BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
mzancz

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon
Default Domino server hangs after 5.1 install

Please Login to Remove!

I set up a Windows 2008 32 bit server which is a VM. I installed Domino Server 8.5, and I launch the server it starts up just fine. After I install BES 5.0.1 on the server, and reboot I can access the BES admin service fine, but the when I try to launch the Domin sever it just hangs. By hangs I mean I get the black server window, with the first entry in it about the server, but it never makes it to the point where it prompts for a password. I have tried unistalling Domino and installing it again but I get the same thing. Since it is a VM I have even tried going back to the point where only Windows was installed and then installing Domino again and then BES 5.0.1 again, and each time I get to the same point. It appears as if though the BES side is ok, but after the BES install my Domino server no longer wants to start up properly. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
mzancz

I just also found out that if I stop all the BlackBerry services and then set them to manual and reboot, then the Domino server open up fine. So it must be something with one of the BlackBerry services that is stopping the Domino server from starting up. Any ideas with this additonal info?
Thanks Again!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
mzancz

So after a day of talking to RIM, still no resoultion. Does anyone know of any ideas that might be causing this?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
mzancz

Still nothing. Where are all the BES experts?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
tsawyer

Model: 8700
Carrier: att

When using BES5, the Blackberry Controller service will take over starting and stopping the Domino server as needed. The proper setup is to have the Domino service set to manual and the Blackberry Controller set to automatic and it should start properly. You will need to log in to the Windows console via the VM client or via RDP using the -console option in order to see the Domino server window running. In our setup, the Domino service is actually specified using the "-jc -c" parameter which lets you run jconsole.exe and view the Domino console from any logged in session instead of only from the Windows console.

If your Blackberry Controller is still not starting Domino properly then double check to see that both the Blackberry Controller and the Domino service are set to run as "local system".
Old 04-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzancz View Post
Still nothing. Where are all the BES experts?
I bet they are all looking at the events for WES 2010 and preparing for their trip.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
mzancz

Thank you for the reply. I do have the Lotus Domino Server Service set to manual, and it is set to run as local system. The BlackBerry Controller was also set to run as local system, but if I set it to automatic and restart the server I cannot launch the Domino server. It open up but stops at the first line that states the release version it does not get to the nest entry where it ask for your password for the server id. When you say login into the windows console via the VM client, I am using the VM gui client software, but I am not sure what you mean by the -console option? Any more ideas? Today I even set up a brand new VM from scratch, new windows install, new notes install with a new notes server name, and then installed BES 5.0.1 and I have the same exact issue!

Oh, and I am going to WES 2010 too, but I wanted to be up and running on this by the time I went!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

Can you clear off the passsword for your server.id and try again?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
mzancz

I could but the domino server console basically freezes when it starts up if the controller is started first so I do not think it would matter. Since the last post I have done the following. I have the controller service set to manual. When I bring the server up, I first start up domino, once that is up I start the controller and all is well. I have even transported over a few users including myself and everything works. It has been running this way for almost a week now. I have also rebooted several times and started things up the same way and it always comes up ok as long as I start things in the above order. My ticket with RIM was supposedly handed off to a higher up analyst who said he was researching my ticket. That was days ago and I have not heard anything back, thanks RIM! One of their techs earlier suggestions was to reinstall everything from scratch, so I had done that one more time knowing it wasn't going to work since I had already done that about a million times already. Since they had no clue it was there only suggestion. I am going to contact them back today to see if they have any updates, but I am not getting my hopes up. Everything is running anyway I just have to start up things like I said.
Closed Thread