Old 06-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #101
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf13 View Post
I do wish the 9700, 9700a or 9710, whatever it will be called, was as wide as the 9000 though, i really hate that tiny 9700.
Join the club. I hate it too. I was upgraded to it via the corporate account but gave it back after a couple of weeks. The 9000 seems to have the right screen for my eyes and the right kb for my fingers. Sadly it doesn't have the right memory space for my apps. If the 9000 form factor could be released again with more memory and the trackpad i would be happy for a couple more years.

As for new models coming out, i don't know about any 9700a or 9710 but the Slider is expected and there are some pics and videos leaked. By the looks of it it's gonna be called the Torch. The domain is already registered by RIM. Size seems about right since you seem to like the 9000 form factor like i do. Give it a try when it's out. I know i will.

Domain Name: blackberrytorch.com

Created on..............: Mon, Apr 12, 2010
Expires on..............: Thu, Apr 12, 2012
Record last updated on..: Mon, Apr 12, 2010

Administrative Contact:
Research In Motion Limited
Domain Administrator
295 Philip Street
Waterloo, ON N2L3L3
CA
Phone: +1.5198887465
Email: [email address]
Old 06-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #102
Gooddog
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothRunnings View Post
You think that's going to stop companies from using the ActiveSync in Exchange to hook up their iPhone employees?

You forget it costs companies $100 per user to operate BES, were chances are they have already paid for the licensing with Microsoft for Exchange; they will start to wonder why they should have to pay twice.

Current companies using BES may still switch to iPhone's if it's true about the economy and they start to hire more people.
Exchange ActiveSync devices and the upcoming Win 7 phones from MS could mount a considerable challenge to RIM. If the mobile device can be managed from Exchange securely RIM can lose market share in the ca$h cow Corporate market. Besides the per device licensing fee's for a full blown BES, you can add several thousand dollars more to the operating expenses each year for RIM support per BES. It adds up quickly.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #103
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

This thread is still going on??

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #104
darkamikaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 20d94251
Carrier: AT&T or Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
This thread is still going on??
Ofcourse!

I think all RIM needs is a waay better browser, a better chip to handle some graphic intensive applications and a better way to get apps rolling along :X .

+ keeping all the stuff it already has.. then ZOMG. amazingness in a pod
Old 06-27-2010, 12:52 AM   #105
barbarianthemadserb

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMOBILE

Just my two cents on this thread heading..."The sky is falling...The sky is falling" cheese!
Old 06-27-2010, 01:08 AM   #106
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

What makes ANYONE think that the new Windows Mobile phones will be any better than the older, horrible, Windows Mobile phones. No threat there.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:11 AM   #107
OzzieDog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Windows coming out with a "new" windows mobile? Is it still a pig only with a dress this time?
Old 06-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #108
scottd.home
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VERIZON
Default Outlook synch - Droid

TXLady

"Different people have different priorities. Mine are email and PIM functions (contacts and calendar) and being able to sync with Outlook. I find BB much better for these. Syncing contacts between Droid and Outlook required third party software (for two way sync). Calendar could be synced through gmail but gmail messed up all of my recurring annual appointments like holidays and birthdays. Droid liked to combine contacts (and sometimes it made no sense the way it decided to combine them)."

Your requirements sound very similar to my own, and as I consider my options and what OS platform to remain with...I'm just curious about how you tried to synch your Droid to Outlook. What 3rd party application did you use? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #109
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Hey I bought the 9700 and expect RIM will not let the market go away without a fight.
Keep looking for the 10000
Old 06-29-2010, 04:02 AM   #110
ihaz3g

Model: iphne
Carrier: at&t

i got a 9700 too
Old 07-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #111
muntu

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

Until someone can compete in the Business Sector RIM aren't going anywhere.

Yes it may cost money to run BES but for security nothing can beat it at the moment.

Our top bosses don't care that some people may want to install Twitter or FB on their phones. What they require is that when they send me an email that I get it quickly and securely and that I have the ability to reply 24/7/365.

Also when work calls me at 2am in the morning that the phone works.

RIM does need to expand in to the teen market and they are doing it. Here in the UK girls have been getting BlackBerries in their thousands because they want BBM. I'm not 100% sure why BBM holds them so much, because most of our plans now come with unlimited texts. A lot of these teens only want to use it for three things

1) Messaging (BBM/SMS/MMS/Email)
2) As a phone
3) Social networking (Facebook).

Most will never install an app to work out how much their bill is for pizza between four of them.

You also need to look at the cost of plans. Over here for £30/month, you can get a free 8900 with 600mins of calls, unlimited texts, 500mb of data and BIS. If you get an iGodPhone you have to pay £119 for the phone and £35/month. As a parent that may have to pay contracts for two or three kids that adds up.

I have Bold 9000 for work and for work it is great. It does the things required of it. I was given a Storm and loved it despite its foibles. However it became unreliable and I went back to the Bold.

For my personal device I have just bought a Dell Steak. Android and a 5" screen. Far too big for a lot of people, but for me it's great. I have my Twitter, Weather and Engadget widgets running plus other apps and a few silly games and the Kindle app (which is great on the 5" screen). The browser is brilliant and makes me wonder how I put up with the Storm's lousy browser for so long.

Even running Android 1.6 it is very quick and will get better with 2.2 later this year.

When my contract runs out at the end of next year I'd be more than happy to go to a Storm 3 or 4 IF AND ONLY IF it has at least a 4.3" screen, a proper browser and decent widgets. Will that happen? I don't know, but I do think RIM needs a decent touch screen phone and good developer support.

Sorry for wittering on for so long. Hope one or two find my post interesting.

Last edited by muntu; 07-01-2010 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: Spelling mistakes.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #112
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

The problem with "the business sector" is it is relatively small compared to the personal sector. I am a really old business professional in the IT business, I have been doing the BB thing now for 5 years. My company would provide me one too, but I prefer to forward on-call pages to my personal BB.

I don't see allot of change in RIM over the years and the market is changing. RIM is very similar to Apple in that it builds it's own devices, software, etc. Both were happy releasing "new" products once or twice a year. But my current 8310 curve isn't really much different than my 8700 or the model I had before that. Yes it has a camera, might be a little faster, have a few new apps, nothing earthshattering, just like the Iphone4 isn't that much different that the Iphone3, especially since the 3 OS is updateable to the newer OS, even if it is really buggy

Then came Android, with hundreds of manufactures all releasing a new product weekly, it just changes the development time line to the point that I don't believe RIM or Apple will be able to keep up.

I am planning to leave RIM for a DELL Streak, but some of the things that really shock me in the Android sector is how new and empty the basic phone comes. I just assumed that there would be a Device Manager like on the BB, that did basic sync, backups, application loader, etc. But from what I see, no, most things are done OTA and there are 100s of apps out there that do the same thing, you need to pick one or 2 or 3 to accomplish what just comes standard with every BB.

That said, all the apps I use on my BB are supported on Android, etc ColorID. (I use this for my on-call pages I get for work).

I think what will hurt RIM & Apple in the long run is the limited offers they have. Not that they are bad, but they are very limited and everyone has different preferences. The Android offerings are so varied that you can find something for everyone. A very more updates to the basic OS and RIM and Apple will be fighting for the #2 spot.

Just my 2 cents,
Old 07-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #113
muntu

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

Mitch

The Streak - as per my post above is great (but not as customisable as a BB).

The PC Suite is VERY basic. You can backup and sync & that's it.

Lots of stuff on BB are better but Android is moving along nicely & more apps will come quickly.

n.b. just be aware that Dell in the UK are charging extortionate prices for their accessories

See here Accessorise your Dell Streak | Dell UK

It takes a proprietary charging cable instead of a mini usb and in the link above you'll see they are £23.99 from Dell = $36.38.

Hopefully in the near future there will be 3rd party ones.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #114
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by muntu View Post
It takes a proprietary charging cable instead of a mini usb and in the link above you'll see they are £23.99 from Dell = $36.38.
Well, I don't expect to do any accessories, as for charging cables, it is sad that everyone doesn't use a standard mini-usb plug, but then neither does Blackberry

A few weeks ago, my teammates were looking for the charging cord for our team blackberry, when they found it, I said "No, that isn't a standard mini-usb, it won't fit", but to my shock it was the correct cord, looks like a flatten mini-usb.

I think these companies do this just to sell accessorires :(
Old 07-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #115
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_mitch View Post
Well, I don't expect to do any accessories, as for charging cables, it is sad that everyone doesn't use a standard mini-usb plug, but then neither does Blackberry

A few weeks ago, my teammates were looking for the charging cord for our team blackberry, when they found it, I said "No, that isn't a standard mini-usb, it won't fit", but to my shock it was the correct cord, looks like a flatten mini-usb.

I think these companies do this just to sell accessorires :(
The new standard is micro-USB.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 07-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #116
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

One would expect "a really old business professional in the IT business" to notice that all new non-Apple devices are shipping with the micro USB connection. Guess not.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #117
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
The new standard is micro-USB.
the new standard? Your being far too kind.

It's been out for well over a year now. Actually I take that back, it's been over 2 years now.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #118
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

I thought I would ask the bit question..

Has anyone bailed on RIM yet? We all still seem be in this thread talking about it for a while now.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #119
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
I thought I would ask the bit question..

Has anyone bailed on RIM yet? We all still seem be in this thread talking about it for a while now.
I just bought an iPhone 4.

Everything I didn't like about the Droid and the Storm II do not seem to be an issue with the iPhone. But, keeping an open mind, I could tire of it after a few weeks or months but for now, I am very impressed.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #120
Shaolin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Bell

I'm waiting for the Vibrant to come to Canada. My buddy's a rep at Bell and I told him the instant he gets a working model I want a demo, and then I'll wait for in-depth reviews from bloggers and tech forums to make a decision.

I hope there's more news on the slider coming out of the woodworks though, more importantly a release date which will make my decision easier this year!
Closed Thread