Old 11-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default Storm - GPS Discussions

Please Login to Remove!

Post your GPS discussions on the Storm in this thread.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
vermifax
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I'm most interested in which gps pucks will work with the storm as Verizon probably locked out the internal one.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Thom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermifax View Post
I'm most interested in which gps pucks will work with the storm as Verizon probably locked out the internal one.
You should read through all of the threads in this forum. The general concensus seems to think that GPS will be functional. It has already been posted from a user who has a Vodafone Storm confirming that BB Maps is working without having to pay for anything extra. You could also see this link which compares some of the recent phones from RIM and the GPS features.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)

This link was also previously posted in this forum. Comparing the 8830 and Curve to the Storm you will see that the GPS feature is not available. However the Storm does have it available. Of course Verizon could still lock it down but everything that has been posted thus far from those who have touched the phone at Verizon launch events states that BB Maps worked.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: Rogers

GPS will be unlocked for use with BBMaps and Google maps. However the A-GPS function will not be unlocked and will require a monthly fee or whatever Verizon charges for their VZNav.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
six attack
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mark View Post
GPS will be unlocked for use with BBMaps and Google maps. However the A-GPS function will not be unlocked and will require a monthly fee or whatever Verizon charges for their VZNav.
What is the difference between "GPS" and "A-GPS"?
Old 11-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
00hoangc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

A-gps means the gps is assisted ? meaning its more accurate and locating your position to say 10m accuracy instead of 3000m lol
Old 11-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
DeadRinga
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

a-gps is just faster, not more accurate i thought.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
00hoangc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yeah its faster and more accurate
Old 11-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
docew
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sorry - posted this elsewhere, but I think you'll find it interesting. This is straight from the horses mouth this am.

Dear XXXXXX,

Good Morning. My name is Kristin, and I am delighted to assist you with the GPS feature on the new Blackberry Storm.

XXXXX, I am sorry at this time the Blackberry Storm does not include Open GPS.

Though, the phone does offer the wonderful feature VZ Navigator. This is a portable GPS Navigation system for your wireless phone that includes the following features and benefits:

* Spoken directions: turn-by-turn directions help you locate an address or one of 14 million points of interest in the U.S., including hotels, golf courses, shopping centers, restaurants, hospitals, ATMs and more.

* Gas prices - find out how much a fill up will cost you.

* Mapping - view a map of your current location or other U.S. addresses.

* Customized routes- choose from the fastest, shortest and simplest routes.

* "Fastest" routes are selected based on estimated travel time. They are faster to drive but can be longer in distance.

* "Shortest" routes are selected based on total travel distance. They can take longer to drive due to speed limits.

* "Simplest" routes contain the fewest possible turns but may take longer to drive and may be longer in distance than other route options

* Auto redirection - if you miss a turn, VZ Navigator automatically downloads new directions and gets you back on track.

VZ Navigator has both monthly subscription and per day pricing options. The monthly subscription charge is $9.99. The daily charge is $2.99. The per-day option is good for 24 hours. You will be charged $1.99 per megabyte for the initial VZ Navigator download and any subsequent upgrades unless you have the $15 V CAST VPak feature or a Nationwide Premium Plan. You will not be billed for the actual use of the application.

The Monthly Subscription and per day pricing options are available via Get It Now on your wireless phone. VZ Navigator can be downloaded through the Get It Now Store, under the "Get Going" category.

Once the VZ Navigator application is accessed, it is easy to use. You can use the service to locate and get directions to a specific address you already have available or to use the Local Search function to locate a specific business or location from within a large database.

For additional information on VZ Navigator, please visit the following link:

Verizon Wireless: Tools & Applications Detail

You may also view a "How To" guide for VZ Navigator by visiting:

How to Use Guide: VZ Navigator<SMALL><SUP>SM</SUP></SMALL>

I make it my personal goal to provide the best customer service in the industry. I hope that I have done that for you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Kristin

Verizon Wireless

Customer Service
Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Bummer. That could mean that the Storm will basically like every other phone Verizon sells. They all offer navigator for $10/month. The old tower triangulation dealio. My old Moto V710 could do that. I hoped the Storm might be better, but maybe not. What, now it'll tell you gas prices? How cute. How about Budweiser prices at Circle K and QuickMart, can it handle that?

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 11-19-2008 at 01:53 PM..
Old 11-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
docew
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
How about Budweiser prices at Circle K and QuickMart, can it handle that?
I'd pay $10 a month for that....
Old 11-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #12
jnyost
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

GPS is known to be unlocked. You do not need VZNavigator.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
docew
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
GPS is known to be unlocked. You do not need VZNavigator.
Interesting...good to see that their own reps are so knowledgeable on these products.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #14
Triforce66
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: IsSharpAndPointy
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I am so confused.. one person says they know the GPS is locked, another says they know that it will be unlocked.. I guess the only way we are ever going to know is tomorrow when there is a huge amount of posting of people yelling or cheering..
Old 11-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #15
Thom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triforce66 View Post
I am so confused.. one person says they know the GPS is locked, another says they know that it will be unlocked.. I guess the only way we are ever going to know is tomorrow when there is a huge amount of posting of people yelling or cheering..
You should check out the review of the Storm from BGR. He stated that BBMaps is not installed on the Verizon Storm and only VZ Navigator. He went on to say that BBMaps can be installed and the GPS worked just fine with it. VZW wants you to think that you need VZ Navigator in order to use the GPS.

BGR Review (posted previously by - zerog46):

Verizon BlackBerry Storm review : Boy Genius Report

Last edited by Thom; 11-20-2008 at 09:22 AM..
Old 11-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #16
Triforce66
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: IsSharpAndPointy
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
You should check out the review of the Storm from BGR. He stated that BBMaps is not installed on the Verizon Storm and only VZ Navigator. He went on to say that BBMaps can be installed and the GPS worked just fine with it. VZW wants you to think that you need VZ Navigator in order to use the GPS.

BGR Review (posted previously by - zerog46):

Verizon BlackBerry Storm review : Boy Genius Report
Lots of great info in this report, thank you for telling me about it!
Old 11-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
Quiss

Default Our VZ Rep said that GPS is enabled

Our VZ Technical Rep and Account Reps came by with a Storm on Tuesday and we asked them very pointedly about the GPS. They said that GPS is unlocked and the latest version of the Storm software includes Maps (they've had a steady stream of updates). According to them, GPS is available for all 3rd party apps for no additional charge although, being VZ reps, they did tout the benefits of VZ Navigator, their $10/mo service.

Hope they're right!

Last edited by Quiss; 11-20-2008 at 03:53 PM..
Old 11-22-2008, 12:44 AM   #18
Cochese
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: The Tail on the donkey.
Carrier: VZW

I have a Verizon 9530. Two actually. I used BB Maps (came on the devices) and successfully tracked 11 satellites with it. I installed Google Maps afterward, OTA while waiting for my wife in the car, and it triangulated with data, but was having issues with GPS. It went from "GPS temporarily unavailable" to "waiting for GPS" but I never got a lock. I waited about 5 minutes before I got antsy and started messing with other stuff.

I am new to VZW (Been with TMO since they were voicestream) so I clicked on the VZ Nav to see what it did. Tried to start charging me money so I deleted it from apps. I also deleted the visual Voice Mail or whatever it's called. An interesting caveat... the device forces a reboot with a deletion of an app, unlike my Pearls and Curves that did no such thing...

I wish GM worked with GPS. Maybe it was a fluke an it'll work fine in 5 minutes. Who knows.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:50 AM   #19
wiredwrx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: T=Mo

I get the same thing. No GPS lock with GoogleMaps, just signal triangulation.

Perhaps whoever said GPS was unlocked was in a pre-production version, or a different OS version, cause mine aint working. If there is a fix, let me know, please.

Michael
Old 11-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #20
Wounded Knee

Model: 7130e
Default BB maps yes - google maps no

Same experience here. GPS works on BB maps but not google maps or beyond 411. Any ideas?
Closed Thread