Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
brad_pickering

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default SMS help!

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, new to this forum and new to BB. I am a Palm addict but I just purchased a 9530 and unlocked from Verizon and using AT&T. I can make and receive calls, and have voicemail access. I can receive text but cannot reply or send new text or mms. I have not installed not installed AT&T service books because I do not have USB cable yet. What gives? I do not have a BB data plan yet but this did not stop me with my Treo 750. I did a quick searched of the forum and found some similar questions but not exact. Can someone help? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Is this a pre-owned 9530?
If you go to Options > Security Options > General Settings, does it list anything next to IT Policy?

Also, you will need a BlackBerry Data Plan in order to get the necessary service books for MMS, Email, Web Browsing, etc.
Service books do not get put on your device via USB cable. They are delivered wirelessly when you activate your BB data plan.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
brad_pickering

Carrier: AT&T

Penguin, yes this is a used 9530. I did a wipe and cleared some of the old data out. The IT policy list "default".
So, I need a BB data plan to send and receive SMS also? BB is very confusing to a Palm user...please forgive my BB ignorance.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

No, you don't need a data plan for SMS.
However, the fact that it has an IT Policy on it means it was previously used in a BES environment, and that IT Policy (despite being named 'Default') may be restricting your use of certain features on the handheld.

The previous BES admin may have altered the default IT Policy which is not at all uncommon.

You'll want to reset that 9530 back to factory defaults.
Search for and download jl_cmder. It makes it easy to reset your 9530 back to factory settings.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
dawiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 31394XXX
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_pickering View Post
Hello, new to this forum and new to BB. I am a Palm addict but I just purchased a 9530 and unlocked from Verizon and using AT&T. I can make and receive calls, and have voicemail access. I can receive text but cannot reply or send new text or mms. I have not installed not installed AT&T service books because I do not have USB cable yet. What gives? I do not have a BB data plan yet but this did not stop me with my Treo 750. I did a quick searched of the forum and found some similar questions but not exact. Can someone help? Thanks in advance.
Your problem may be a simple one. Check to see if your Service Center number is correct:
Options>SMS>...Service Center:
Old 09-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
chitowner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: VZN

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_pickering View Post
Hello, new to this forum and new to BB. I am a Palm addict but I just purchased a 9530 and unlocked from Verizon and using AT&T. I can make and receive calls, and have voicemail access. blahblahblah
How did you unlock your phone? Do you know if VZN will allow an unlocked phone?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

There is no need to unlock the 9530 to use IT on Verizon.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:37 AM   #8
chitowner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: VZN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
There is no need to unlock the 9530 to use IT on Verizon.

Sorry, but my question was basic and generic; I only ask HOW to unlock, I did not state a reason to do it, but I thought it was still pertinent to the thread.

CT
Old 09-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowner View Post
Sorry, but my question was basic and generic; I only ask HOW to unlock, I did not state a reason to do it, but I thought it was still pertinent to the thread.

CT
How to unlock your device:
How do I unlock my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ
Closed Thread