BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
phrozted

Model: 8703e
Default Push Email or Not?

Please Login to Remove!

I was under the impression when I purchased my Blackberry that it got "push" email. Having jealously researched push email for a week or two while the tortured owner of a Motorola Q (which barely managed email at all, let alone push), I was really excited about the prospect of email which, according to most definitions of "push," would come almost instantaneously to my handset or at least within a few minutes of having been sent.

This is, however, not what I have with my Blackberry. Emails arrive on my handset anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes after they've been sent. I regularly check the actual sent time of the emails and compare it to the time of receipt and am almost always disappointed. I'm not receiving emails any faster than I was on the Motorola Q.

I've deleted email accounts, reinstalled them, reset my machine--none of that works. This is an obviously just the way the Blackberry email client operates, but it's not at all what I expected.

In brief: does the Blackberry have push email or not?

*Another question: I'm not receiving emails after 2 AM. At about 7 AM in the morning all of the emails I received during the night come flooding in. I don't turn my phone off when I sleep, and it's not set to shut itself off. It remains completely on--I know this because I'm able to receive calls long into the night (I've been woken up on occasion). Why am I not receiving my mail at night?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #2
KCM
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozted
I was under the impression when I purchased my Blackberry that it got "push" email. Having jealously researched push email for a week or two while the tortured owner of a Motorola Q (which barely managed email at all, let alone push), I was really excited about the prospect of email which, according to most definitions of "push," would come almost instantaneously to my handset or at least within a few minutes of having been sent.

This is, however, not what I have with my Blackberry. Emails arrive on my handset anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes after they've been sent. I regularly check the actual sent time of the emails and compare it to the time of receipt and am almost always disappointed. I'm not receiving emails any faster than I was on the Motorola Q.

I've deleted email accounts, reinstalled them, reset my machine--none of that works. This is an obviously just the way the Blackberry email client operates, but it's not at all what I expected.

*Another question: I'm not receiving emails after 2 AM. At about 7 AM in the morning all of the emails I received during the night come flooding in. I don't turn my phone off when I sleep, and it's not set to shut itself off. It remains completely on--I know this because I'm able to receive calls long into the night (I've been woken up on occasion). Why am I not receiving my mail at night?

What type of email account are you configuring? I personally have BIS and have true PUSH with my Gmail account. Really easy set-up.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
moosehead
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
PIN: tucked behind a bunker
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:

Sounds like you may have set up your emails to be forwarded? I have BIS and have my gmail and yahoo pushed. Will arrive on my BB before I get notification from my pc that i have new web mail. Let's look and see if you are forwarding?

In regards to your last question....it sounds like you have the Auto ON/OFF enabled. To check this Options -->Auto ON/OFF Verify both weekend and weekend are disabled.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
phrozted

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCM
What type of email account are you configuring? I personally have BIS and have true PUSH with my Gmail account. Really easy set-up.
I'm also using a Gmail account.

I'm using the Blackberry Internet Service.

And yeah, setup was fantastically simple. Still, emails are slow.

How do I check to see if I am "forwarding"? As of now, this problem is affecting both my Gmail account and my university IMAP account (standard IMAP).

If you two are both receiving push email, then I should be able to. Is there some option I have checked or something I'm not understanding.

In addition, when I called Verizon Wireless, my service provider, I was told by a customer service rep that, in fact, Blackberry's do NOT have push email unless you have corporate exchange stuff set up. I told them that was bullshit, but is it?

Ben
Old 12-14-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
moosehead
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: tucked behind a bunker
Carrier: AT&T

I'm on BIS as well with Cingular. And like I mentioned I receive gmail and yahoo before I even get a notification on my pc. Yes setting up your email accounts on your BB is very easy. Log into you gmail web account. Go into Settings and click 'Forwarding and POP'. Verify Forwarding is disabled. I have POP enabled.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Yes, it's wrong. ALL BlackBerrys have push e-mail capabilities, out of the box. If your e-mails are being sent to your vzw.blackberry.net account or to your Gmail or Yahoo accounts, and they're set up correctly in your BIS, then you should be receiving them immediately.

Quote:
I'm also using a Gmail account.

I'm using the Blackberry Internet Service.

And yeah, setup was fantastically simple. Still, emails are slow.

How do I check to see if I am "forwarding"? As of now, this problem is affecting both my Gmail account and my university IMAP account (standard IMAP).

If you two are both receiving push email, then I should be able to. Is there some option I have checked or something I'm not understanding.

In addition, when I called Verizon Wireless, my service provider, I was told by a customer service rep that, in fact, Blackberry's do NOT have push email unless you have corporate exchange stuff set up. I told them that was bullshit, but is it?

Ben
Old 12-14-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

I have a 7290 and a gmail account. There is a delay with some mail providers and cell phone companies, gmail and tmo are some. I use to have yahoo and TMo, emails were sent immediately; with gmail and TMo, emails are sent every 15 minutes or so, unless you forward your email to an account that can pickup the email instantly, because for some reason gmail does not. You might want to contact your cell phone service provider and see if there is anything that they may be doing with their blackberry service, that does not send the email immediately to you.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

He's already mentioned he uses Verizon. Gmail delivery is immediate (or is supposed to be and works fine for me) on VZW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy
I have a 7290 and a gmail account. There is a delay with some mail providers and cell phone companies, gmail and tmo are some. I use to have yahoo and TMo, emails were sent immediately; with gmail and TMo, emails are sent every 15 minutes or so, unless you forward your email to an account that can pickup the email instantly, because for some reason gmail does not. You might want to contact your cell phone service provider and see if there is anything that they may be doing with their blackberry service, that does not send the email immediately to you.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
phrozted

New development: it would appear that for the moment I am getting instant push Gmail.

The problem is with my IMAP account. I sent emails to my IMAP account using three different email accounts (yahoo, gmail, and hotmail) on the computer. Within a minute of being sent, each one popped up in my IMAP inbox. But not on my phone. Now, almost thirty minutes later, all three popped up at the exact same time on my phone.

Any idea what's causing that? I do know that already have my IMAP configured to work in the Apple Mail client on my computer. Is that slowing things down?

Hmm.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Uh, yeah. Your BIS has to poll your IMAP account and it only does that every 15 minutes. If you forwarded your messages from IMAP to your vzw.blackberry.net address, it would be instantaneous. Or if you setup a Gmail or Yahoo account directly in BIS. Otherwise, BIS has to poll and there is a delay.

From the way you're now describing it, everything is working as designed.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:57 PM   #11
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Gmail and Yahoo are instant delivery for everyone. Just add them to your blackberry. Forward no more.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #12
phrozted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin
Uh, yeah. Your BIS has to poll your IMAP account and it only does that every 15 minutes. If you forwarded your messages from IMAP to your vzw.blackberry.net address, it would be instantaneous. Or if you setup a Gmail or Yahoo account directly in BIS. Otherwise, BIS has to poll and there is a delay.

From the way you're now describing it, everything is working as designed.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. If the BIS has to pull email from my IMAP account, clearly it isn't push.

What's more, I have a vzw.blackberry.net address, but it isn't even receiving instantaneously, apparently. Just found that out a second ago. I pulled up yahoo mail on my computer and e-mailed my vzw.blackberry.net account. Nothing has shown up on my Blackberry ten minutes later.

Meanwhile, another problem: I went to the Email Settings icon on my Blackberry in order to mess around with settings and to add a new email account--guess what happened? The browser loaded for what seemed like an eternity, and finally the following error came on screen: "A communication failure occurred with the selected provisioning server. The server may be busy, please try again later. If the problem persists contact your service provider."

This is beyond ridiculous.

Is something going on with Blackberry?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #13
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

With all due respect, it isn't the device. It's your understanding of what it should do. Your device's address (vzw.blackberry.net) IS push e-mail. That isn't to say that there aren't delays every once in a while, but by and large it's extremely reliable. Too, the delays could be on Yahoo's end or anywhere in between.

Also, as has been previously stated, Gmail and Yahoo accounts, if set up directly in your BIS settings (not forwarded to an intermediate account), have instantaneous delivery. BES accounts are also instantaneous. Everything else has to be polled.

ADDED: BlackBerrys still offer the most consistently reliable push e-mail solution. It's as good as you're gonna get. Others will argue Good is just as good (no pun intended) or Microsoft is up and coming. But the truth is that all these other solutions have a long way to go to be able to compete.

Last edited by gdpmumin; 12-14-2006 at 08:22 PM..
Old 12-14-2006, 08:35 PM   #14
wiredwrx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T=Mo

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean. If the BIS has to pull email from my IMAP account, clearly it isn't push.

What's more, I have a vzw.blackberry.net address, but it isn't even receiving instantaneously, apparently. Just found that out a second ago. I pulled up yahoo mail on my computer and e-mailed my vzw.blackberry.net account. Nothing has shown up on my Blackberry ten minutes later.

Meanwhile, another problem: I went to the Email Settings icon on my Blackberry in order to mess around with settings and to add a new email account--guess what happened? The browser loaded for what seemed like an eternity, and finally the following error came on screen: "A communication failure occurred with the selected provisioning server. The server may be busy, please try again later. If the problem persists contact your service provider."

This is beyond ridiculous.

Is something going on with Blackberry?
Let me try and break it down for you as simply as I can.

BB has the ability to PUSH and to PULL. Other devices have no PUSH.

What determines the PUSH or the PULL for your BB is not RIM or the device, it is the E-Mail account you are using. Gmail and Yahoo have setup the ability to have e-mail PUSHED to Blackberrys. HOWEVER, LittleSmallISP.com does not have that ability. No matter that RIM might want PUSH that e-mail account, it is not possible because LittleSmallISP.com doesn't have the ability.

You IMAP account doesn;t have push. It has nothing to do with your BB or RIM.

Now, there are ways to overcome that such as forwarding, or perhaps, redirector, but it is not standard, and has varying degrees of success.

Michael
Old 12-15-2006, 01:04 AM   #15
phrozted

Makes sense to me.

Then again, there's still the problem of my IMAP emails not coming after 2 am and showing up in one big bunch at around 7 AM.

Auto ON / OFF is *not* enabled. No clue why this is happening.

Ben
Old 12-15-2006, 01:49 AM   #16
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

That almost certainly has to be a server-side issue completely unrelated to the BB.

Quote:
Makes sense to me.

Then again, there's still the problem of my IMAP emails not coming after 2 am and showing up in one big bunch at around 7 AM.

Auto ON / OFF is *not* enabled. No clue why this is happening.

Ben
Old 12-15-2006, 10:17 AM   #17
phrozted

I'd be willing to accept that if it weren't for the fact that my IMAP emails definitely are being sent in real time--at any hour of the day or night--to both the server and my computer email client. It's interesting that it doesn't end up on my phone, though.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #18
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:

"Push" doesn't define delivery time -- it only defines delivery method. Generally, push should be faster as you're not waiting on strictly defined pull intervals. However, a number of factors can affect delivery time: coverage, RIM infrastructure issues, carrier wireless network issues, and the BIS polling intervals. Generally, BIS polls email accounts every 15 minutes though IIRC the intervals are shorter if mail has been recently retrieved for a given account.

I'm not sure why you're having problems with your IMAP account. I don't have any experience with them and therefore can't really comment on how they integrate with BIS.

Technically all email delivered to a Blackberry device is push as the device itself doesn't have a pull client. However, to in order to integrate other email accounts, BIS has to pull email from those accounts and then push them to the device. In other words, the push between BIS and the device should be pretty much instantaneous (barring any issues mentioned above) but there can be a lag between email getting from your legacy accounts to BIS itself. Hopefully that gives you a slightly better idea of how things work and potential isses.

If delivery timing is absolutely critical, then you really need to use BES but that approach has its own set of caveats.

No email to a wireless device will ever be instantaneous 100% of the time, however a Blackberry (BIS or BES) is really the best (current) push solution around. Sorry you're having such problems with your IMAP account. Have you tried searching to find cases where others have tried integrating IMAP accounts with BIS?

Last edited by takeshi; 12-15-2006 at 10:40 AM..
Old 12-15-2006, 12:40 PM   #19
9duc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

Hi all, just an fyi, I have a home DSL account with Covad... as of about a month or so ago, all my @covad.net emails are PUSHED instantaneously to my BB, and reconciles also. I also have Gmail and Yahoo accounts that are pushed and reconciled, as has been well documented on this board. I use BIS, 7130e on Sprint.

Just wanted to let everyone know that there are indeed a few "small" isp's that have the capability to push to blackberry...

No affiliation with any company listed here, in case you were wondering!
Old 12-15-2006, 05:19 PM   #20
armandov99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I didn't realize that GMail was that fast now. When I got the BB, only Yahoo was pushed instantly, so I set up GMail forwarding to the blackberry.net address.

I just switched it to where it's set up from the T-Mobile site to get my GMail directly, with no forwarding, and everything works perfect! New mail hits the BB as soon as it hits my GMail inbox, and sent mail has the correct reply-to information. All I had to do was create a filter on T-Mobile's site not to forward my sent messages to the handheld (to get rid of the duplicate problem) and that was it.

I didn't know GMail was now working quickly like this, thanks!
Closed Thread