long as you are not an audible book fan. The way it shows chapters not good. Best device I ever owned for audible content is the Creative Zen Moziac. But the Zune is pretty good, too.

Actually the regular iPods do a better job with Audible. Not in terms of sound quality. Specifically in how it shows your location in the book.

I'm actually interested in that new Zune HD myself. I'd switch to the Zune except that managing music on the Tour is made easy via that playlist function in Media Sync, which works with iTunes, not Zune. If RIM made it "Marketplace" aware, I think I would ditch iTunes. It feels extremely bloated on the PC. I am sure it's awesome on the Mac, but on the PC, it's not a good application.

Sorry, don't mean to be so down on Apple. Nothing against them at all.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #20
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I had a BlackBerry before there was ever an iPhone. Like someone else said, I like my carrier and do not want to switch. I also prefer the keyboard and am not really interested in a touch screen, although the Storm 2 is looking mighty attractive. But the biggest thing I appreciate about the BlackBerry is security. The iPhone is a great toy, great eye candy, but I would not pick it over the BlackBerry.
Closed Thread